• 2 Post By havingfun
  • 2 Post By cabby
  • 2 Post By Mrplodd
  • 2 Post By havingfun

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 17:03 Thread Starter

found a new bank

hi,

we were with n and p but they are closing down, and we wanted a bank that dident charge for using our own money when we were abroad, and we have found one.... the cumberland, it,s a lancashire bank, people you can talk to, and phone up at anytime, it works very much like n and p, you have to put£750 per month into the account, and then its free to use your card, or draw cash anywhere, they also do business banking etc, we have only just got it sorted, such a simple way, went down to the office in preston, with passport etc , and they phoned up today the cards, cheque book will be here later this week.

we spoke to a great guy called alistair brookhouse, he explained everything on the phone before we went,and sorted it all for us the same day.01772556606

mags
The Following User Says Thank You to havingfun For This Useful Post:
jiwawa (07-08-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 23:10

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
Just be certain that it's free to draw cash when abroad, many charge for that facility

Andy

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, it’s in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 23:35

My Motorhome: Adria Coral 690SP
We have just joined as well and it is free for withdrawals and offers the same facilities as N and P.

Slight hassle in that you have to notify them which country you are in every 31 days but easily managed.

Supposedly only for "local people" but I think they are casting their net a bit wider to try to attract some of the NandP customers

Peter and Carmel

Spooky travelled with us for 5 years and over 20,000 miles.He died aged 11 and is buried in Delphi in Greece.
Now that's a great age and a great adventure for a rabbit and I think he deserves a mention.

The best things in Life...........................are not Things !!

Life is really, really great …...........sometimes it's a bit sh*t............and then you die !!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 23:39 Thread Starter

yes, we went into all that all free, as long as you have funds,, they are taking over basicly where n and p left off, but they do quite a lot more, like business banking as well, they are only in lancashire at the moment, but if you have been with n and p, they will organise a transfer, as you know if you are away for a few months, the cost of drawing cash, or using your card to shop can put a large amount on your funds, fine if you are only away for a fortnight, but not if its months.

mags
Pudsey_Bear and Pudsey_Bear like this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 22:13

My Motorhome: Sold it.
Personal Aire
I always found having a Caxton card and a Master credit card more than enough and very secure.
greygit and greygit like this.

Don't be silly all the time ask your question.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 22:16

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
With Caxton you don't get the Interbank rate but the rate in place when you load the card.

Having said that I DO have a Caxton card (useful for drawing cash from an ATM) alongside my Nationwide Flex-plus and Halifax Clarity cards

Andy

P.S. Phil, The radios are still giving Stirling service!!
cabby and cabby like this.

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, it’s in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 23:19 Thread Starter

hi

why we like the n and p, and now the cumberland, is that we use it as our main debit card account, we have our " wages " paid into it, and then that is our spending money, it lets us know just how much we spend, either here or abroad, no need for topping up another card, or making sure we have got cash, business banking charge you for everything, so one dd per month, and small or large it comes out of our debit card, if it,s personal, and it lets us know just what we spend and where, and if in credit no charges for anything, and because it is a debit card everywhere abroad takes it, wereas some stores wont take credit cards etc, but we have never been refused with the n and p, so hopefully the cumberland will be the same.

and because they are a small bank hopefully if we do need a large amount of cash for anything we will be able to talk to someone direct, like we once had to do with n and p, We were once in america, and needed £2 thousand ,and hsbc wouldent let me get my own money, we had to phone a friend to fedex money to us.

mags

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 23:42

My Motorhome: Adria Coral 690SP
The advantage for us is just having one card and one account to manage (well it's a joint account so we have a second card as back up) It gets automatically topped up every month and if we build up too much we transfer to the savings account we opened at the same time.

As an aside I have also taken out the new Barclaycard travel credit card (though I had to cancel my existing credit card as they would not let me have 2)

If you pay the balance every month(from the Cumberland)there is no charge for purchases and no charge for ATM withdrawals or interest until 2022.

Peter and Carmel

Spooky travelled with us for 5 years and over 20,000 miles.He died aged 11 and is buried in Delphi in Greece.
Now that's a great age and a great adventure for a rabbit and I think he deserves a mention.

The best things in Life...........................are not Things !!

Life is really, really great …...........sometimes it's a bit sh*t............and then you die !!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 02:45 Thread Starter

hi,

that barcley card travel sounds a good deal, been reading up on it, think i might apply for one, just for emergencys abroad,

mags
Webby1 and Webby1 like this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 08:37

My Motorhome: Burstner A747
Wouldn't be without my Halifax Clarity Card

Spend or get cash at the exchange rate, no commission just interest on cash withdrawals. I do a bank transfer after I've withdrawn cash and at the end of each week after spending (fuel, meals & tolls) to cover the balance.

I had 4 European holidays in 2016 and paid a total of 56p in charges and got €1.19 which was the rate at the time. Honestly think the Halifax Card would take some beating.

In 2015 I only paid a total of 49p so don't know where I went wrong last year lol.

Frank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page