A quick update on the river Ebro. - Page 4 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 13-10-2013, 14:47

Great report and photo's Ray. Just finished my 5th carp fishing trip into France this year the last of the season. Nothing as big as you have caught though

In total 27 cats to 37lb and 143 Carp to 46lb. Managed to break three lake records on two lakes. The most Cats in one day, most Cats in one week and the most Carp in one week.

Really will have to get into Spain and try it for myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 16-10-2013, 18:20 Thread Starter

Hi.

The 50's keep coming, well not far off 60lb, this one two days ago, nothing yesterday a 30lb er about 2pm today.

And flicking through the pic's I noticed fat dog haveing a taste of one to see if she could manage it for her tea. Never saw her doing that too buisy trying to hold the thing it is like a bar os soap .

ray.

Just watching a shifty looking geezer in the library searching intently through the 'S' section of the dictionary, he's stopped now.

I think he's up to something. . .. . . ray......
post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 22-10-2013, 10:52 Thread Starter

,Hi.

Well the lack of sun where we were camped and now great big banks of dead floating weed, with strands that dangle down 20 feet have forced us to move to a spot which we normaly fish, the castle swim about 2 miles up river but nearer the town and water source.

Our last fish at the other swim was another 50lb + and I know in the swim I am in it will not be as productive and most of the fish come through during the night, but hey ho I am not getting up in the middle of the night to mess with a fish, I am not greedy and have caught more than my share of fish on this holiday and if I didn't catch another it wouldn't be the end of the day.

But I did catch something yesterday an hour or so after setting up camp, the rod tip started knocking and the alarm giving off the odd beep, just like when a large roach manages to hook itself on a size 2 hook as they peck away at the pellets.. Well what I caught was a first for me, infact I have never even seen one in the flesh so to speak even though the Spanish Navy as we call them, the flotella of small boats that go out all over the river daily to catch them and they eat them, a Zander about a couple of pounds..

Now I would like to say I hooked it fair and square but that would be telling porkies, it had been caught and lost and was trailing the old hook length with a swivell atached and that is what caught on my line, so my first Zander was by default.

Talking about roach hooking themselves, a few days ago on the old swim, I had the same knocking at the tip for about half an hour, it would rattle the end then stop so I just ignored it until the rod bent over and the alarm set off as a fish took what I thought was the pellets, and it was obvious from the weight of the fish it was another extremely large catfish.. I started to try and turn it towards the boat landing we used to get the fish out and sucseeded to get about half the distance to it when the line suddenly went slack, bugger thats gone, but wait the line feels different as I retreived it, low and behold a pound roach was on the end, the line had gone right round the roach lassooing it but it was dead and well mangled, the Siluro had taken the fish and would not let go as I had not hooked it just the roach..

Would have like to have seen that cat it would have been impressive. Talking about the cats, one of the local English guides broke the Spanish record last week, I havent a clue what it is but all the town is on about it, it must have been a right cloncker!.

And finally the swim we are in under the Castle on the hill.. About a month ago in the spot we are in now "Dangerous Steve" was camped fishing in his small delapitated motorhome, he won't chance taking it back to England as he says it wont go over them mountains so he just parks it up somwhere till the following year..
Well as we looked one Sat night the couple of miles down to this swim, we could see blue lights flashing in this spot, we assumed it was the local plod moving everyone off this part of the Ebro or it was a road block to stop traffic as it was the very impressive firework display that night to celebrate some festival or other.
On passing on the scooter we called in for a chat with Steve and I just mentioned about the blue lights and he said "Oh those it was for my mate he was climbing up the bank and suddenly fell back down, he died of an heart attack", it was the ambulance and police that attended the scene we could see, Steve flew home last week for the funeral, he came back a couple of days ago and where he is now who knows, and he was having problems finding somwhere reasonably safe to abandon his van till next year .

Ah well it takes all sorts.

ray.

Just watching a shifty looking geezer in the library searching intently through the 'S' section of the dictionary, he's stopped now.

post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 25-10-2013, 13:15 Thread Starter

Hi.

Well we have now moved on the weed has beaten us, don't come to the Ebro in the autumn when the weed is dying off, realistically the end of September is when you should be going in my opinion as the weed starts in earnest the beggining of October with floaty stuff at first which goes over your line, then strands start to sink as the weed dies so there is more underwater than on top, just like an iceburgh

So over the 8 weeks or so we fished the Ebro realisicaly from the one swim what did I catch.

Well 4 PB's

The best the 55lb carp that Sandra caught as she says "All by my own" which is what our eldest grandson used to say when he was a toddler. So proud of her....

Me two 60lb carp.

My biggest Siluro.

And a second hand Zander

So the list.

26 Common Carp, 10 Siluro (Wells Catfish), 7 Roach, hundreds of small bleak on the whip while we waited for a run on the main tackle, 1 Zander and 1 Crucian carp.

2 no...60lb common carp.

6 above 50lb.

12 above 40lb.

5 above 30lb

And the tiddler 1 at 20lb.

--------------------------------

1 Catfish 200lb

1 cat fish 130lb

8 between 60lb and 110 lb.

The roach all caught by accident as they nibbled the dissolving pellets.

The small crucian caught when fishing corn on the normal feeder rod, oh and I just remebered I caught a small 8lb or something like that common carp on the same rod with corn as bait.

Fish lost 12 all to the same snag to my right looking out accross the river, probably a sunken tree covered in Zebra Mussels.

So who is up for a bit of fishing on the mighty Ebro?..

ray.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page