SOGs love em or hate em - Page 5 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 75 (permalink) Old 19-04-2016, 11:41 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCreer View Post
I was basing what I said on looking at a new spare one that I have. On the one I have the only way to make it open is to push the spring loaded T bar, in the middle, down. Should that T bar stay down? Maybe the one I have is broken.
I have to turn the yellow knob mine to open the blade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 75 (permalink) Old 19-04-2016, 14:39

My Motorhome: Hymer B584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev_n_Liz View Post
I have to turn the yellow knob mine to open the blade.
No we are talking about the standard vent valve that you remove to fit the SOG connector / external vent pipe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0792.jpg (465.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0791.jpg (397.8 KB, 3 views)

Cheers
Bill
post #43 of 75 (permalink) Old 19-04-2016, 14:40

My Motorhome: Oh no - a caravan!!
Kev - on the subject of cleaning the cassette out, good luck with the vinegar because I failed miserably. 5lt of vinegar and 5lt of hot tap water, left for 6 hours and the inside was the same as when I started. Resorted to taking the seal and flap out/apart and hand inside with scouring pad and tooth brush (not Mrs DfD's lol). Looks good now but I do smell of "eau d'poo". Heh, who needs gloves?

Paul - was a 2008 Swift Kontiki 669 but now a 2016 caravan.

post #44 of 75 (permalink) Old 19-04-2016, 15:11

My Motorhome: 2001 Benimar 6000sl on Ducato 2.8JTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by deefordog View Post
Kev - on the subject of cleaning the cassette out, good luck with the vinegar because I failed miserably. 5lt of vinegar and 5lt of hot tap water, left for 6 hours and the inside was the same as when I started. Resorted to taking the seal and flap out/apart and hand inside with scouring pad and tooth brush (not Mrs DfD's lol). Looks good now but I do smell of "eau d'poo". Heh, who needs gloves?

Why dilute the vinegar?

We use it neat, and it works really well for us.
post #45 of 75 (permalink) Old 19-04-2016, 15:26 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCreer View Post
No we are talking about the standard vent valve that you remove to fit the SOG connector / external vent pipe.
I know, I just wanted to say knob

Didn't really
post #46 of 75 (permalink) Old 19-04-2016, 15:29 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNomad View Post
Why dilute the vinegar?

We use it neat, and it works really well for us.
It may well have worked for others but it's had 10 litres of Sarsons finest and it's hardly touched it, I give a really good shake to get up into the mech about every 2-3 hours, but it is still thick on the bottom, if it had the removable top I'd get stuck in the but it's the old type and the seal is the same size as the hole in the top more or less
post #47 of 75 (permalink) Old 19-04-2016, 16:48

My Motorhome: Rapido 7066DF
Personal Aire
Quote:
it's had 10 litres of Sarsons finest and it's hardly touched it
Not surprising really.
Vinegar is only 4 or 5% acetic acid, hardly surprising it won't shift the amount of scale & crud you've got in that cassette. I fail to understand how and why anyone would allow it to get into that state.

Like I said earlier, use some diluted hydrochloric acid - that'll shift it given time to work - but it'll probably take a day or two. I haven't bought it in the UK for years but plenty on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-LITRE-36...-/191797144684

Take extreme care when using it, wear protective goggles and clothing and remember when diluting, ALWAYS add acid to water, NEVER add water to acid.

Help someone out when they're in trouble and they'll remember you when they're in trouble again.
post #48 of 75 (permalink) Old 19-04-2016, 16:56 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspode View Post
Not surprising really.
Vinegar is only 4 or 5% acetic acid, hardly surprising it won't shift the amount of scale & crud you've got in that cassette. I fail to understand how and why anyone would allow it to get into that state.

Like I said earlier, use some diluted hydrochloric acid - that'll shift it given time to work - but it'll probably take a day or two. I haven't bought it in the UK for years but plenty on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-LITRE-36...-/191797144684

Take extreme care when using it, wear protective goggles and clothing and remember when diluting, ALWAYS add acid to water, NEVER add water to acid.
I assume as you're advising it that it won't harm the plastic in side the tank, but what about the new seal, should I put the old one back in for now?

At least the Sarsons won't wasted, I bought some small onions for pickling this morning
pippin, pippin, siggie and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Pudsey_Bear; 19-04-2016 at 16:58.
post #49 of 75 (permalink) Old 19-04-2016, 17:39

My Motorhome: Rapido 7066DF
Personal Aire
Quote:
I assume as you're advising it that it won't harm the plastic in side the tank, but what about the new seal, should I put the old one back in for now?
I can't really advise on that Kev, all I can say is that it's never done any damage to my cassette when used diluted. I think I'd do it with the old seal.
What I'd do is put 2 or 3 litres of cold water into the cassette then add maybe half a litre of acid, swill around and leave for an hour or two. See if it works and if not add more acid. If the reaction is too violent dilute it more. If it fizzes and bubbles then it's working. Once it stops fizzing empty out and add a new solution, keep going until you've got the inside clean.
You'll need to keep the cassette vented as a lot of gas can be produced and you wouldn't want THAT cassette to explode would you?

Usual caveat - advice given in good faith but with minimal technical knowledge, extreme caution required. Buy a new cassette if you're not confident you can do it safely.

Help someone out when they're in trouble and they'll remember you when they're in trouble again.
post #50 of 75 (permalink) Old 19-04-2016, 17:43 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspode View Post
I can't really advise on that Kev, all I can say is that it's never done any damage to my cassette when used diluted. I think I'd do it with the old seal.
What I'd do is put 2 or 3 litres of cold water into the cassette then add maybe half a litre of acid, swill around and leave for an hour or two. See if it works and if not add more acid. If the reaction is too violent dilute it more. If it fizzes and bubbles then it's working. Once it stops fizzing empty out and add a new solution, keep going until you've got the inside clean.
You'll need to keep the cassette vented as a lot of gas can be produced and you wouldn't want THAT cassette to explode would you?

Usual caveat - advice given in good faith but with minimal technical knowledge, extreme caution required. Buy a new cassette if you're not confident you can do it safely.
Thank you kind Sir, advice duly noted, and will be re-read afore doing said buggering about with acid.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page