Mobiles - Continental Roaming - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 23:29

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Personal Aire
I think you can get 3 and 4g antennas for vans. Not something Ive looked into but Addie who used to be a member on here from www.motorhomewifi.com is into all that. https://www.motorhomewifi.com/

Should pull in some better signals but as said I found Vodafone and a crappy old iphone excellent in France.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
The Following User Says Thank You to barryd For This Useful Post:
HyFy (06-07-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 05:32

My Motorhome: I drive...Auto Trail Navajo
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrplodd View Post
That does seem odd because. Like I said, I get very good date coverage all over France with my Three Huawei Mifi device AND via my (ancient) Huawei mobile phone which is on the BT network.

Andy

P.s. I retired 14 years ago after doing my 30!
Off topic.
I thought you retired just a short while ago Andy not 14 not even 4 years ago, or was that not from the P. force?

I'm Jan
We learn something new every day.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 22:38

Hi,

My three mifi with a 12gb data SIM was very slow in France at times especially late afternoon when the kids were home from school just like in the UK!

I also used an old Moto e4 as a hotspot with a Giffgaff £20/20gb goody bag which lasted for thirty days and that proved to be better with 4g connections in most areas of Brittany and Normandy last month.

Steve
The Following User Says Thank You to homenaway For This Useful Post:
HyFy (06-07-2019)

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 22:52

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenaway View Post
Hi,

My three mifi with a 12gb data SIM was very slow in France at times especially late afternoon when the kids were home from school just like in the UK!

I also used an old Moto e4 as a hotspot with a Giffgaff £20/20gb goody bag which lasted for thirty days and that proved to be better with 4g connections in most areas of Brittany and Normandy last month.

Steve
That was my experience too with these 2 providers.

I had thought I should update the mifi but maybe it's the sim I need to change. Pity, I've just started a 24GB, 24mth sim.

Jean
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 07:58

My Motorhome: Hymer Classic B584
I found 3 rubbish in the UK. I'd bought a couple of throwaway sims in Australia to use in Europe & UK.

If you happen to know a French resident you can get a SOSH sim plan (the budget Orange company) in their name. You do have to pay for a year, but their top plan is currently available for €10 per month for 50Gb, unlimited calls & SMS.

Orange (which SOSH use) supposedly has the best coverage.

Or you can get a Free sim for €20 per month for 100Gb. Not as good coverage (the worst of the 4 big companies), but if you're not going out in the middle of nowhere that may not bother you. Not sure of the residency requirements for that (probably the same deal).
The Following User Says Thank You to wfdTamar For This Useful Post:
HyFy (12-07-2019)
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 08:19

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanHank View Post
Off topic.
I thought you retired just a short while ago Andy not 14 not even 4 years ago, or was that not from the P. force?
I retired from Dorset Police in Sept 2005 (a week after my daughter joined!) I Then did a few odd things and then, because I was bored, I went to work for the County Council Highways dept.They had a big re-organisation 4 years ago and asked for redundancy volunteers, I volunteered and was selected. Now whether that was because they wanted rid of me, or because my redundancy package was much less than other longer serving staff I don’t know ! I am REALLY enjoying life these days, I hit 65 next Thursday but cannot remember when I last felt this well

Andy
JanHank likes this.

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, it’s in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 09:04

My Motorhome: Arapaho
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrplodd View Post
I retired from Dorset Police in Sept 2005 (a week after my daughter joined!) I Then did a few odd things and then, because I was bored, I went to work for the County Council Highways dept.They had a big re-organisation 4 years ago and asked for redundancy volunteers, I volunteered and was selected. Now whether that was because they wanted rid of me, or because my redundancy package was much less than other longer serving staff I don’t know ! I am REALLY enjoying life these days, I hit 65 next Thursday but cannot remember when I last felt this well

Andy
The bean counters run the show now Andy, cost benefit analysis wins every time. You were the cheap option, sounds like they did you a favour.

Terry
JanHank likes this.

I'm a Euro Unionist, Testiculi ad Brexitam

Brexit: the incapable in pursuit of the unobtainable to satisfy the delusional. (Edwin Hayward)

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 09:27

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghr272 View Post
The bean counters run the show now Andy, cost benefit analysis wins every time. You were the cheap option, sounds like they did you a favour.

Terry
Ab-so-blooming-lutely!!!

Anyone interested had to put in a “request” and then they would all be considered and a decision made after about three months.

After three WEEKS I said to Mrs P that regardless of whether I got voluntary redundancy or not I was still going to finish as by then I had, in my mind, already left AND I had enough of the petty politics/back biting and, worst of all, having to deal with some councillors who were legends in their own mind (and nowhere else!) One of the best life decision I have made.

Although I get to 65 next week I have to wait until May next year to get my state pension (65 & 10 months) I do have my Police pension now though. Before anyone leaps in about “Gold Plated” it’s not a “free” one, I did have to pay 11.5% of salary for thirty years to get it

Mrs P is one of the unfortunates who had their pension date moved from 60 up to 66, NOT a happy bunny!

Andy

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, it’s in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with

Last edited by Mrplodd; 12-07-2019 at 09:31.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 12:12 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Pilote Galaxy G781GJ Emotion
Thanks for you comments and suggestions. I guess that I will try something new next time we are in France which probably won't be until the return from Spain in May 2020 but at least I will be well prepared. An aerial seems a good idea as does changing supplier to one of those mentioned above.

Thanks

Geoffrey (HyFy)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page