Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/)
-   Fishing (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/232-fishing/)
-   -   Rod Licence (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/232-fishing/136809-rod-licence.html)

mistycat 17-04-2015 10:37

Rod Licence

Hey Guys,
excuse my ignorance on this, when I use to fish we always called it a rod liecence,
now is that true or is it a fishing licence?
the reason I ask is, that if I take a hand line and fish with that do I need a liecence,
wont be serious fishing, just a past the time away thing of chucking a line in, and hoping nothing to big bites,
its amazing the places I have been whilst sitting on the bank day dreaming,
Misty

EJB 17-04-2015 12:18

https://www.gov.uk/fishing-licences/...need-a-licence

It does mention 'Rod' everywhere....however in my area there have been prosecutions involving people who catch fish by various other methods.
Whether they were prosecuted because the removed the fish I don't know but no doubt local/river authorities will have very specific rules.

adonisito 17-04-2015 16:45

1 Attachment(s)
I don't know if you need one when when using a hand line, but this is not really practical in freshwater anyway. If I were you I would buy a proper rod and reel and the rod licence to go with it. Gear has gone down in price a lot recently and you could get a decent combo package fairly cheaply. Then buy the rod licence to go with it. You'll catch more, have more fun and won't be constantly looking over your shoulder for someone that may appear official. Here's what to expect (Motorhome about 5 yards in the background!)

mistycat 17-04-2015 20:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by adonisito (Post 1388641)
I don't know if you need one when when using a hand line, but this is not really practical in freshwater anyway. If I were you I would buy a proper rod and reel and the rod licence to go with it. Gear has gone down in price a lot recently and you could get a decent combo package fairly cheaply. Then buy the rod licence to go with it. You'll catch more, have more fun and won't be constantly looking over your shoulder for someone that may appear official. Here's what to expect (Motorhome about 5 yards in the background!)

I have still got all my gear, comes out now and then, usually fish at a fishery that has the licence for you, that's what he tells me, so haven't bought a licence for a ling time think it was £16 then,
no room for rods and box in our van, that's why I was thinking of just taking my hand line and a few bits,
I do have a small telescopic rod, never used it might think of taking it,
but thanks for the advice,
by the way I was thinking about in france and Europe,
thanks Misty

adonisito 17-04-2015 20:45

I buy the annual French rod licence, that's because I fish seriously for about 4 months a year over there. It costs me 90 E. BUT for a bit of fun with telescopic rods or handline I cannot believe you'll have a problem without the licence. I've seen kids, adults etc on holiday having a go and I'm pretty sure they don't pay the money for a couple of hours in the sun with a rod. i have only been asked once by the Garde de Peche, but I am pretty obvious with 3 rods and loads of kit. Quite honestly I would just fish, or ask the nearest French fisherman. Most I have spoken to seemed to have no idea or no licence !

However LEGALLY you need one, but this is France !!!!

vicdicdoc 17-04-2015 22:59

Nah, rod & line is for pussies, do like the Cypriots used to do in the '60's . . . Stick of dynamite & wait for the fish to come belly up. :wink2:

jncrowe 17-04-2015 23:17

I have been reliably informed that you need a licence to fish in just about any freshwater locations even a bath in your yard !!
Quote from Post office info on Rod Fishing Licence
""Stay on the right side of the law
Make sure you are fishing legally. Any angler aged 12 or over, fishing for salmon, trout, freshwater fish, smelt or eels in England (except the River Tweed), Wales and the Border Esk (and its tributaries in Scotland) must have an Environment Agency Rod Fishing Licence. ""
Fishing clubs or Fisheries do not have a "licence" that covers the people who fish there
I have fished all over the UK and have had my licence inspected on numerous occasions
I live on a fishery and have my own area of Lake to fish in and I still need a licence.
Tight Lines XX

mistycat 17-04-2015 23:21

"Rod Licence"
I was asking about a Hand line,
I know you need a licence for rods but not sure about a hand line,
Thanks Misty