Just joined - 2016 BAILEY AUTOGRAPH 730 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

4Likes
  • 1 Post By Drew
  • 1 Post By JanHank
  • 1 Post By den111s
  • 1 Post By den111s

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 18-11-2018, 17:48 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: BAILEY AUTOGRAPH 730
Just joined - 2016 BAILEY AUTOGRAPH 730

Hi Guys,

Pleased to be joining you and have recently acquired our 730. Previously had 779Merc Rapido and 555 Hymer. We live in Shropshire.

I am a retired Automotive Engineer and have kept myself busy with various projects. I also have a lifelong hobby of Trumpet playing.

We are are enjoying the 730 and have covered about 1200 miles over the last few weeks. Generally speaking we are very pleased with the 730 and its returning about 32.5mph (calculated) on a run, running at about 63mph on the cruise control when possible.

After the other motorhomes one thing I find strange about this Bailey is that when on hook-up, the charging system never charges the Cab battery, only the Leisure battery. (Confirmed by voltmeter testing) Bailey and BCA will not provide circuit diagrams

Is everyone elses the same ??

Regards

Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 18-11-2018, 18:48

Hi Dennis, Welcome to the forum.

There are ways and means to charge the cab battery when on hook up, i.e. a Battery Master or if you are willing, a DIY job.

Just ask.

Drew
den111s likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 18-11-2018, 19:10

My Motorhome: I drive...Auto Trail Navajo
Personal Aire
Hello Dennis,
Looks as if you mean to be part of the forum as you've filled in a few details, thanks.
Next step is to pay the going rate to become a full member.

Welcome to the forum, its informative, pally and fun, depending on how you feel from day to day.

He's a Moozishun musician folks.
den111s likes this.

I'm Jan
We learn something new every day.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 20-11-2018, 17:59 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Hi Dennis, Welcome to the forum.

There are ways and means to charge the cab battery when on hook up, i.e. a Battery Master or if you are willing, a DIY job.

Just ask.

Drew

Hi Drew,

Thanks for your post and kind welcome.

When parked up at home I use a small Maypole 4amp intelligent charger coupled to the jump start connections under the bonnet. This works fine, but always means a second mains lead and charger.

I spoke to Bailey and sent them a request to answer on this problem. They referred it to BCA their electrics supplier who suggested taking it to my supplying dealer. only prob is that he is 100+miles away. I get the impression it should operate the same as my previous motorhomes ie. it should charge BOTH batteries when on hook-up. The Control Panel offers you the option of checking your battery voltages - which works fine on the Leisure battery, but when I try to get the Cab battery reading the screen just "greys out" and it refuses, then jumps back to the Leisure batt reading.

The suppliers seem to regard their circuit diagrams as "top secret" unless you are in the suppliers loop. There is nothing high tech so I think it is a ploy to make money from the owners preventing them checking things for themselves. It may just be a hidden fuse that has blown and i will persue more when I have time.

I have noticed this Bailey problem crop up a few times on the forums so I wondered if any other Autograph owners here were affected. ?

I think the easy way to check is to see if you can get a reading for your Cab battery from the Control panel readout.

No reading - No connection.

Regards

Dennis
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 20-11-2018, 18:04 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanHank View Post
Hello Dennis,
Looks as if you mean to be part of the forum as you've filled in a few details, thanks.

Welcome to the forum, its informative, pally and fun, depending on how you feel from day to day.

Hi Jan,

Thanks for your kind welcome and I look forward to taking part in the forums and giving mutual support to other members

Regards

Dennis.
JanHank likes this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 20-11-2018, 20:46

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Welcome Dennis. It seems very poor service that Bailey can't even tell you how it *should* work.

It certainly sounds as if there's a loose, or blocked, connection.

But I'm the last person to be giving advice about electrics!!

Jean
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 21-11-2018, 18:01 Thread Starter

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiwawa View Post
Welcome Dennis. It seems very poor service that Bailey can't even tell you how it *should* work.

It certainly sounds as if there's a loose, or blocked, connection.

But I'm the last person to be giving advice about electrics!!

Hi Jean,

Yes, I think Bailey felt rather vague, but seem to rely on their BCA supplier to "tell" them. It doesn't exactly feel that they gave the supplier a "specification requirement to meet" this, otherwise someone at a technical level in Bailey should know this and inform the end user if it is meant to work.

Its the sort of thing many Autograph owners may not be aware of unless they check their Control Panel reading to see if it will tell them the Cab Battery voltage. In effect it means that your Cab battery will never have any charge while you are on Hook-Up, which seems a retrograde step in technology and user convenience on a new motorhome.

Regards

Dennis
Pudsey_Bear likes this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 21-11-2018, 20:33

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
I'd say it's a definite fault. My hymer has what sounds the same sort of control panel - turning the knob shows me 1. The hab battery charge 2. The cab battery charge 3. The fresh water level 4. The waste water level. (I don't necessarily have that in the right order!)

It's the same knob that I would push to disconnect the 12v supply.

Jean
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 22-11-2018, 05:56

My Motorhome: 2007 Ace Siena
Thanked 1,103 Times in 1,040 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanHank View Post
Hello Dennis,

No!! he only said he played the trumpet Gert, not that he was good at it.

Welcome to MHF Dennis
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 22-11-2018, 11:22

My Motorhome: Rapido 640F
Welcome to the forum Dennis. Not sure why Bailey should be so secretive about their wiring diagrams. My Rapido manual carries a complete wiring diagram plus full text explanations of how it should work. This is very useful in diagnosing faults. My CBE panel shows vehicle battery voltage, habitation battery voltage and current drain. The vehicle battery should charge when on hook-up but having now checked the system seems to prioritise the habitation battery. Have just connected to mains to check out.

Dave.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page