Big Cat river Ebro - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 23-02-2018, 10:40 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholsong View Post
Ray

It was about time we had more of you two on the Ebro. I can't remember when you last posted about it. Are you still going every year or have you missed some?

Geoff

Wellll here's the rub, the nice folk at the DVLA have decided that I can not drive my motorhome anymore and have taken my C1 part off my licence, I am on my 3rd appeal but to be honest it is that long without any trips I an coming round to bugger it..

We are going to the Turkish side of Cyprus next Saturday for a week, make a change from Paphos, I will evaluate it all when we come back, it might be the end of an era, happened with diving but that was my decision, just sticks in my craw that some unknown entity who knows bugger all about me can just wipe out a part of my life, even though my Surgeon says I am back to normal and can drive, my Doctor says the same that I can drive, the DVLA gave me my normal car and bike licence back a couple of weeks back, so I can whizz along in the Jag in the fast lane, but I can't plod along in the van!..

Daft like brush.. So the van will probably be up for sale I ain't going smaller I need the tag axel's carrying capacity.

ray.

Embarrassingly, when I make love, I let out long deep breaths. It bothers me, but Sandra insists that sighs doesn’t matter.. . . ray......
The Following User Says Thank You to rayrecrok For This Useful Post:
nicholsong (23-02-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 23-02-2018, 11:32

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayrecrok View Post
Wellll here's the rub, the nice folk at the DVLA have decided that I can not drive my motorhome anymore and have taken my C1 part off my licence, I am on my 3rd appeal but to be honest it is that long without any trips I an coming round to bugger it..

We are going to the Turkish side of Cyprus next Saturday for a week, make a change from Paphos, I will evaluate it all when we come back, it might be the end of an era, happened with diving but that was my decision, just sticks in my craw that some unknown entity who knows bugger all about me can just wipe out a part of my life, even though my Surgeon says I am back to normal and can drive, my Doctor says the same that I can drive, the DVLA gave me my normal car and bike licence back a couple of weeks back, so I can whizz along in the Jag in the fast lane, but I can't plod along in the van!..

Daft like brush.. So the van will probably be up for sale I ain't going smaller I need the tag axel's carrying capacity.

ray.
Ray

Sorry that you are having continued problems with DVLA and your C1. Fingers crossed that they will relent. Is downsizing the MH an option?

As for N. Cyprus, I knew it before the partition and it is certainly beautiful, but my only visit since has been when I was on a contract flying for Sun Express based in Antalya and had to fly into N. Cyprus. I felt very uncomfortable about that, as I think that the Turkish invasion was illegal and immoral.

To get to N. Cyprus one still has to fly from a Turkish airport since no routes are permitted from other countries, because no country other than Turkey recognises N. Cyprus as a Sovereign State. So you may well be flying via Antalya.

Anyway enjoy your holiday, and if you go to '5 1/2 mile beach' East of Kyrenia there is/was an excellent taverna overlooking the beach where I had a great lunch with a beautiful Swedish model, so please have at least a glass of wine in memory of my visit please.

And do go up to Bellapaix in the hills above Kyrenia - it is the village featured in Lawrence Durrel's book 'Bitter Lemons' where he talks about 'sitting beneath the Tree of Idleness', which stands in the square next to the Church. It might be worth a read before you go; Durrel spent some time in Nicosia when in the British Diplomatic Service, so knew the island well.

Geoff
rayrecrok and rayrecrok like this.

Last edited by nicholsong; 23-02-2018 at 11:39.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 23-02-2018, 11:42

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Personal Aire
Quote:

ray.
Bummer!

Have you checked the sub 3500kg market Ray for Payload? I know what you mean though. Ive struggled for years to find a replacement Hank at any weight with a rear lounge that has the capacity to take a scooter but you prefer the fixed bed front lounge layout so you may have more scope to get something sub 3500kg that might take what you need in a garage?

Ill sell you my Kontiki if you like. Sub 3500kg, takes a scooter and almost 700kg of Payload. One careful lady owner.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 23-02-2018, 12:23
GMJ

My Motorhome: 2012 Autotrail Comanche
Personal Aire
Ray

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems . I do hope it sorts out for you so you can carry on MHing.

Graham

Myself and my wife love to SKI...

...as in, Spending the Kids Inheritance

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 23-02-2018, 13:05 Thread Starter

We bought a new static caravan the week before Christmas to replace our old one at Aldbrough, they put it on the same plot for us overlooking the lakes. We know all the folk round us and they are a good bunch, as well as all the fishermen and woman on the park who look after me and get my gear down to the lakes now that I am a bit iffy on mi pins ..

We use the static all year so it is worth the upgrade, trouble is they cost a load of money a lot more than a newish motorhome, so all the spare spondulis have been sucked up in that purchase..

Ah well like diving we have all my friends from that time and all the diving memories, same with the motorhome been there done that got the tea shirt and still got the friends.

Oh and I still hold the record for the biggest carp out of our lakes..

ray.
Drew, Drew, barryd and 3 others like this.

Embarrassingly, when I make love, I let out long deep breaths. It bothers me, but Sandra insists that sighs doesn’t matter.. . . ray......
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 24-02-2018, 14:07

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
Personal Aire
Its just emerged that the real video of that fishing trip has gone viral on youtube. Ray tried to keep it quiet as he didn't have a permit for this particular fish nor did he expect to catch it.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 24-02-2018, 14:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryd View Post
Its just emerged that the real video of that fishing trip has gone viral on youtube. Ray tried to keep it quiet as he didn't have a permit for this particular fish nor did he expect to catch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Qp9...ature=youtu.be
How does one know what type of fish has taken one's Bait?

Even if from its 'running' behaviour one can guess, surely cutting it loose, without landing it and extracting the hook and line cannot be the right thing to do, can it?

Just askin'

Geoff
JanHank and JanHank like this.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 24-02-2018, 15:41

Personal Aire
Well in the original video you can see its a flaming big Cat Fish! Im not sure whether Ray actually took it out of the water but in the second one Im note sure I would fancy putting my hand in its gob to get the hook out.

Most hooks will be shed by a fish after a day or two I Think, even barbed ones. Ray will tell you the facts better than me. Ive not been fishing for years but used to do a lot in Ireland and the Lake District.

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 24-02-2018, 15:57 Thread Starter

Catfish are easy to land, you put a gardening glove on grab the thing by the bottom jaw and lift it out, you need a pair of pliers to get the hook out as the flesh is like rubber, one twist with the pliers and the hook just pops out. A cat I caught a couple of days after the vid was so big I couldn't lift it out by myself, a Spanish guy who was watching me grabbed hold of the bottom jaw with me and we managed to pull it out of the water on to the landing stage, it was longer than me when I laid down at the side of it for a comparison of size , it must have weighed a good 200 lb.. The inside of a cats mouth does not have teeth but pads like sandpaper which will rough up your hand without a glove on..

As for cutting the line, if you are that iffy as a fisherman you have know rights doing it, all fish must be landed carefully and the hook removed, if the line breaks during the fight it is unfortunate but the hooks we use over in the UK are usually barbless, and they fish throws them after a period, or the next angler who catches it will remove it, anglers are very caring in their fish management approach, it is a price the fish have to pay on commercial waters for all the free food they get, getting caught...

ray.
barryd, barryd, nicholsong and 3 others like this.

The Following User Says Thank You to rayrecrok For This Useful Post:
nicholsong (24-02-2018)
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 24-02-2018, 16:48

Quote:
Catfish are easy to land, you put a gardening glove on grab the thing by the bottom jaw and lift it out, you need a pair of pliers to get the hook out as the flesh is like rubber, one twist with the pliers and the hook just pops out. A cat I caught a couple of days after the vid was so big I couldn't lift it out by myself, a Spanish guy who was watching me grabbed hold of the bottom jaw with me and we managed to pull it out of the water on to the landing stage, it was longer than me when I laid down at the side of it for a comparison of size , it must have weighed a good 200 lb.. The inside of a cats mouth does not have teeth but pads like sandpaper which will rough up your hand without a glove on..

As for cutting the line, if you are that iffy as a fisherman you have know rights doing it, all fish must be landed carefully and the hook removed, if the line breaks during the fight it is unfortunate but the hooks we use over in the UK are usually barbless, and they fish throws them after a period, or the next angler who catches it will remove it, anglers are very caring in their fish management approach, it is a price the fish have to pay on commercial waters for all the free food they get, getting caught...
ray.
Much as I speculated Ray - thanks for informing.

Geoff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page