Mobiles - Continental Roaming - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 10:42 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Pilote Galaxy G781GJ Emotion
Mobiles - Continental Roaming

Hi there.

I know this subject has come up before but I always seem to be having problems in France with Three.

In the "old days" I used Toggle (and still do) for local calls in France and Spain etc but I also used to get a USB dongle for a notebook for all data work. In the end I got fed up with trying to find a Carrefour of whichever supermarket to renew SIMs and so I progressed to a dual SIM smarter phone and used Three "Add-ons" for everything but local calls. In fact I make very few calls or texts.

The nub of the point is that Three seems rubbish in France. It's great in Spain with excellent coverage and good data performance but the moment you cross into France the phone effectively goes dead. You might get one "zit" on the signal bar whereas the Toggle is "5 x 5". You can hardly ever get a usable data connection. This is not a local thing as obviously we are driving. I think that we were back in Normandy before we got an acceptable signal. This has happened in previous years.

While it was playing up I called Three on 2 "zits" but no reasonable data performance. They gave me the usual " we can control the coverage in England but not abroad. I suggested that they could by changing contracts to a better coverage company. Their reply was to credit £10 to my account but it didn't improve the signal!

Question: Are there alternatives, price-wise to Three's roaming service and if so which companies. What are their time restrictions i.e how long can you use them before they cut you off. I'm not going to say how we get around the Three's two months restriction in case they are watching!!

Are there any other ways to get good cheap data abroad? I shall be going back to locally bought SIM cards...

By a "good data signal" I mean one that lets me contact a server at home to check security cameras, heating system, etc. It's the first thing to go down in France.

Thanks in anticipation.

Geoffrey (HyFy)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 11:47

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Personal Aire
Ive found Vodafone to be pretty good in France, excellent in fact. On my last four month trip I sought assurances from them that I would not be cut off after two months of usage out of the UK on their forum because it does state buried in their T&Cs that this "could" happen, I think its probably the same for all providers but one of their advisers stated it would be fine and it was. Im not sure what I pay, its not much. About twelve quid a month I think for unlimited calls, texts and 18gb of Data per month all of which can be used abroad on the phone or as a hot spot. Some providers I think lower your data allowance if your roaming.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 12:33

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
I can't answer about 'Three' but generally in rural France I have found all my mobile phone carriers have been pretty pathetic. sfr, Bouygues, Free, Toggle, etc.
Unless you get into large towns or good elevation it's 1 or 2 bars.
When mobile I keep an eye out for water towers (chateaux d'eau) as many are used to 'house' antenna for the mobile companies. You will usually get a good signal being in sight of one.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 18:48

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Personal Aire
I think it will boil down to who your provider has an alliance / agreement with. If its a wide range of providers then you stand a much better chance of getting a signal. Here I am locked to Vodafone so its patchy out in the sticks where I am but in Rural France it will just lock onto whichever provider has the best signal and there seems to be a fair bit of choice. Seems to work well for me.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 21:57

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
I have a Three Mifi and rarely have a problem getting a (data only) signal in France.

It might be worth going into your phones settings and making sure it’s set up to automatically use the best available signal rather than be “locked” to a single provider.

I also use my BT mobile phone as a “hot spot” to tether my iPad to when in France. The phone uses whatever provider it’s allowed to to get the best signal.

Andy

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, it’s in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 22:24 Thread Starter

Thanks for that Andy.

The phone settings are OK. The Three "Add-ons" get you the check that automatically. It just hops between one rubbish signal and another (usually BouyGtel). Last year we went two days from the Spanish border passed Narbonne and Clermont-Ferrand and almost to Tours before getting a usable data signal. I complained but was given the usual guff: "We can't control the coverage in France." "Oh - yes you can. You can use better contractors." But of course that would cost more. I'd rather pay more and get a signal I can use than otherwise. That is why I'm asking the question: "Are there other reasonable options?" I can see me going back to using a local SIM. I think that I can remember my local address from a few years back!!!

Thanks

Geoffrey (HyFy)(another former MrPlodd)
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 22:30

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
That does seem odd because. Like I said, I get very good date coverage all over France with my Three Huawei Mifi device AND via my (ancient) Huawei mobile phone which is on the BT network.

Andy

P.s. I retired 14 years ago after doing my 30!

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, it’s in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 22:39 Thread Starter

As you say, it seems odd that I don't get the same experience.

Geoffrey

P.S. It has been 23 years since I got so fed up with the bosses who seemed more worried about which Caribbean Island they were going to be Chief of Police of as opposed to supporting me and those I was responsible for that I gave up after 25. It's a good job I could afford to give up the difference in pension!! (I don't think). But we survive!!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 22:42

My Motorhome: Burstner Elegance
Three switched partner networks in France a few years ago I recall and there was a noticeable deterioration in 3G speed and connectivity. I think 3 users effectively go to the bottom of the queue for decent connections on their partner networks in France.

I was in various places in rural south of France last September and had no problem with the partner networks that EE uses - had a good 3G and 4G signal most of the time.

Peter
The Following User Says Thank You to peribro For This Useful Post:
HyFy (05-07-2019)
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 23:08 Thread Starter

I think that you may have the answer.

Does EE = BT? Everything at home = BT so maybe I speak to them.

Thanks

Geoffrey (HyFy)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page