Help needed for a 1999 transit camper - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

2Likes
  • 2 Post By cabby
  • 2 Post By Mrplodd

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 31-05-2016, 19:11 Thread Starter

Help needed for a 1999 transit camper

We are currently in Gent and have met a New Zealand and Australian couple who are 10 days in to a five month trip round Europe . Their 1999 tranny camper has a whine one 4 th gear and grumbling noise on 5th .
They are off to Düsseldorf in the morning (wed) and hoping to find a mechanic who can at least confirm the problem .
Any one got any contacts I can pass on ? I know it's a very long shot , but this young couple need some old fashioned UK help !
Chris :

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 31-05-2016, 22:14

My Motorhome: Sold it.
Personal Aire
Should have no trouble finding a Ford garage in Germany.Also parts can be sent from UK to Germany very easily if needed.
Does the sound change with the speed of the vehicle or with a change of revs.If he free wheels in neutral does he get the same noise.Is it a twin or single rear wheels. Again does he lose the sound if he depresses the clutch.

cabby
Pudsey_Bear and Pudsey_Bear like this.

Don't be silly all the time ask your question.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 21:19

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
Sounds like gearbox main shaft rear bearing to me.

At that age (1999) spares are going to be very difficult to find as there are so few Trannies of that age on the road so spare manufacturers are unlikely to have any on their shelves. My advice (once diagnosis says it's the gearbox) would be to seek out a second hand gearbox from a scrappy, but age will probably rule that out again.

If the noise isn't too noticeable then the gearbox will still function, the noise WILL get worse but even when nearly deafening the gearbox will (probably) still stay intact. I have known noisey transit boxes do in the region of 20K miles before self destructing.

Andy
cabby and cabby like this.

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if it’s in a caravan!) I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 16:22 Thread Starter

Many thanks chaps ,have passed this info on to them. Did have concerns re the age / Parts availability myself and they have set off now for Düsseldorf where they have a mate. I also discovered that in Aachen ( Europe) there is a recognised place where Kiwi's and Ozzies have a yard/ garage wher those just completing their "trip" meet those just starting and make arrangements . However this tranny came from the UK , but in its favour was left hand drive and built in Germany which may explain why none of the Belgian workshops wanted to know.

Chris

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page