A week in the Mazda Bongo, Devon and Cornwall Tour. - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 23-09-2008, 12:30 Thread Starter

A week in the Mazda Bongo, Devon and Cornwall Tour.

Hi Guys,

I arrived home on Saturday Evening after spending a week touring Cornwall and Devon. Highlights included a meal at Gidleigh Park (pretentious and snobby - not my cuppa, but food was to die for), several of Rick Steins places, much more relaxed and casual, equally good food, and seeing the sun go down on Lands End. Overall had a fantastic time...

Now, the Bongo
It was interesting, and I remain convinced I want to keep her, I clearly need to rectify my usage somewhat. I will keep the problems short.

1: Damp after sleeping upstairs - every morning we woke, the mattress felt damp as did all covers. Not good, as each night, the bedding would be damp from previous night, and the problem would multiply. This KILLS sleeping upstairs for me for the time being.

2: Toilet requirements whilst sleeping upstairs. I use an Ikea mattress, 2 duvets, several pillows and share the space with my wife. Small dog at our feet. I need the loo on average twice throughout the night, just a pee. You can imagine the hassle getting down, out, back and in. I need to get EVERYTHING other than mattress to TOP section of bed. I then need to FOLD the mattress over towards the back, to enable the latch to be opened. Then reverse on my return. Not fair on my wife, who would otherwise sleep like a baby.

3: The space again was a killer. We had a suitcase each (I tried to keep clothing to a minimum, and my case was HALF the size of my wifes). I had al my camera kit. We had several other bags - things like picnic set, dog food, walking boots etc. We also had a foldable suitcase style table and bench. Bedding too needs brought down if driving. In short, the entire back area on the right of the factory cube was FULL. This really gets on my goat, as getting to the fridge and sink etc is almost impossible.

4: We gave up sleeping upstairs on day 4, and used the driver and passenger seat, folded down, which connect to the middle row of seats, which also fold backwords. Much warmer, no damp, but not as comfy as the mattress, and much harder to tidy in the morning. Something has to give I guess.

On the plus side, the Bongo looks and drives great, we had no issues navigating so VERY HAIRY ROADS, and had loads of space around our van and awning on the various sites we chose. We saw roughly 7 or 8 Bongos a day on our travels, compared to maybe 1 or 2 VW campers - I was shocked.

In short, I will keep the BOngo for smaller trips, and as a van for trips to and from places like Ikea. For the longer and more demanding holidays, I will use the new Motorhome once here.

Here are some of my favourite photos!!

1: Torquay at Night

2: And again

3: Torquay Prom

4: Retirement Street, possibly Padstow

5: Bongo Sunrise

6: And another

7: Gidleigh Park, £12 a pot of tea, £150 for LUNCH - Once in a lifetime food though.

8: More Gidleigh

9: My Dog, Basil, attempting to look aristocratic. I love this wee fella.

10: Plain Sailing

11: What a fatty!

12: Dun Dun! Dun Dun! Dun Dun, Dun Dun, Dun Dun, Dun Dun!

13: Shark Attack! Swim for your lives....

14: A long way to go for a pint!

15: Don't let the sun...

16: Go down on me...

17: Deep Purple

18: Almost time to head home...

19: The Days End, at Lands End

Overall, all things considered, a fantastic time was had.

Gary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 23-09-2008, 12:31

Send a message via MSN to johng1974
wow nice pics
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 23-09-2008, 12:32 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johng1974
wow nice pics
Double Wow QUICK REPLY! That was uncanny :P

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 23-09-2008, 12:34

anyway, isn't it

ner na ner na ?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 23-09-2008, 12:41 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johng1974

anyway, isn't it

ner na ner na ?
Certainly could be....I might be getting Jaws mixed with Batman?. Or is that Dinner, Dinner, Dinner, Dinner?

Dunno

Gary.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 23-09-2008, 12:46

mind you ner na ner na could be the sound of asprn approaching..

there's trouble whatever

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 23-09-2008, 13:05

Excellent pics, Gary!

"I tried to keep clothing to a minimum, and my case was HALF the size of my wifes"

I know exactly what you mean

SD
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 23-09-2008, 15:23 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyDux
Excellent pics, Gary!

"I tried to keep clothing to a minimum, and my case was HALF the size of my wifes"

I know exactly what you mean

SD
Thanks for kind comments, RE pics. In the new motorhome, I will be restricted to 3.5 Tonne, and the vehicle & fuel weight is 3020kg, so will have a good excuse to downsize Claires clothing allowance

Gary.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 23-09-2008, 16:01

Superb pics and a nice, succinct report. Glad you enjoyed yourselves, although those nocturnal visits from 'upstairs' sounded pretty hair-raising.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 23-09-2008, 16:07 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemoss
Superb pics and a nice, succinct report. Glad you enjoyed yourselves, although those nocturnal visits from 'upstairs' sounded pretty hair-raising.
Enfuriating, I will be so happy when the upgrade arrives. I will still use my Bongo for the odd camping holiday, but I guess extremely limited use going forward.

Gary.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page