Smartphone guru wanted - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 20-10-2018, 07:29

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
OK Barry n Drew.
How much is a 5" second hand iPhone with 64GB storage and guarantee?
I can't be doing with the squitty 4" screen and would actually prefer a 5.5".

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 20-10-2018, 08:03 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: 2000 Autotrail Mohican on Sprinter base
Personal Aire
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryd View Post
Apple phones are reliable though Kev, especially the earlier ones and cheap as chips. I stopped at a 4s as well, had it for years until I dropped it from a height onto concrete and smashed the screen. It must have been dropped a hundred times but finally gave in. The replacement was twenty quid off ebay. I bet it lasts years like the last one.
I can't judge on reliability Barry, complexity to do simple things with iPhones or iPads is my gripe, and looking on the net I am far from alone in this, Android is just easier, and you get more choice.

This phone is going back anyway, it gets way too hot when charging it.
raynipper likes this.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 20-10-2018, 10:36

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynipper View Post
OK Barry n Drew.
How much is a 5" second hand iPhone with 64GB storage and guarantee?
I can't be doing with the squitty 4" screen and would actually prefer a 5.5".

Ray.
Dunno Ray, heres an iphone 6 with a years warranty, 64gb option. About £160. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-iPh....c100505.m3226

I know what you mean about the smaller screen but I just dont want a big bulky phone. 4s does everything I need and does it well. I gave up Brick phones in 1990 when the Motorola Flip phone came out.
Drew and Pudsey_Bear like this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 20-10-2018, 11:40

Thanks Barry.
I guess thats better than £600+ but as my new HTC One9 was only £100 delivered, is it enough to tempt me?
I am sure Apple has the odd problem and glitch either because it's not compatible or doesn't have the apps choices. Android does seem to be more versatile.
I still feel an iPhone is more of a status symbol or fashion accessory. And yes being twice your age I need big screens.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 20-10-2018, 11:58

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Personal Aire
Well I must admit mine is getting a bit small for my eyes now as well and since I knackered my laptop screen on this trip unless I plug it into the TV ive been using the phone more and more for browsing and it is quite limited. I speak as I find though and Apple phones have never let me down. I had Nokias for years and I could go through them at rate of knots. Mind you most of them ended up in the bottom of Lake Windermere. I dont really use apps much, its mainly for email and calendars and the Apple email synced with Office 365 is spot on. It just works for me. Ill probably have to go bigger when this one eventually dies though.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 20-10-2018, 12:04

Yep, I do e-mails, search, google maps and google translate but precious little else on the phone. I did once use it to call the odd contact.
But don't use the camera, schedule, banking or much else. Skype is more difficult for me on any phone compared to a 32" monitor.
So how much in reality do I need to 'invest' in any phone?

Ray.

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 21-10-2018, 11:06

My Motorhome: Bürstner Elegance i821G
Personal Aire
Has the original question been answered? The only difference between the two is one is made for European networks and the other for the US. The US versions usually work ok in the UK.

I question the value of a 16gb one though. The operating system, apps and photos on my current phone use 21gb of memory.

The camera problem.... if all the apps are up to date should resolve the problem.

Mike

Motorhome Blog www.mikanni.wordpress.com
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 21-10-2018, 11:35 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpezza View Post
Has the original question been answered? The only difference between the two is one is made for European networks and the other for the US. The US versions usually work ok in the UK.

I question the value of a 16gb one though. The operating system, apps and photos on my current phone use 21gb of memory.

The camera problem.... if all the apps are up to date should resolve the problem.

Mike

The camera is a well known problem, there are numerous posts on Google about how to repair them, and even more on how the repair didn't work, but otherwise it is still well regarded for its other tech,, I use it for downloading Netflix for watching on the vans TV via the mini HDMI/USB port.

Moot point now as it will be going back to the seller tomorrow.
mcpezza likes this.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 23-10-2018, 11:19 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
I'm still waiting for the seller to send me a freepost number, I gave the camera a serious work out and it kept freezing, & if he doesn't hurry, up Ebay will just refund me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page