Through Austria to Slovenia - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 14-03-2015, 14:56 Thread Starter

Question Through Austria to Slovenia

We are planning to take our motorhome to Slovenia, travelling through Gemany and Austria in early April.

We would love to hear from anybody who has done the trip and can let us know what the route is like, particularly over the mountains. For example are we likely to still likely to encounter problems due to snow in early to mid April.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 15-03-2015, 10:39

My Motorhome: Neismann & Bischoff Arto 66F
Personal Aire
Not been that way, approached Slovenia via Italy when we went many years ago. The main routes will be ok. Be aware that in a motorhome over 3.5t you will need a go-box for Austria, which could be very expensive. We found going through Switzerland cheaper, but longer.

As far as I know, the only motorhoming Oxford United supporter in Felpham.

I don't feed trolls!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 15-03-2015, 11:06

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,103 Times in 956 Posts
Personal Aire
I would have thought the main A10 motorway between Salzburg and Slovenia which is mainly motorway would be fine in April and is probably kept clear all year round. I do not remember it being that high anyway when we did it in 2012.

We had a fantastic time in Austria and Slovenia. Loved them both, especially Austria. More here. (just scroll down a bit).

https://sites.google.com/site/hankte...ny-and-austria

And Slovenia https://sites.google.com/site/hankte...-2012/slovenia

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 15-03-2015, 18:54 Thread Starter

Thank you for a speedy response. We are only a small van but understand we will need a vignette for the tolls, but we think not required in Germany, and that we can buy one before entering Austria. Hope this is the case but always glad to hear any advice.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 15-03-2015, 19:00 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryd View Post
I would have thought the main A10 motorway between Salzburg and Slovenia which is mainly motorway would be fine in April and is probably kept clear all year round. I do not remember it being that high anyway when we did it in 2012.

We had a fantastic time in Austria and Slovenia. Loved them both, especially Austria. More here. (just scroll down a bit).

https://sites.google.com/site/hankte...ny-and-austria

And Slovenia https://sites.google.com/site/hankte...-2012/slovenia
Thank you barryd for the useful links. We are grateful for the feedback on the A10 road. We have read that Austrian Law requires you to have winter tyres fitted until April 15th and wonder if anyone has any experience of this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 16-03-2015, 12:00

My Motorhome: Hymer B584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Openroad View Post
Thank you barryd for the useful links. We are grateful for the feedback on the A10 road. We have read that Austrian Law requires you to have winter tyres fitted until April 15th and wonder if anyone has any experience of this.

I don't but I do know that the only requirement is that they are marked as M&S. They don't have to be the full winter tyre with the snow flake marker.

Cheers
Bill
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 18-03-2015, 00:26

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Openroad View Post
We are planning to take our motorhome to Slovenia, travelling through Gemany and Austria in early April.

We would love to hear from anybody who has done the trip and can let us know what the route is like, particularly over the mountains. For example are we likely to still likely to encounter problems due to snow in early to mid April.
We go to Southern Austria every year leaving the UK in mid April and arriving Southern Austria around end of April. You will find down there the season does not start tiil May 1st lots of sites etc will not be open, If you have not booked it yet I would advise leaving the UK in mid April and touring through Germany.
We stay on the Ossiachersee near to Villach for 6 weeks and slip into Slovenia or Italy for the day just 30 mins away Lake Bled 1 hour. If you go here you can see photos, routes etc on Germany and Austria with a Route Page giving you our route with ACSI Campsites on where we have stopped. We leave 15th April for 2 months. If you have any questions please ask will be glad to help.
DianneT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page