Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Water pump issues

2K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  Pat-H 
#1 ·
I think I have air in my system but no idea how.

A couple of times lately ive noticed the taps either in the kitchen or bathroom splutter a bit. This sometimes happens after a drain down but we have been using the van albeit in one place since July. Usually you just turn the opposite tap in the Kitchen or Bathroom and it evens out and starts to flow properly.

Today its got worse. Im on my own at the moment as Mrs D is out so have had to try the tap turning on combination to clear the flow myself but nothing works and the flow eventually gets more stuttery and uneven. Its a Surflo pump feeding from an internal tank. All pretty simple stuff.

Ive had the filter off, looks ok, tightned up the wingnuts on the pump, checked for water anywhere you can get access to, had the sink out in the bathroom and looked under there. Nothing, no obvious leaks. I even stuck a screwdriver into the water tank outlet to make sure it wasnt blocked.

The only thing I can thinks is its drawing air from somewhere upstream of the pump but if it is i dont know where as Ive traced all the pipework back to the tank and if there was a leak would I not see signs of water?. Everywhere is dry that I Can see. The only bit I cant see is downstream of the pump to the kitchen and bathroom taps.

Any ideas?

See less See more
#3 ·
Yep, or maybe the pump isn't working as it should. Can you disconnect the water pipe coming out of the pump and turn it on to see if there's a flow coming out. I suspect there may not be. I assume your battery has enough charge to run the pump, very low voltage could cause it not to run properly. Do you have a miltimeter so you can check that 12v is being delivered at the pump?

#4 ·
There is a flow coming out but its not an even flow. The noise from the pump and the stuttery flow is as if there is air in there somewhere. If I disconnect the outlet pipe from the pump and turn it on ill have water everywhere and its not easy to get something under it to catch the water. Not only that, Ive spent an hour and a half crawling around trying to get at every possible pipe and trying every possible thing and my knees are fooked. Ill probably not be able to walk tomorrow.

Should be plenty of power as we are on hookup. Its making plenty of noise!

#5 ·
How close is the pump to the tank? Is the pump above the tank having to suck the water up to it or is it beside the tank level with the bottom of the tank?

Can you check that it's getting a full 12v? Low voltage may make the pump flutter and do little else. I suspect it's either feckt or not getting enough voltage to run it properly.

#6 ·
Its not far. Tanks is under one front dinette seat and the pump under the other so about three or four feet. I would agree with you if it wasnt for the fact that on this trip its done it a couple of times and turning on the taps on both the kitchen and the bathroom cleared it.

Ill have a bit more mess on with it after a bit. Its not the end of the world.

#7 ·
If there was a leak on the output side of the pump you would have water spraying somewhere and the pump would be switching on and off even with all the taps closed. It is more likely a leak on the input side of the pump that is allowing air in as well as water from the tank. Can you see the path of the pipe from the tank to the pump and are the connections tight? Either that or perhaps the pump is sucking air in from somewhere on the pump itself in which case you probably needs a new pump.

#8 ·
That makes sense. Everything looks fine from the path of the tank to the pump. We have always had the odd hiccup, pulse from the pump now and again but I know thats down to the hot water tank pressure release valve outside of the van dripping a bit so every now and again it kicks in the pump to I presume top up the hot water tank. One thing I have noticed today though is the hot tap (its a mixer) on the kitchen sink is incredibly hard to turn off. This is not new, its been like that for ages. If the water is hot in the tank (its only put on for when we shower) it often starts to drip and then eventually will start to slowly pour unless you really screw it round tight. Today its been impossible to turn off properly and Ive had to switch off the water for now. I think it needs a new tap or washer or something but it suggests there is maybe more pressure than usual perhaps. It could be a complete red herring but thought I would mention it.

Could be the pump on its way out I guess. not sure how long its been fitted, maybe five years.

#9 ·
I don't spose it's what we all tell every newbie on here that the frost drain valve has opened if it was cold last night??? Pump tying to suck via the drain?

Ray.

Reactions: barryd
#11 ·
Possibly a pump diaphragm issue, you can buy them separately but I’d just replace the whole pump.

Terry

Reactions: Penquin and barryd
#17 ·
I suppose you do have water in the tank. And the water pick-up pipe is fully submerged in the water.

Reactions: barryd
#18 ·
Disconnect pump and have a good look, it sounds like there is a gap on the inlet side allowing air into the pump - it will only allow the air in while the pump is actually sucking from the tank.

I think the Shurflo pump is made in pieces and joined with a seal, it sounds like that join is no longer tight - I don't know if it can be taken apart and repealed or replaced, but might be worth having a look at, otherwise a new pump may be the only answer....

Sorry, I have an old Shurflo pump which leaks in the upstream side - so the pump cycles constantly, I would gave a look but I am in the UK and the pump is in France not surprisingly....

#19 ·
I took out the filter and checked it and tightened up all the black wingnut joins but ill maybe take it all to bits tomorrow and try and have a poke around. The vans not moved and nothings changed though. Im starting to wonder if the pump is on the way out maybe that diaphragm thing that was mentioned. If I Cant resolve it ill get my motorhome guy to look at it when we get back.

#20 ·
Why dont you stop messing about because we all know you are going to finish up breaking it completely.Get on the bike tomorrow and go and buy a new pump.This will mean you can spend more time on the important things in your live like giving us your vast knowledge on Brexit

#21 ·
Because unlike Brexiteers Im not prepared to just take a wild leap in the dark and spaff a load of money on something without figuring out first if its a good idea. :D

Im leaving it tomorrow. Ive got to be on standby for some job back home all day so I cant be doing with dismantling the plumbing plus I have a nice lunch booked.

#22 ·
Just to give you an update.

We came home on Sunday but since I last posted the pump just carried on sounding like someone was banging a hammer on the side of the van. I suspect thats the pipework banging about and the flow was pretty rubbish.

Went out to put the van away just now and filled with water, checked it and its all perfect. Fixed itself.

The only difference is I was running it of the battery and not on hookup but if anything you would expect it to perform better on hookup.

I can only think that with us being stood in one location for seven weeks an air lock has somehow got into the system and the normal twiddling of taps has not cleared it but maybe the drive home has.

Or maybe its just possessed I dunno.

#23 ·
Now it's time to 'be prepared', and 'get it done'......... buy a spare.

Terry

#28 ·
We had a similar problem a year or so back. Every time we turned a tap on it would splutter (after having been off for a wee while).
Searched endlessly with no success. Eventually got around to thinking it was the feed from the tank to the pump with the water draining back down into the tank as a result of either a split diaphragm in the pump or even a bit of grit having got passed the filter and stuck in the diaphragm..
Seriously considered stripping down the pump but mysteriously cured itself! So, pretty sure it was the "grit" thing.

#29 ·
I never trust the pipework connections so if we aren't in the van the pumps turned off.
We had an issue in France with the pump firing up every now and then despite not being used.
And the toilet would fill with water in the bowl.
Stripped the toilet water solenoid down and it had some sand in it.
The pump sorted itself so I suspect both were sand in the system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.