A Motorhome was stolen in Skipton on 13th Nov - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 17-11-2015, 12:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosalan View Post
I know no more about how or why the motorhome was discovered other than it was first spotted by a policeman although not stopped at the time. Later it was stopped and recovered.
I am guessing that the thief was not one of the brightest and may not have altered the number plate or an ANPR camera picked it up.
Stolen motorhomes, once reported as stolen may have problems getting an M.O.T. as the DVLA records should recognise it in the UK. Mine was stolen once following a break-in and the keys were found. Not by the front door but hanging on a key rack so advertising where they were. We know better now.
Alan
I remember when your motorhome was stolen. Your unfortunate experience taught us a lesson about where to keep our keys. They wouldn't find them now.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 17-11-2015, 13:23 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Why is that Chris? Where have you put them now or are you saying that you cannot find them?

Alan
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 17-11-2015, 13:27

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisv View Post
I remember when your motorhome was stolen. Your unfortunate experience taught us a lesson about where to keep our keys. They wouldn't find them now.

Chris
Mine are usually in my pocket - ready for a quick getaway, see

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 17-11-2015, 15:36

My Motorhome: Sold it.
Personal Aire
Staying with the history, sorry Andy,it was suggested that the registration was put on the roof for spotting purposes,
However if a professional thief is after your van then there is a very good chance they will get it.
My suggestion to lighten the aftermath is.
Do an inventory and valuation of the contents of your motorhome and a valuation from a dealer as to what it would cost to replace said van.
Send copies to your insurer/broker and state that this is what you wish to include in the cover, or to come to an agreed valuation on purchase of the policy.

cabby
rosalan and rosalan like this.

Don't be silly all the time ask your question.

Last edited by cabby; 17-11-2015 at 15:38.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 17-11-2015, 16:07

Is etching numbers on windows (obviously not acrylic ones) still a valid deterrent?

And which number is better to etch in, the Registration No.(maybe difficult if selling abroad or changing country of registration) or the VIN No.?

Do some base vehicle manufacturers of 'C' Class and converters of 'A' Class do this? - apparently not on my MH.

Geoff
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 17-11-2015, 16:12

As to Cabby's suggestion of getting an 'Agreed Value', has anyone found a MH Underwriter who will do this?

I doubt whether it would cover more than the MH itself, as the contents could be in or out of the vehicle.

Geoff
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 17-11-2015, 17:03 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
While the underwriters may not show much interest, when mine went, I had to account for every last item in the van for the household insurance. Although at first this was hard work, the total sum came to over £2000. Perhaps if I had taken photographs, or kept every receipt it may have helped but I doubt that many people would have the stamina to do that.
Special high value items you should insure anyhow, or inform your household insurance about, this you can and should do.

Alan
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 17-11-2015, 17:40

Quote:
While the underwriters may not show much interest, when mine went, I had to account for every last item in the van for the household insurance. Although at first this was hard work, the total sum came to over £2000. Perhaps if I had taken photographs, or kept every receipt it may have helped but I doubt that many people would have the stamina to do that.
Special high value items you should insure anyhow, or inform your household insurance about, this you can and should do.

Alan
Alan

Would I be cynical in thinking that the reason the insurers want the receipts is not to confirm that one actually had bought the items at the price anyone claimed, but that it was 5 years old and they could attempt to knock-down the value to 10% of what was paid?

Of course the answer to their 10%, is to say - 'give me a replacement item.' - a basic principle of insurance law is to be put into the position one was in before the event.

Geoff
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 17-11-2015, 20:33

Quote:
Why is that Chris? Where have you put them now or are you saying that you cannot find them?

Alan
I used to keep them on a handy hook but now they are hidden
I can still remember where they are though....just.

Cheers
Chris
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 31-08-2018, 10:49

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Eh?

Ray.
randonneur likes this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page