Push together water pipe fittings - help ! - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

4Likes
  • 2 Post By rayc
  • 1 Post By jiwawa
  • 1 Post By erneboy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 23-06-2020, 11:52 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
Push together water pipe fittings - help !

We have a leak through the Truma dump valve, not the automatic one but the cheaper manual one.

It will not seal and therefore drains the tank in 24h.

I have located a replacement (around 38 ) BUT....

the fittings are all the "push together" ones like can be used for domestic plumbing, only smaller of course. The domestic ones are sealed by an 'O' ring inside and the pipe cannot come out due to small claws set into a washer around the pipe which the pipe has to be pushed through. The domestic ones can be unscrewed if needed, but I am not sure the blue and black ones fitted to the blue cold pipe can..... the cap just seems to turn.

My worry is that, in order to fit a new valve, I have to take apart probably three or four connections..... how do I do that ? Does anyone know how to take these "push together" junctions apart ? Or can it not be done......? 😢

My only drastic thought is to cut the pipes, but of course that will leave a few gaps, and water is not good at jumping those gaps...... 😃 I could fit new pieces of pipe if essential, but a simple dismantle and replacement would be much more preferable.

So, once again, can anyone advise what to do ? I am loath to have to take the MH to an "expert" as for such a small part the cost would undoubtedly, be very high.....

Help please, with grateful thanks

Dave

Thinking of ALL the front line staff working to try to help others;Doctors, nurses, paramedics, cleaners, NA's, catering staff, support services and all others. Their work is appreciated more than you can ever realise-keep strong and safe.

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Remember Jo Cox and what she stood for.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk

Last edited by Penquin; 23-06-2020 at 12:18.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 23-06-2020, 12:03

My Motorhome: Pilote 740C Sensation
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penquin View Post
We have a leak through the Truma dump valve, not the automatic one but the cheaper manual one.

It will not seal and therefore drains the tank in 24h.

I have located a replacement (around 3 BUT....

the fittings are all the "push together" ones like can be used for domestic plumbing, only smaller of course. The domestic ones are sealed by an 'O' ring inside and the pipe cannot come out due to small claws set into a washer around the pipe which the pipe has to be pushed through. The domestic ones can be unscrewed if needed, but I am not sure the blue and black ones fitted to the blue cold pipe can..... the cap just seems to turn.

My worry is that, in order to fit a new valve, I have to take apart probably three or four connections..... how do I do that ? Does anyone know how to take these "push together" junctions apart ? Or can it not be done......? 😢

My only drastic thought is to cut the pipes, but of course that will leave a few gaps, and water is not good at jumping those gaps...... 😃 I could fit new pieces of pipe if essential, but a simple dismantle and replacement would be much more preferable.

So, once again, can anyone advise what to do ? I am loath to have to take the MH to an "expert" as for such a small part the cost would undoubtedly, be very high.....

Help please, with grateful thanks

Dave
google 'John Guest fitting'. Push the ring towards the fitting and pull.
erneboy and Penquin like this.

Last edited by rayc; 23-06-2020 at 12:06.
The Following User Says Thank You to rayc For This Useful Post:
Penquin (23-06-2020)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 23-06-2020, 12:19 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Speedy and very helpful, I did not know the name John Guest - that helps considerably, thanks Ray, you are a gent. 👏. 👍

Thinking of ALL the front line staff working to try to help others;Doctors, nurses, paramedics, cleaners, NA's, catering staff, support services and all others. Their work is appreciated more than you can ever realise-keep strong and safe.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 23-06-2020, 12:20

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
I must've been in lockdown too long - that was a fascinating wee video! So simple n so clever.

I hope you get your problem fixed Dave.
Penquin likes this.

Jean
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 23-06-2020, 12:20

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
And when reassembled they may be inclined to drip a bit. Pulling on the pipe tightens the grip the fitting gets on it and then when under pressure they should not drip.

Just had a drippy one on a filter under the sink. Took it apart, reassembled it several times and still it dripped. Eventually I gave the pipe a good tug and that cured it.

All the joints in this van are push fit. I like them well enough but when newly assembled they can be a bit troublesome.
Penquin likes this.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.

Last edited by erneboy; 23-06-2020 at 12:23.
The Following User Says Thank You to erneboy For This Useful Post:
Penquin (23-06-2020)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 23-06-2020, 12:21 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
I am sure it wil, but it will have to wait till we are home as no supplies here.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 23-06-2020, 12:22

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Where's home n where's here Dave - thought you were in France?

Jean
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 23-06-2020, 12:25

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
The Water Filter Men will post them to you Dave. That's where I get mine.

https://www.thewaterfiltermen.ie

Can't remember why I didn't buy from the Guest web site.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 23-06-2020, 12:35

My Motorhome: Pilote 740C Sensation
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penquin View Post
I am sure it wil, but it will have to wait till we are home as no supplies here.
There are plenty advertised on ebay France. Located in Royaume-Uni but shows they will post to France

https://www.ebay.fr/sch/i.html?_odkw...valve&_sacat=0

In the meantime shove a bit of dowel or a bolt up the drain tube and fix with a jubilee clip to stop it draining. It may of course just have a bit of rubbish inside stopping it sealing completely.

Last edited by rayc; 23-06-2020 at 12:51.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 23-06-2020, 13:07 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayc View Post
There are plenty advertised on ebay France. Located in Royaume-Uni but shows they will post to France

https://www.ebay.fr/sch/i.html?_odkw...valve&_sacat=0

In the meantime shove a bit of dowel or a bolt up the drain tube and fix with a jubilee clip to stop it draining. It may of course just have a bit of rubbish inside stopping it sealing completely.

Thanks again Ray, message sent to Walsall where company based, there is apparently a "new, improved model" only 3 more expensive so I am asking in what way it has been improved prior to ordering...

Thanks once again for your help, and everyone else on here, not good when, if you turn the pump on you get sprayed with water from every direction and HTMBO not at all happy at the prospect of no water for the remainder of our time away.....

She has just said "I don't give two hoots, there is a tap nearby and you can bring in a kettle full at a time" - hence my desire to sort at least pro tem.

I have now used half a roll of tape to hold the valve closed and (say this VERY quietly 🙄 ) so far, it seems to be holding but watch this space....... 😐 .

Last edited by Penquin; 23-06-2020 at 13:11.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page