What is the best medium for carrying Films? - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 28-04-2021, 19:48 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Pilote Galaxy G781GJ Emotion
What is the best medium for carrying Films?

Hi

I hope that this is the best forum for this topic.

We sometimes have different needs between ourselves as to what we want to watch on the rainy evenings in the motorhome. Sandra will want to wade through her favourite newspaper on her (my) tablet while I like to view older videos. I have a collection on hard drives and in the past I have viewed these on a notebook. My notebook has alas gone to the big tech. heaven and I have had no luck in finding a reasonably priced alternative.

We have an Avtex television but the instructions say that they only respond to Windows "FAT" formatted hard drives and USB drives. My experience with "FAT" format as opposed to "FAT32" is not good nor consistent and in any case there would be a huge amount of work to transcribe from FAT32 to FAT formatted drives.

So what are your ideas and advice? Sandra will be using our only tablet that seems to want to run FAT32 copies as my two very aging HUDLs seem no longer to want to play them. I could copy the whole lot back onto a large stack of DVD'R's I have at the back of a cupboard or I could lash out on a new notebook (preferably one with Windows 10). Do you have recommendations as to a notebook? I don't want a big laptop.

Your ideas and recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks for your interest...

HyFy (Geoffrey)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 28-04-2021, 20:41

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Fat 32 is the only current/recent format. Where are you getting films which claim to be just Fat?

http://www.differencebetween.net/tec...fat-and-fat32/

FAT32 is the only variant of FAT still in widespread use today.

Copy a movie and plug it in. It'll probably work. If you do have a problem it'll more likely be due to the file type, .mp4 or .avi or .mkv or any of many other file types. Most teles are rather limited as to what they play, but files can be converted from one type to another.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.

Last edited by erneboy; 28-04-2021 at 20:44.
The Following User Says Thank You to erneboy For This Useful Post:
HyFy (29-04-2021)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 28-04-2021, 21:39 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Pilote Galaxy G781GJ Emotion
Thanks for that.
I wouldn't have thought back as far as FAT except that Avtex say so in their instructions saying: "PLEASE NOTE THAT THE FILE OPERATION ONLY SUPPORTS WINDOWS FAT, IT DOES NOT SUPPORT FAT32 AND NTFS FILE SYSTEMS."
Having typed that out I note their very poor English usage. It could be (and probably should be) re-interpreted that it does support FAT32 on non-USB 1.1 connections. Unfortunately the vehicle and TV are in storage until tomorrow and so I can't check things.
I'm quite happy to convert file types as I can do those "en masse. I will try things again tomorrow. So - thanks for the prompt.
In the meantime, I think that I may have convinced the "holder of the purse strings", that in view of her use of my tablet for 24 hour newspaper reading, I may invest in a cheapo windows 10 notebook. She only took up using the tablet during a year of "shielding" when getting a daily paper was out of the question and we resorted to the online versions. They have gone down exceptionally well and are much cheaper in time and petrol compared to getting the old version!!
I will report back tomorrow after retrieving the vehicle.

But thanks for the prompt which meant that I re-read the instructions with more of a critical eye.

HyFy (Geoffrey)

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 28-04-2021, 21:44

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,205 Times in 1,051 Posts
Personal Aire
There are adaptors you can get to stick in the chain that will play stuff on a TV but to be honest the easiest way is your last suggestion. Just play them on a laptop. Thats all we do. I download a library of series etc and then just play them straight off the laptop. A pair of USB powered external speakers is a good idea unless the laptop has very good internal ones but most of them are too quiet for the van.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 28-04-2021, 22:17

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryd View Post
A pair of USB powered external speakers is a good idea unless the laptop has very good internal ones but most of them are too quiet for the van.
My laptop has poor sound unless I'm using USB earphones but they get uncomfortable after a while.

Can you suggest USB speakers that are small with reasonable sound? I'm not into beaty music, just the odd film or TV programme. Thanks.

Jean
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 29-04-2021, 09:03

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiwawa View Post
My laptop has poor sound unless I'm using USB earphones but they get uncomfortable after a while.

Can you suggest USB speakers that are small with reasonable sound? I'm not into beaty music, just the odd film or TV programme. Thanks.
Will have a look later but the last pair we had were a couple of small square Sum vision I think speakers. About 10-15 off eBay or amazon. Just make sure they are USB powered and not 240v
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 29-04-2021, 09:49

My Motorhome: 2007 Ace Siena
Thanked 1,126 Times in 1,062 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
We just down load to each of our tablets from Netflix and bbc iplayer, and use the earphones in my recent thread, if we run out we find a macdonalds and have a coffee while we download more, we used to have TVs n all the gubbins but nowadays we can watch what we want individually, if we do have a TV in the van we can also use a HDMI cable to watch stuff downloaded to my phone.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 29-04-2021, 11:37

My Motorhome: I drive... Hymer B550 Skyline
Try a USB3 stick with installed film into your TV.
If it works OK, then I can recommend an external 2.5" hard drive, 1 Gig size with USB3 output. Plug into your TV. No other lead required.

Should last an entire tour of Europe !
Bill

Last edited by bc109; 29-04-2021 at 11:38. Reason: Extra info
The Following User Says Thank You to bc109 For This Useful Post:
HyFy (29-04-2021)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 29-04-2021, 12:57

Personal Aire
Plenty of USB powered speakers on here.

I would recommend spending between 10-20 should get you something reasonable.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...acat=0&_sop=12

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
The Following User Says Thank You to barryd For This Useful Post:
HyFy (29-04-2021)
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 29-04-2021, 13:48

My Motorhome: 2007 Ace Siena
Thanked 1,126 Times in 1,062 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
I forgot to post this earlier, best to check compatibility with your phone, etc, Apple do one as well, we got one for Liz but it didn't work, not had a problem with android phones you just plug it into the phone and telly and play the movie, etc on Netflix seemples.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page