Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/)
-   Slovenia Touring (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/228-slovenia-touring/)
-   -   Northern Italy to Slovenia - Route to Lake Bled (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/228-slovenia-touring/119083-northern-italy-slovenia-route-lake-bled.html)

Yaxley 04-04-2014 22:02

Northern Italy to Slovenia - Route to Lake Bled

We are going to Slovenia and Croatia via Luxembourg, Switzerland and Northern Italy leaving end of April for a total of 8 weeks. We will be following the A4 more or less across Italy. I was looking at taking in Lake Bled and would like some advice on the route via Udine using the A23 as far as Tarvisio (just short of the border with Austria) and then joining the 202 crossing into Slovenia as far as Jesenice and the A2 to Bled and Ljubljana.
Has anyone used this route and is the 202 suitable for motorhomes bearing in mind that my wife will get out and walk if she is looking down into a 10,000ft abyss with no barrier at the side of the road.
I know that the alternative would be through Austria but I am not getting into Go-Boxes.
Thanks
Ian

rayrecrok 04-04-2014 22:13

Re: Northern Italy to Slovenia - Route to Lake Bled

Quote:

Yaxley"]We are going to Slovenia and Croatia via Luxembourg, Switzerland and Northern Italy leaving end of April for a total of 8 weeks. We will be following the A4 more or less across Italy. I was looking at taking in Lake Bled and would like some advice on the route via Udine using the A23 as far as Tarvisio (just short of the border with Austria) and then joining the 202 crossing into Slovenia as far as Jesenice and the A2 to Bled and Ljubljana.
Has anyone used this route and is the 202 suitable for motorhomes bearing in mind that my wife will get out and walk if she is looking down into a 10,000ft abyss with no barrier at the side of the road.
I know that the alternative would be through Austria but I am not getting into Go-Boxes.
Thanks
Ian
Hey up..

Most of what you ask I can't answer, we did go to Croatia via Hungry then on to Montenegro and Albania.. But the bit you seem to have trouble with is Austria and go boxes.

We travelled through Austria but we didn't use any motorways or toll roads and as such didn't need any go boxes, the roads were good all the way and were more interesting than going down boring motorways and the timescale wasn't that much different in comparison to motorways.

Hope that helps.

ray.

barryd 04-04-2014 22:17

Ive done that route from Bled and the Triglav National park into the ITalian Dolomites. Piece of cake. Obviously its the alps so it isnt flat but I dont remember anything challenging or remotely scary.

metblue 04-04-2014 22:35

Austria

We went to Croatia via Germany and Austria avoided motorways and Go boxes, our route was a senic one with lots of lovely small towns and various stopping places .
We stopped en route twice with no problems the continued via Radstat, Tamsweg into Klugenfurt before crossing the border into Slovenia.
Then is was only about 90 mins to Lake Bled campsite. Far better than any motorways !!
Btw we also stopped at a cracking small site in Prebold it had a bar, washing up area, small but nice swimming pool too !!
It is in the Alan Rogers campsite book as having the " best toilet block " In Slovenia, it does !!
After there we drove to the island of KRK and stopped at the campsite in Punat (very good all facilities) then to Porec Laguna campsite I think it was ! also very good.
Going back in September.