mazda bongo - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 17:09 Thread Starter

mazda bongo

hi i have just bought a mazda bongo anybody got one of these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 17:15

U gonna tow it behind the RV?

I knew someone whose Uncle had several, and raved about them. I think they look cute, but that's no help to you

Gerald

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 17:25 Thread Starter

to big to tow behind rv...lol it is a mpv/camper 8 seats and sleeps 4 electric elevating roof to form a tent on top

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 18:00

Hi,
I have also just a bought a Mazda Bongo, it is a mid conversion camper. Looking forward to camping in the knowledge that I will be able to get back home to get to work, unlike my old VW Type 2 !

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 22:06

My Motorhome: Hymer Van 522
There is a dedicated BongoForum and BongOwners Club:

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/

I had a Bongo before getting the Hymer.

Fantastic vehicles - the Bongo and the Hymer!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 09:58

We looked closely at several in a dealers at Poole.

We had a VW 73 Westy T2 at the time. There was more storage space in the VW although the Bongo was nicely fitted. Also all the fittings seemed a bit flimsy, once again compared to the VW.

When we asked where owners put clothes and stuff, the guy said most people take a suitcase.

We bought a 98 T4 Caravelle instead.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 10:44

Bongo versus VW T4 thoughts:

For a long time I was convinced that I should get a converted Bongo. I looked at several. Very easy to drive. The Bongo's auto gearbox is a lot nicer than the VW T4's and the cab aircon is terrific, as are the electric blinds. The 4WD ones are supposed to be great for towing.

The Bongo's electric auto free top roof is wonderful compared to the heavy manual elevating roof on the T4, which is a bit of a faff to close and get all the canvas folded inside.

I also liked the nifty electric closing on the Bongo's side door. The T4 one needs a hefty slam to close, and the noise must be a bit irritating for other campers.

The Bongo Fury website and forum is a fantastic resource - much better than the VW ones which tend to be biased towards the aircooled brigade. I find lots of useful tips on that site.

Diesel consumption is a bit pants with the Bongo, @25-28 mpg compared with the auto T4's easy 38-40 mpg. A small van should do better than that. Especially since the T4 weighs @500kg more.

If I was a solo camper a Bongo would be adequate, but the rock n' roll bed is a bit too narrow for me and the OH. The Bongo body is about 6" narrower than a T4 and that restricts the bed size. Pity (for me) that the Bongo was not bigger inside, otherwise I would have bought one.

The T4's swivelling front seats and easy access from cab to rear tipped the balance. As did the impressively solid build quality of the Westfalia conversion, which is much better developed than some UK cottage industry Bongo conversions.

Hey ho. A second mortgage and trip to Germany later, and I got a T4 Westy. I love it. I think I would have loved a Bongo too if I were single.

SD
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 11:12

Hello SD. Yes the Bongo had some elements of modernity and handling which we liked, but yes, too narrow.

My VW was a courier van in it's original state then converted by Leisuredrive with a side lift roof which on struts is easy up and down. It's still restricted compared to the T2 which had a full width R&R bed, but we manage. You're right about the slide door slam too. Swivel and access through are good as you say. I would love to have a top of range Bilbo but ain't got the cash.

Aiming for a month tour down to Italy via Belgium, Lux, Swiss and then back up through Franc, all of June in her.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 15:40

Re: mazda bongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnutt
hi i have just bought a mazda bongo anybody got one of these?
Yes!

Trevor
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 19-06-2008, 19:36

I have recently Bought a Mazda Bongo and have to say I absolutely love it! wouldn't dream of driving anything else, it's so versatile, it's a camper, an eight seater MPV has loads of room, rear seats can be folded up the side of van giving you even more space, can park it like a normal car, bought mine as a 8 seater but plan to remove the part rear seat at the back to install a camper unit also a leisure battery and a fiamma roll out awning I couldn't ask for more in a camper would highly reccomend to anybody thinking of buying one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page