Trauma Heater Differential Pressure? - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 21-11-2016, 15:29
Senior Member
 
eurajohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mayenne France
My Motorhome: Carthago
Posts: 3,327
Thanks: 52
Thanked 229 Times in 206 Posts
Although the OP hasn't told us which Truma unit he has be it the older C6002 or later Combi types, I'm sure all owners will be familiar with the operation of theses units.
The fan speed is regulated by the exit air temperature and is normal for it to run slowly when first activated then as the temperature of the unit rises it speeds the fan up (often to jet engine speeds) before finding its optimum speed range.
I would deduce from that that there indeed is some form of "intelligent" control for the circulating fan.


I'd be inclined to open all outlets, select the hottest setting on the room stat, turn the unit on and when running, check the discharge of air from each vent, if reasonably similar from each one I'd doubt the problem is one of circulating air.


The most common problem with the C6002 units when suffering from similar symptoms is the combustion air fan, the second most common problem is if the balanced flue pipework becomes disconnected or holed, although that usually is accompanied by unusual noise.


.

John
eurajohn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 21-11-2016, 15:35
Senior Member
 
Pudsey_Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Keighley, Still in Gods County.
My Motorhome: Currently bereft of a MoHo.
Posts: 38,769
Thanks: 1,561
Thanked 1,016 Times in 955 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
The one in the Kontiki is 6kw, jet engines are us when you whack it up to 9.
Pudsey_Bear is offline  
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 21-11-2016, 15:56 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Leffe NL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
My Motorhome: Knaus Skywave
Posts: 906
Thanks: 13
Thanked 25 Times in 23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurajohn View Post
Although the OP hasn't told us which Truma unit he has be it the older C6002 or later Combi types, I'm sure all owners will be familiar with the operation of theses units.
The fan speed is regulated by the exit air temperature and is normal for it to run slowly when first activated then as the temperature of the unit rises it speeds the fan up (often to jet engine speeds) before finding its optimum speed range.
I would deduce from that that there indeed is some form of "intelligent" control for the circulating fan.


I'd be inclined to open all outlets, select the hottest setting on the room stat, turn the unit on and when running, check the discharge of air from each vent, if reasonably similar from each one I'd doubt the problem is one of circulating air.


The most common problem with the C6002 units when suffering from similar symptoms is the combustion air fan, the second most common problem is if the balanced flue pipework becomes disconnected or holed, although that usually is accompanied by unusual noise.


.
It's a Combi 6 (camper is 2014), so a new model.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, understanding is not putting it in a fruit salad
Leffe NL is offline  
 
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 21-11-2016, 16:08
Senior Member
 
eurajohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mayenne France
My Motorhome: Carthago
Posts: 3,327
Thanks: 52
Thanked 229 Times in 206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffe NL View Post
It's a Combi 6 (camper is 2014), so a new model.

Can't say for sure but I'd think the Combi will suffer in a similar fashion to the earlier one for the combustion fan problem and can say for certain the Combi does suffer with the balanced flue leaks.


Worth checking I would have thought, not too difficult to do.


.

John
eurajohn is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to eurajohn For This Useful Post:
Leffe NL (21-11-2016)
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 22-11-2016, 10:16
Senior Member
 
Jezport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Leeds, West Yorkshire
Posts: 3,462
Thanks: 1
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
The truma will increase fan speed if the internal heat sensor detects a heat build up.
If you remove the cover from the PCB so when the orange fault light is flashing you should see an LED in thye PCB flashing a dots and dash code. Write it down then find your models fault codes on the internet. This should give you information on where the fault lies.

The 6KW should have all four air outlets connected and open, the 4KW can cope with three
Check all your vents are open and not obstructed
eurajohn and eurajohn like this.

Last edited by Jezport; 22-11-2016 at 10:19.
Jezport is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Jezport For This Useful Post:
Leffe NL (22-11-2016)
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 22-11-2016, 16:12 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Leffe NL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
My Motorhome: Knaus Skywave
Posts: 906
Thanks: 13
Thanked 25 Times in 23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezport View Post
The truma will increase fan speed if the internal heat sensor detects a heat build up.
If you remove the cover from the PCB so when the orange fault light is flashing you should see an LED in thye PCB flashing a dots and dash code. Write it down then find your models fault codes on the internet. This should give you information on where the fault lies.

The 6KW should have all four air outlets connected and open, the 4KW can cope with three
Check all your vents are open and not obstructed
All vents open? W. whaaaat? I assumed they are closable for a reason... that I can direct flow to where I want it and not where I don't.

Am I wrong here? I have the garage ones closed and a couple in the cabin closed too.

Cheers Jez!

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, understanding is not putting it in a fruit salad
Leffe NL is offline  
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 23-11-2016, 09:10
Senior Member
 
Jezport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Leeds, West Yorkshire
Posts: 3,462
Thanks: 1
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffe NL View Post
All vents open? W. whaaaat? I assumed they are closable for a reason... that I can direct flow to where I want it and not where I don't.

Am I wrong here? I have the garage ones closed and a couple in the cabin closed too.

Cheers Jez!
If all the closed ones are on one circuit you can cause the heater to overheat and shut down.
Keep all the vents open, if the garage ones are at the very end of the run where lots of other vents are open you may get away with keeping them shut.

If you read the flash code from the PCB when it goes to fault that will tell us if you are causing the unit to over heat.
Jezport is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Jezport For This Useful Post:
Leffe NL (23-11-2016)
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 23-11-2016, 12:39
Senior Member
 
deefordog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Carmarthen
My Motorhome: Oh no - a caravan!!
Posts: 1,293
Thanks: 65
Thanked 66 Times in 57 Posts
At least one vent in the circuit needs to be open and none closeable to prevent overheating of the boiler.

When we visited Truma, albeit with a C6002EH, to have the fan speed checked (the fan that blows the warm air around the 'van), the first thing they did was disconnect one outlet at the boiler (we had four) and redirect the hot air coming out straight back into the intake fan. This immediately caused the fan speed to ramp up. They explained that it's all to do with heat in the boiler v dissipation. The boiler will only take so much heat so the fan has to run faster to get rid of this. Same analogy is that the fan runs slower on 1800kw electric than when on gas. The gas setting produces more kw and hence more heat so needs to be dissipated quicker, so the fan ramps up.

They didn't go into detail as to how the fan speeds up and slow down but there must be a bit of electronics in there somewhere that helps achieve this. Page 15 in https://www.truma.com/downloadcenter...t_nl_dk_se.pdf covers the reasons for having open and closed vents.

Paul - was a 2008 Swift Kontiki 669 but now a 2016 caravan.

Last edited by deefordog; 23-11-2016 at 12:44.
deefordog is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deefordog For This Useful Post:
Leffe NL (23-11-2016), WildThingsKev (23-11-2016)
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome