Under carpet heating mats, advice sought - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 22:48

You could always try a pair of heated socks. So where ever you walk your feet would be nice and warm.

I bought a pair last year for my motorbike and when out in the cold on my motorbike they are warm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 09:36
GMJ

My Motorhome: 2012 Autotrail Comanche
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrplodd View Post
After much “Googling” I found a product called “Rugbuddy”

https://www.bewarmer.co.uk/product/r...er-rug-heater/

Certainly not cheap at about £80 for a 500x1000mm one with the right underlay, but it appears to be pretty good. At that price I will need to think it over a bit I think.

Andy

Ha! Just seen that Cabby posted the same link a couple of posts back. Thanks Phil!
I just dropped them a line asking a few questions

- Depth (height?) of product with underlay
- Can it be safely used on motorhome type floors, with underlay
- What current it pulls when heating up and when on

I'll report back.

Mrs GMJ suffers really badly from poor circulation and cold feet which sometimes not even thick warm socks can help.

Graham

Which ever way you look at it, we are MUCH BETTER OFF in the EU than outside!

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 11:25

My Motorhome: Sold it.
Personal Aire
I really do not wish to pour cold water on this, however can one really expect a decent heat from 12 volt electric under rugs/mats. It is bad enough trying to use 12v kettle or toaster.
All the while you have air vents you will have cold air hovering along the floor. Have you thought of thermal slipper boots.

Don't be silly all the time ask your question.

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 11:55
GMJ

Personal Aire
I received the following reply from rugbuddy..

"The RugBuddy itself is 2 - 3mm thick and the Super All Surface Fleece type underlay is another 3mm though this is compressible to some degree.

The RugBuddy starts heating as soon as you switch it on. The time taken for the warmth to reach the surface of the carpet depends on the thickness of the carpet but should be no more than 15 minutes.

RugBuddies are rated at 120 Watts/ m2. So a 1.0 x 1.5m RugBuddy is 180 Watts and draws less than 1 amp even when heating up.

The floor will be fine with the underlay."

Their website has the following reviews...

…it’s in our caravan. I just hoover under it occasionally and we have continued to use it on the colder evenings and mornings at the caravan as it gives a lovely cosy background heat. The lounge area is open plan so this works great with or without the central heating on in the caravan. You may also like to know that we have recommended it to other caravanners and to friends who have cold rooms. We have also given it positive feedback on Amazon. Frances (Stirlingshire) September 2017

Fitted in motorhome under carpet on insulated floor. It is great – no more cold feet in winter when on site electric. Ken (Leics) June 2017

So: Ken in Leicestershire...if you are on here can you confirm that they work?

Graham

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 13:10 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabby View Post
I really do not wish to pour cold water on this, however can one really expect a decent heat from 12 volt electric under rugs/mats. It is bad enough trying to use 12v kettle or toaster.
All the while you have air vents you will have cold air hovering along the floor. Have you thought of thermal slipper boots.
Cabby

Sorry I didnt make it clear in my original post that I am seeking something that works off 230 Volts. A 12 volt heater would be about as much use as a chocolate teapot !!

The Rugbuddy LOOKS to be the answer BUT I am a little unsure whether I can (want?) to justify the cost bearing in mind how many times we are away over the winter months.

Andy

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if it’s in a caravan!) I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 14:17
GMJ

Personal Aire
More info from them...

"Design temp is 27degC..."

Which, even allowing for loss of heat, should be quite toasty!

Graham

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 13-10-2017, 09:54

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
The RugBuddy says..............................
"For example, a typical 125 x 160cm size is 250 Watts and costs just 4p per hour. That’s 1/8th (12.5%) the cost of running a fan heater!"

Obviously a 250 watt heater will only consume 1/8th of a 2000 watt heater. Ipso facto cheaper.??
But 250 watts is hardly going to provide enough heat to notice unless your laying on it.

Ray.
cabby and cabby like this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 13-10-2017, 15:22 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
Ray

All I am after is a bit of background heat, I have a small fan heater to initially get the inside up to temperature.

I do have blown air heating but we find that dries the air out overnight so we wake up with sore/dry throats. I could use a small oil filled heater but that’s MORE “stuff” to lug around so I thought something under the mat might be an easier option but looking at cost of a “Rugbuddy” I may well revert to a small oil filled heater.

Andy

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if it’s in a caravan!) I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 13-10-2017, 15:32

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Agreed it would take up little room Andy but it would give out little more heat than an old incandescent lamp. Hope your not expecting to actually feel the warmth percolating up. Huddle round the tele.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 13-10-2017, 16:48
ob1

My Motorhome: Chausson Welcome 630
We had carpet heating in a Burstners few years ago (Chelston had sold it to us as having underfloor heating! - but that's another story and totally different heating) and to be honest you would not know it was there. There was no heat as such, certainly no ' background heating' benefit, only the fact that the floor wasn't cold.

Ron
raynipper and raynipper like this.

A fool and his money are soon partying.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page