Water pump issues - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 22-10-2019, 15:32 Thread Starter

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,017 Times in 882 Posts
Personal Aire
Water pump issues

I think I have air in my system but no idea how.

A couple of times lately ive noticed the taps either in the kitchen or bathroom splutter a bit. This sometimes happens after a drain down but we have been using the van albeit in one place since July. Usually you just turn the opposite tap in the Kitchen or Bathroom and it evens out and starts to flow properly.

Today its got worse. Im on my own at the moment as Mrs D is out so have had to try the tap turning on combination to clear the flow myself but nothing works and the flow eventually gets more stuttery and uneven. Its a Surflo pump feeding from an internal tank. All pretty simple stuff.

Ive had the filter off, looks ok, tightned up the wingnuts on the pump, checked for water anywhere you can get access to, had the sink out in the bathroom and looked under there. Nothing, no obvious leaks. I even stuck a screwdriver into the water tank outlet to make sure it wasnt blocked.

The only thing I can thinks is its drawing air from somewhere upstream of the pump but if it is i dont know where as Ive traced all the pipework back to the tank and if there was a leak would I not see signs of water?. Everywhere is dry that I Can see. The only bit I cant see is downstream of the pump to the kitchen and bathroom taps.

Any ideas?

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 22-10-2019, 15:48

My Motorhome: Auto-Sleeper EK TB LP
Personal Aire
Does the surflo have a one way valve, the water could be dribbling back to the tank.
Penquin likes this.

Barry
The Following User Says Thank You to Matchlock For This Useful Post:
barryd (22-10-2019)
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 22-10-2019, 16:18

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Yep, or maybe the pump isn't working as it should. Can you disconnect the water pipe coming out of the pump and turn it on to see if there's a flow coming out. I suspect there may not be. I assume your battery has enough charge to run the pump, very low voltage could cause it not to run properly. Do you have a miltimeter so you can check that 12v is being delivered at the pump?

Propaganda works best when those who are being manipulated are confident they are acting on their own free will.
Joseph Goebbels
The Following User Says Thank You to erneboy For This Useful Post:
barryd (22-10-2019)

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 22-10-2019, 16:26 Thread Starter

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
Personal Aire
There is a flow coming out but its not an even flow. The noise from the pump and the stuttery flow is as if there is air in there somewhere. If I disconnect the outlet pipe from the pump and turn it on ill have water everywhere and its not easy to get something under it to catch the water. Not only that, Ive spent an hour and a half crawling around trying to get at every possible pipe and trying every possible thing and my knees are fooked. Ill probably not be able to walk tomorrow.

Should be plenty of power as we are on hookup. Its making plenty of noise!

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 22-10-2019, 16:31

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
How close is the pump to the tank? Is the pump above the tank having to suck the water up to it or is it beside the tank level with the bottom of the tank?

Can you check that it's getting a full 12v? Low voltage may make the pump flutter and do little else. I suspect it's either feckt or not getting enough voltage to run it properly.

Propaganda works best when those who are being manipulated are confident they are acting on their own free will.
Joseph Goebbels
The Following User Says Thank You to erneboy For This Useful Post:
barryd (22-10-2019)
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 22-10-2019, 17:00 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Its not far. Tanks is under one front dinette seat and the pump under the other so about three or four feet. I would agree with you if it wasnt for the fact that on this trip its done it a couple of times and turning on the taps on both the kitchen and the bathroom cleared it.

Ill have a bit more mess on with it after a bit. Its not the end of the world.

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 22-10-2019, 18:06

My Motorhome: Roller Team T-590
Personal Aire
If there was a leak on the output side of the pump you would have water spraying somewhere and the pump would be switching on and off even with all the taps closed. It is more likely a leak on the input side of the pump that is allowing air in as well as water from the tank. Can you see the path of the pipe from the tank to the pump and are the connections tight? Either that or perhaps the pump is sucking air in from somewhere on the pump itself in which case you probably needs a new pump.
Penquin likes this.

Dave
The Following User Says Thank You to Charisma For This Useful Post:
barryd (22-10-2019)
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 22-10-2019, 18:50 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charisma View Post
If there was a leak on the output side of the pump you would have water spraying somewhere and the pump would be switching on and off even with all the taps closed. It is more likely a leak on the input side of the pump that is allowing air in as well as water from the tank. Can you see the path of the pipe from the tank to the pump and are the connections tight? Either that or perhaps the pump is sucking air in from somewhere on the pump itself in which case you probably needs a new pump.
That makes sense. Everything looks fine from the path of the tank to the pump. We have always had the odd hiccup, pulse from the pump now and again but I know thats down to the hot water tank pressure release valve outside of the van dripping a bit so every now and again it kicks in the pump to I presume top up the hot water tank. One thing I have noticed today though is the hot tap (its a mixer) on the kitchen sink is incredibly hard to turn off. This is not new, its been like that for ages. If the water is hot in the tank (its only put on for when we shower) it often starts to drip and then eventually will start to slowly pour unless you really screw it round tight. Today its been impossible to turn off properly and Ive had to switch off the water for now. I think it needs a new tap or washer or something but it suggests there is maybe more pressure than usual perhaps. It could be a complete red herring but thought I would mention it.

Could be the pump on its way out I guess. not sure how long its been fitted, maybe five years.

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 22-10-2019, 20:01

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
I don't spose it's what we all tell every newbie on here that the frost drain valve has opened if it was cold last night??? Pump tying to suck via the drain?

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
The Following User Says Thank You to raynipper For This Useful Post:
barryd (22-10-2019)
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 22-10-2019, 22:14 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynipper View Post
I don't spose it's what we all tell every newbie on here that the frost drain valve has opened if it was cold last night??? Pump tying to suck via the drain?

Ray.
Frost drain valve? Your kidding. The hot water tank on this thing is coal powered and the engine is out of a Ford Dexter Tractor from World War 2!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page