re: New to Alde Heating (Compact 3000) - After a couple of tips - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 30-10-2018, 23:19 Thread Starter

re: New to Alde Heating (Compact 3000) - After a couple of tips

Hi,

We've just yesterday got a new (to us) Van, and it has the Alde heating system which I've had absolute minimal previous experience of.

I was after a bit of advice, info, tips if possible.

The Van has been drained down for winter (though, I fully intend to refill it by the weekend), and I suspect that the Alde heating may not have been on for heating purposes in a while due to the summer we've had.

I am just now having a play with the Heating (not hot water, just van heating), and it seems to be taking a long time to heat up. It's a large'ish van (7.5m), outside was 5 degrees when I started investigating, and the inside was about 9 degrees. Some 30 minutes later, the interior temp was 14 degrees.

I have took the cover off to access the header tank, and the fluid feels quite hot when I touch the plastic of the header tank, and the level has raised to about 1cm over the max level (the van is on a bit of a slope which perhaps doesn't help).

How long and to what temp should I expect it to take to heat up at this time of year at the temps noted above?

I have found 4 bleed screws in various positions around the van (thumb type) - I don't want to mess with them just yet till I know there is an issue. But if I did have to open them, should they just be hand tight or nipped up with pliers? (they feel a bit tight to undo by hand at present - if they are stuck, is there an easy way to free them?). Are they opened once at a time, and if so is there any specific order to do them? Is this done with the heating on or off? the pump on or off? would it be too hot to do this after 30 mins of running or should it be left even longer still to open them?

Any other info re this system would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and do any of you know if there is a way to upgrade the analogue slide type control for one of the newer touch screen panels? (I don't think there is officially - but didn't know if there was a "hack" way of doing so.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 30-10-2018, 23:41

My Motorhome: Rapido 7065FF
The heat up time is slow especially if heating from cold. Suggest you leave it on for a minimum two hours or even longer with out opening the van doors. It will take at least a couple of hours to get to a room temperature of 20C.

In terms of the bleed points they should be very slightly more than hand tight. Reaching the bleed points is difficult, suggest you use a rag to collect any bleed water and attempt to let very small volumes escape. On completion of bleeding top up the reservoir if necessary. Start with the bleed point which is lowest and furthest from the pump and then work progressively higher and towards pump. You will probably find there is very little, if any, air. Your heat up expectations are too optimistic. Bleed first with heating off and pump off.

Also make sure that all of the grills on the heating tubes are clear of cushions, bedding etc

Are you using LPG or EHU or both as source of power.

Last edited by kabundi; 30-10-2018 at 23:57.
The Following User Says Thank You to kabundi For This Useful Post:
Ian_n_Suzy (30-10-2018)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 31-10-2018, 10:26 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabundi View Post

Are you using LPG or EHU or both as source of power.

Hi,

THANKS for your in-depth reply, appreciated.

I started it out on EHU only, then switched to both late on for about 10 mins.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 31-10-2018, 10:59

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Agree entirely with Kabundi.

Great system for nice even heat but slow to warm up and a bit hard to bleed. Bleed frequently is my tip. Once a lot of air gathers it becomes much more difficult.
Ian_n_Suzy likes this.

Propaganda works best when those who are being manipulated are confident they are acting on their own free will.
Joseph Goebbels
The Following User Says Thank You to erneboy For This Useful Post:
Ian_n_Suzy (31-10-2018)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 31-10-2018, 11:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_n_Suzy View Post
Hi,

I started it out on EHU only, then switched to both late on for about 10 mins.
The unit is rated at 6kW on LPG and dependant on the model either 2kW or 3kW on EHU.

Suggest you use LPG only for 2 to 3 hours and see what happens, then turn it off and bleed. Be careful as the water may scald!!
Ian_n_Suzy likes this.
Ian_n_Suzy (31-10-2018)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 31-10-2018, 14:09 Thread Starter

Just a quick update. I slightly opened all the valves one at a time, and let what little air was in the system out (they all bar one more or less flowed with water instantly). I've left it 2 hours and it has raised the temp to 19 degrees (on LPG only).

Would you leave it at this, or still give all the valves another quick opening?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 31-10-2018, 15:39

It won’t do any harm to bleed again, very unlikely you will get any significant air but at least you can be confident that it is fully bled. This time bleed with the pump running. Watch out for scalding!!!!
Ian_n_Suzy likes this.
Ian_n_Suzy (31-10-2018)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 31-10-2018, 18:25 Thread Starter

Cheers
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 31-10-2018, 18:46

Glad you have got sorted. Probably nothing actually wrong with the system. Just need to understand the system and get used to the difference to blown air
Ian_n_Suzy likes this.
Ian_n_Suzy (31-10-2018)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 31-10-2018, 18:54 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabundi View Post
Glad you have got sorted. Probably nothing actually wrong with the system. Just need to understand the system and get used to the difference to blown air

I couldn't agree more - though I'm glad that I now know much more about it than I did yesterday - THANKS
kabundi likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page