Sustrans National Cycle Network - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 22-06-2016, 23:30

My Motorhome: Devon Provence
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboat View Post
During my recent trip away I didn't often have internet access, yet I wanted to know where there were potential cycling opportunities.

It appears you can only access the Sustrans map online, or you have to buy a paper map for a particular area. That gets expensive, and who wants to carry loads of paper maps anyway?

It strikes me that it would be ideal to be able to download the network onto a smartphone, which you could then search for the area you're in and expand as necessary, and then carry the phone in your pocket or mount on the handlebars.

I've been looking for an app for my Android phone but, being a bit of a techno-numpty, I'm struggling a bit. Can anyone recommend a way of doing what I'm looking for, or is it just not possible?

I tried saving the Sustrans map (off their website) as a document on the laptop, but it will only display when Wifi is connected.
I would recommend that you download Osmand+ on to your smartphone. Its an offline mapping and navigation app but it has many of the NCN cycle paths already loaded into the data PLUS there are many other cycle routes on there as well. I find Osmand to be the best of all the offline mapping apps, the level of detail is superb and as a sat/nav it is first rate. We used it recently during our three week trip around Brittany and it behaved perfectly. It is pretty data heavy but you can download one country at a time or even specific regions of countries if you have limited storage on your device. You can configure your maps for vehicles, bikes or pedestrians and you can select "cycle routes" in the settings and you will find NCN cycle routes highlighted in blue with appropriate NCN number alongside. As previously mentioned there are many other cycle routes, like the Tarka Trail in North Devon for example. I should also add that Osmand has a Contour Lines plug-in which is useful for knowing how hilly your cycle ride is going to be. If you want any info to help you decide give me a PM.

Infamy, infamy! They've all got it in for me!
The Following User Says Thank You to caulkhead For This Useful Post:
tugboat (23-06-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 23-06-2016, 08:14 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Bessacarr E725
Thanks, Caulkhead, I'll deffo have a look at that.

I'm daft and proud of it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page