What's the best fold up fishing rod? - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 18-09-2013, 22:00 Thread Starter

What's the best fold up fishing rod?

Thinking ahead, himself is talking about taking up fishing when we retire next year, can anyone recommend a good folding fishing rod? That might solve the problem of his Christmas present!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 18-09-2013, 22:06

If you go to any good fishing tackle shop they will have several telescopic rods for you to choose from.
If you have a Decathlon near you then they also have plenty.

Mike
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 19-09-2013, 02:34

Most of the fold up rods are really only toys, will not cast far of last very long as most have weak cheap metal or sometimes plastic/nylon gears. However having said that many years ago my sister brought me a little 'Popeil's Pocket Fisherman' home from Australia (you can still get them on EBay). I kept it in the glove box and it was a great little thing to have for those times when you found yourself accidentally at a fishing spot. Over the years my kids and I have caught many little perch, trout and even wrasse and flatties from the sea. Sea fishing eventually killed it but I missed it so I bought another one, not as good quality as the original but it still works ok. If you fancy getting one try and get an original better quality brown coloured one from the 70's ( Ebay again) rather than a newish one which is black. As i said , it's a bit of a toy but it works, will fit in a big pocket, just open the compartment in the handle, out drops the mep for example already attached to the line, fold out the the little rod part till it clicks into place, press the button and cast, so easy -- us big kids love it.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 19-09-2013, 12:51

I've got two Shakespeare "ugly stiks"

http://www.shakespeare-fishing.co.uk...avel,6517.html

Caught loads on them including a 20lb ray!

Really good quality

Eddie

If you are a Van Bitz customer and have comments on your service please Leave Feedback for Van Bitz
Reviews are important to us.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 19-09-2013, 18:06

My Motorhome: Hymer B584
John Wilson Avon Quiver Travel rod if its coarse fishing in lakes and rivers. Comes in lots of little sections and very nice to use. Not really a starter rod though but an impressive and good quality prezzie.

Make sure its the Travel one, the other is a 2 piece.

fatimasaysell.com is Mrs Adonisito's interesting blog!

Link to our album
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 19-09-2013, 21:55

My Motorhome: Elddis Accordo 125
I'm an occasional angler and carry a basic kit with me. I often use an old 12 ft telescopic rod with varying success (down to me, not the tackle).

If you are buying gear don't forget a landing net of some description. He could be surprised by a biggish fish fairly early into the new hobby - my nine year old granddaughter's first fish was a four pound carp. It would have been a bugger to land with no net.

As someone has already said, go to a good local tackle shop and you should get good advice.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 21:51

avon rod

thanks adonisito for the comment on the john wilson rod, I have been looking at getting one myself
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 22:23

Hey up.

Success is inversely proportional to the quality of the tackle used, buy the wrong tackle for the type of fishing he intends to do will guarantee failure, and he will not carry on it will be chucked in the back of the shed..

A rod is only one part of the stuff he will need to go fishing, a landing net has already been mentioned, he will need a reel and various end tackle, disgorger for taking out any hooks which get swallowed beyond reach of your fingers..

Maybe instead of going out and buying what you think, maybe go on e bay and look on there, you might be able to buy a complete set of tackle from someone who is giving up for not that much more money, and he will then have a proper set up with more chance of success, you really need someone who is a fisherman to put you right on what to buy..

Don't make it a secret, ask him what he expects to be the kind of fishing/fish he wants to catch, if he hasn't a clue get a couple of fishing magazines so he can get clued up, if he knows you have cracked it ..

And most important of all, make sure he gets a fishing license from any post office or on line to fish in the UK and make sure it is the right type of licence, you don't want to have an environment water bailiff guy checking and he hasn't got one, or he will get a criminal record, that's nailed on.

More to fishing than a rod eh!..

ray.

Just watching a shifty looking geezer in the library searching intently through the 'S' section of the dictionary, he's stopped now.

I think he's up to something. . .. . . ray......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page