samsong a5,no mhl out, help - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 15:16 Thread Starter

samsong a5,no mhl out, help

hi,

trying to get showbox from my new samsong a5 onto tv, got the dongle etc, but wouldent connect,after lots of trying, thanks david,i have just found out it dosent have the mhl out, just our luck,only phone in the full range missing that feature, so does anybody on here know how to bypass that problem.

thanks for looking,mags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 20:44 Thread Starter

help, does anybody know anything about this phone

mags
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 22:43

My Motorhome: AutoTrail Tracker FB
Hi Mags, I know very little about the Samsung Galaxy A5.

I had a look at the A5 user guide from the Samsung web site and it appears that their recommended method of screen mirroring to a TV is with an AllShare Cast dongle and NFC. Is the dongle you are referring to the Samsung AllShare Cast dongle?
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...1.0_150527.pdf

Did you try using the NFC (Near Field Communications)? After connecting the AllShare Cast dongle you may need to go into Settings - NFC and Sharing - Screen Mirrioring and your phone should display the dongle. If it is found you need to pair the dongle and your phone using the displayed PIN code.

Maybe you've tried this already. I did a search and another similar option is a Miracast dongle according to one source.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 23:15

Another option if you have WIFI (OK in your home, not so sure about your motorhome), you could use a Google Chromecast or Nexus Player dongle.

We have the Chromecast and Nexus Player dongles in our home and my Galaxy Note 4 and my wife's Tab S2 can send films through both dongles to our TV without any problems.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 00:12

If you have a WIFI router you may be able to use it in your van with an inverter and transmit films from your phone via Chromecast or Nexus Player.
The router should be able to provide a WIFI network without having an internet connection. I tried an old router not connected to a phone line and was able to connect my phone to the WIFI and transmit films to my TV via my Nexus Player.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 06:46

My Motorhome: 2007 Ace Siena
Thanked 1,122 Times in 1,058 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Being ignorant of all the above, I have to ask why would you do it this way, when there are so many other ways to get stuff to watch on the TV.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 08:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev_n_Liz View Post
Being ignorant of all the above, I have to ask why would you do it this way, when there are so many other ways to get stuff to watch on the TV.
Hi Kevin, my reason is that when we are touring in Europe and don't have satellite TV we occasionally like to watch a film or a TV series we have recorded.

We used to watch the films etc on my laptop but since getting a TV in the van it's better to use that.

As for the Chromecast, it belongs to one of my sons.

I received the Nexus Player as a Christmas gift. This is a convenient way to watch media such as films, Youtube content and lots of other stuff. If I was so inclined I could use the Nexus Player to watch Netflix films at home. One of my sons has a PC with some films and TV series and the Nexus Player can access them over WIFI to play them on our TV.

When we are touring in Europe I now usually copy films etc to the micro SD card in my phone and connect to the TV using a micro USB to HDMI cable.
BillCreer and BillCreer like this.

Last edited by scept1c; 06-01-2016 at 08:21.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 12:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by scept1c View Post
Hi Kevin, my reason is that when we are touring in Europe and don't have satellite TV we occasionally like to watch a film or a TV series we have recorded.

We used to watch the films etc on my laptop but since getting a TV in the van it's better to use that.

As for the Chromecast, it belongs to one of my sons.

I received the Nexus Player as a Christmas gift. This is a convenient way to watch media such as films, Youtube content and lots of other stuff. If I was so inclined I could use the Nexus Player to watch Netflix films at home. One of my sons has a PC with some films and TV series and the Nexus Player can access them over WIFI to play them on our TV.

When we are touring in Europe I now usually copy films etc to the micro SD card in my phone and connect to the TV using a micro USB to HDMI cable.
That is about as convoluted as it can be to get something on the TV though.

I use one of these and a couple of 64gb flash sticks, it also takes SD cards too, Actually it's a while since I used it in the van as I bought this HD PVR which is 12v and also takes the flash sticks, so I can play stuff recorded to the PVR or to the PC, a bit more dosh but mine was only 35.99 on Ebay as a refurb with 12 month warranty, it works really well and isn't much bigger than a VHS cassette.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 13:48

Hi Kevin, that looks interesting however, I bought a Finlux 12v TV for the van after seeing recommendations on MHF. It's pretty good but despite having a USB port the TV is unable to run any modern films from a hard disk or memory stick. I contacted Finlux support to ask if they would be releasing any software updates and was told they will not and I will be unable to run any films as they have no fix available.

That's the reason for my use of my phone and an HDMI cable. One alternative would have been to cut DVDs to view the films but it would not be practical as it takes so long.

As mentioned before, the Nexus Player was a gift and it's useful in my home to view media from a networked PC. One of my sons lives in Edinburgh and have even been able to view a film from his system.

When touring abroad I don't often have an electricity hookup so PVRs and the like are not really an option.

Last edited by scept1c; 06-01-2016 at 13:52.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 15:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by scept1c View Post
Hi Kevin, that looks interesting however, I bought a Finlux 12v TV for the van after seeing recommendations on MHF. It's pretty good but despite having a USB port the TV is unable to run any modern films from a hard disk or memory stick. I contacted Finlux support to ask if they would be releasing any software updates and was told they will not and I will be unable to run any films as they have no fix available.
I had the same problem, that's why the Sumvision is so good, it uses very little power and it does the job fine.

I think you can run it on 5volts too with an adaptor.

I'm just watching Rochford files, recorded from Filmon.tv on the laptop to the 64gb stick stuck in the PVR.

Last edited by Pudsey_Bear; 06-01-2016 at 15:17.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page