HELP: Android - can't use my phone - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 24-09-2021, 20:53 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
HELP: Android - can't use my phone

I'm discovering how much I depend on my phone - for contact with home, for finding my next stop, for finding my way around... and lots more.

I went right down to dead battery earlier on. Charged up when I got back to the van but the phone has taken the head-staggers.

It turns on but starts to pulsate with an empty screen - none of the normal apps are showing. Just occasionally I can access Gmail (and hence here) but that's not going to be a huge amount of use.

I had this problem once before but can't remember how I solved it 😭

I've rebooted several times.

Jean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 24-09-2021, 21:14

My Motorhome: Hymer S740 on Sprinter 616 (2004)
Looks like a factory reset Jean. Have you got it backed up to a Google account or similar?
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 24-09-2021, 21:44 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Phew! It's all come good.

I'm never quite sure what's being backed up on my phone - I really should find out!

I have no idea what worked or why. I was able to access a video about similar problems n he suggested pressing the -ve sound button with the power button for a few seconds to get access to a menu that would have allowed a factory reset. I did that n got a comic figure delving into the innards of a robot, and the word Fastboot. Nothing fast about it. I left it ages before trying a normal boot. That had no effect on several attempts - and then it did.

So I'm back. But I don't like the fragility of the set-up. I do have another smartphone with me as back-up so I guess I wouldn't have been entirely stuck. I'd got as far as finding the pin to release the SIMs.

Time for bed!!
raynipper likes this.

Jean

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 25-09-2021, 05:46

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Scary Jean. Sadly yes we have all been conditioned to rely too heavily on our phones imho.
Dread to think when it can just die or play up and your awaiting a two factor code to access finance or 'life' again.

Glad you do carry a spare as we do. But the faffle of swapping everything over is not just taken lightly. It can be hard work.
Guess you were able to use a tablet or laptop to get online while the phone was having a fit. But that can mean risky Wi-Fi or again tethering.

We have every confidence in your ability to solve the problem and get up and running again.

Ray.

The FSA formerly SIB & PIA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our lifeīs savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. So they changed their name again to the FCA.
http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 25-09-2021, 07:50

My Motorhome: 2007 Ace Siena
Thanked 1,126 Times in 1,062 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Not sure what happens with fruit-based devices, but at least if you have android all you have to do is log in to Google on a different phone and all your apps etc are scooped across if you have wifi.

I always have a spare phone in the van too.

I read yesterday somewhere that the manufacturers are being told to make all new phones/tablet must have the USB C charging socket now so there is less waste and they would then not have to supply a new charger with each new device, makes sens I thought, but guess who don't want to go that way.

I have always said that why can't we have just two or three different alternators and starter motors etc instead of what must be hundreds of different types.
erneboy and raynipper like this.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 25-09-2021, 08:38

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
It's called $$$$ progress Kev.

Ray.

The FSA formerly SIB & PIA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our lifeīs savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. So they changed their name again to the FCA.
http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 25-09-2021, 09:29

My Motorhome: Arapaho
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudsey_Bear View Post
Not sure what happens with fruit-based devices, ÖÖ.
Having never had anything other than an Apple personal phone I really canít comment, having never had the issues you often see reported here with Android.

Terry
Drew likes this.

BREXIT built on deceit delivered by liars

The people who passed off a pair of gloves as *two* items of PPE may not be entirely honest.

'Get Brexit Done' anagram - BEING EXTORTED

I'm a Euro Unionist, Testiculi ad Brexitam

Brexit: the incapable in pursuit of the unobtainable to satisfy the delusional. (Edwin Hayward)

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 25-09-2021, 10:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghr272 View Post
Having never had anything other than an Apple personal phone I really canít comment, having never had the issues you often see reported here with Android.

Terry
Of course, you can comment Terry, if you get a new one does it automatically set up the same apps etc as the previous one? I'd ask Liz but she has never loaded any extra apps.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 25-09-2021, 10:45

My Motorhome: Arapaho
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudsey_Bear View Post
Of course, you can comment Terry, if you get a new one does it automatically set up the same apps etc as the previous one? I'd ask Liz but she has never loaded any extra apps.
Well yes via your iCloud backup and restore process.

Perhaps Iíve just be lucky but Iíve never had a glitch that would necessitate such action, and that was really my point.

Terry
Drew and Pudsey_Bear like this.

BREXIT built on deceit delivered by liars

The people who passed off a pair of gloves as *two* items of PPE may not be entirely honest.

'Get Brexit Done' anagram - BEING EXTORTED

I'm a Euro Unionist, Testiculi ad Brexitam

Brexit: the incapable in pursuit of the unobtainable to satisfy the delusional. (Edwin Hayward)

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 25-09-2021, 11:04

I thought there must be some way to do it Terry, I don't have to do anything on Android it is all automatic.

I've never really had any issues with Androids, like anything they sometimes tie themselves in knots, but a quick restart always sorts that out, Lizs iPhone is just as bad, I just update every now and then if I see one at the right price and condition, the purpose of this last one was about storage, I had 32Gb on my last twp phones plus 128gb SD card, this one has 256Gb plus the same card so I don't have to delete/upload pictures now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page