Cyclo cross - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 02:53

Personal Aire
Most of my mates now have CX bikes. A few do a race series in late Autumn, but all use them for Commuting in the winter.

Weve just done the Tour of Flanders, and two of the lads used their bikes for it. The biggest complaint is the bikes are heavier and dont have the same response as a proper road bike.
tubbytuba and tubbytuba like this.

Rollerteam Autoroller 700, Ford Transit 140 T350
Mertie Moto

My Travels https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...M.kY_dTDvKO74w
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 15:59 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalspa View Post
The film of the ride looked good - but tiring. Looked a bit like an event I did many years ago in north Norfolk, starting/finishing at Castle Acre.
For many years I took a mountain bike away with me with full 2inch+ nobbly tyres on. A couple of years ago I changed the tyres to 1.5inch semi slicks so that I could do more miles when out on my own (usually wife with me, so speed/distance restricted). At home I always went out on my road bike, but only want one bike (each) to put on the rack so last year I got a hybrid with 28mm tyres on, but can go bigger. I really enjoy the ride on the hybrid - it has got same gearing as the road bike but a more upright riding position. I have put on Time Atac pedals that I can clip into, or ride with trainers on. Definately a best of both worlds. I assume that a cross bike is similar to the hybrid, but slightly longer reach and either drop or straight bars.
Cycling is a big part of our motorhoming as we use the bikes to "tour" around when we park up. Wife will want an electric bike next, but we are resisting this move for as long as possible. She only likes flat terrain though - canal tow paths in France are ideal.

DavidL
Cross bikes are more like road bikes but with more clearance to allow slightly thicker tyres, I only have one ring on the front so less gears make climbing tougher but I'm a pretty strong climber so manage ok. Managed to get over Trapping hill in the Dales this morning a lot easier than I expected.

Steve.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 16:14

My Motorhome: 2007 Hymer B654
Steve.
I thought the cross bikes must have more clearance than on a road bike. I bought a used Specialized OCR bike a couple of years ago which had straight bars fitted. Lovely ride but when I put 700 x 28 tyres on there was virtually no clearance, so that was when I then got a used Specialized Sirrus hybrid. I need to start to get rid of some of my bikes - got a garage full (6 of my own, 1 son's and 1 daughter's + wife's)
What size tyres do you ride on?

DavidL

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 16:33 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalspa View Post
Steve.
I thought the cross bikes must have more clearance than on a road bike. I bought a used Specialized OCR bike a couple of years ago which had straight bars fitted. Lovely ride but when I put 700 x 28 tyres on there was virtually no clearance, so that was when I then got a used Specialized Sirrus hybrid. I need to start to get rid of some of my bikes - got a garage full (6 of my own, 1 son's and 1 daughter's + wife's)
What size tyres do you ride on?

DavidL
I ride 23's on road bike. Cross bike must be 25's or bigger not sure.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 07:36

Personal Aire
I run 25's on my roadbike all year round.

Theyve done belgian cobbles, Surrey back lanes and the A27 most days.

Bigger tyres = more comfort

The technology in them now means they are all good with puncture protection. Although i run Gatorskins, and they have been faultless.

Rollerteam Autoroller 700, Ford Transit 140 T350
Mertie Moto

My Travels https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...M.kY_dTDvKO74w
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 09:21 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbosps View Post
I run 25's on my roadbike all year round.

Theyve done belgian cobbles, Surrey back lanes and the A27 most days.

Bigger tyres = more comfort

The technology in them now means they are all good with puncture protection. Although i run Gatorskins, and they have been faultless.
Yep, sorry. It's 25's on my road bike and bigger on cross bike.
Road bike is a Trek Domane 2015, which are built for comfort. Bigger tyres, flex in seat post and gel in bar grips. Old bones need a bit of cushioning Did a 100 miler on Sunday and apart from fatigue no aches and pains.

The new Domanes have even adjustable flex in seat post!

Steve.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 09:32

My Motorhome: Chausson Welcome 610
I have a TT bike (it's a modded Ti road bike I use for triathlon), a road bike and a hardtail Ti mountain bike - recently sold my full sus MTB and my singlespeed (too bloody hilly where I moved to!).

I have been toying with getting a CX bike - or in more modern parlance, a gravel bike (very little difference between the 2), or even more so, me and the missus getting a road tandem.

as they say, N+1 is the rule for bikes!
tubbytuba and tubbytuba like this.

and the Lord said unto John "come forth and receive eternal life". but John came fifth and won a toaster........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page