Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hebden Bridge
My Motorhome: Knaus Sun Ti 600LF
Thanked 76 Times in 69 Posts
Oops, I've been a bit busy for the last few days and haven't looked in.
Jean, We now think that no water ended up under the van, except possibly some from the freshwater tank at the rear, as the procedure we were following included emptying that too. There was nowhere else the water in the habitation area could have come from. We have hardly used the van. In early September we had a trip to see a friend in Kent. It was meant to be our last trip in the Knaus before selling it and then looking for a small Murvi type van. As it happened we saw the Piccolo advertised by an East Sussex dealer and went to look while we were in the south. We liked it, they made us a reasonable offer for the Knaus, so we paid a deposit. There was no way we could have fitted everything from the Knaus into the Piccolo so we arrange to return the follow week.
When we went back we spent ages in the office having to listen to all sorts of compliance paperwork being read to us, then the ownership was transferred and we paid the balance. I was then expecting a proper handover but we were handed the keys and the sales person said 'You know more about motorhomes than I do, and I've got another appointment now'. We were tired and hungry and had to transfer all our stuff and work out where to put it in the Piccolo, so we didn't protest. The plan was to go back to our friend's in Kent for two nights as John had arranged to help her with a garden task. We slept in the house and I tried to work my way through a range of instruction manuals that were not really designed for optimal comprehensibility for the end user. We spent our only night in the van so far at Clumber Park on the way home. We attempted to drain the van whilst on the site, but we mainly used the procedure we'd used in the Knaus i.e. flushing water through the system into the waste tank, then following the Webasto instructions to complete any draining of the boiler. However we didn't notice then, or the next time, that you are supposed to wait 90 minutes for the drain process to end. After what we thought was a reasonable time we 'aborted' the draining as there appeared to be no other option to finish the procedure. We didn't notice then if any water left the van as we were on grass and weren't expecting much to come out anyway as we thought it'd be in the waste tank. Shortly after this we noticed water soaked into the carpet.
On the M62 the next day John had problems changing gear. Then, when we arrived home he couldn't engage reverse to put it on our drive. Turning everything off and on again worked though! The following week was spent getting the fault repaired, and though the component needed wasn't covered by the warranty the dealer agreed to pay. When we got the van back we tried again on our drive to check out the system. We managed to get hot water and space heating on both electric and diesel and all went well until draining again. This time more water appeared on the floor.
We now have an appointment for next week to take the van to our nearest Webasto approved company in Keighley. In the meantime we have rung Murvi to ask a few questions and they seem to think the most likely explanation is that the pipe that should be draining water from the boiler to the outside has become detached. We hoping if this is the case it is relatively simple to fix.
We've cancelled the two night trip we had booked for this weekend and are hoping we can get away and have a proper try out before too long.