Rapido 963 F leak (help we are on holiday with a 2 year old and 4 year old) - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 20:15 Thread Starter

Rapido 963 F leak (help we are on holiday with a 2 year old and 4 year old)

Hi all

we are brand new to motor homing having sunk ourselves into debt to buy a beautiful rapido 963F 2004 edition.

It was a private sale from a lovely couple who appeared to keep it in wonderful condition. we are on holiday now for the next 3 months I have several issues I could really do with some help with but the most pressing is

On filling the water tank first time out no problems all well and good but today on filling the tank their was a significant water leak.

My guess it was somewhere between the outside filler cap and the tank as it seemed to have come down from above. With my wife trying desperately to occupy the little ones in the alpine conditions outside and they in return tried to help me fix the van. I took the bench seat lid off ( it had clearly been off before at some point ... those were not virgin screws).

I have very few tools with me and plan A at the moment is to fill the tank from within the bench seat for now but anyone got any suggestions or know of any issues like this ?

The only thing of note is that second time we were on a 30 degree downwards slope when filling.

Any help appreciated

Last edited by slimsurf; 09-04-2016 at 20:17.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 20:24

My Motorhome: 2013 Hymer 680 MB
A similar occurrence happened to me a few years ago, check that the Truma heater valve hasn't opened and that you are trying to fill the water tank with an open valve.

tony

WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion

Academia and government artificially select for particular traits, among which is a lack of life experience. This is why it's possible for a person to be exceptionally bright while failing to grasp something as rudimentary as supply and demand.

Intellectuals: All engine, no map.

post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 20:32

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
I got the impression that it was leaking into the van. But I'm not familiar with that make and model and I don't fully understand the description of the problem, possibly due to that.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 20:34

My Motorhome: Autotrail Chieftain SE (2006)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimsurf View Post
Hi all

we are brand new to motor homing having sunk ourselves into debt to buy a beautiful rapido 963F 2004 edition.

It was a private sale from a lovely couple who appeared to keep it in wonderful condition. we are on holiday now for the next 3 months I have several issues I could really do with some help with but the most pressing is

On filling the water tank first time out no problems all well and good but today on filling the tank their was a significant water leak.

My guess it was somewhere between the outside filler cap and the tank as it seemed to have come down from above. With my wife trying desperately to occupy the little ones in the alpine conditions outside and they in return tried to help me fix the van. I took the bench seat lid off ( it had clearly been off before at some point ... those were not virgin screws).

I have very few tools with me and plan A at the moment is to fill the tank from within the bench seat for now but anyone got any suggestions or know of any issues like this ?

The only thing of note is that second time we were on a 30 degree downwards slope when filling.

Any help appreciated
It might help if you can post some pictures. However, with water you have to trace where it is going and in this instance by trial and error. Are you saying that you can see the filler pipe that comes from the outside inlet and goes to the tank by looking under the bench seat?

If that is the case, watch the pipe while someone else pours a small amount of water say from a watering can or jug of kettle and see if you can see the water leak from the pipe or hear it entering the tank. I am sorry but I have no knowledge whatsoever of your model of MH but that is where I would start.

I am sure someone with more intimate knowledge of the Rapido will be along with more advice.

Let us know your findings but above (in the words of Corporal Jones) - DON'T PANIC!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Harrers For This Useful Post:
tugboat (10-04-2016)
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 21:11

My Motorhome: Autotrail Dakota Super Lowline
Personal Aire
As others have said, the big question is where the water was leaking. Is it leaking into the van or is it just pouring out under the van?

If it's the latter then, given the angle of the van, could it just be that the water was coming from the overflow/breather at the top of the tank?
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 21:17

My Motorhome: Hymer B598PL
If you are in alpine conditions, is it perhaps the automatic frost protection valve kicking in? Is the dump valve open?

Davy
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 21:29

My Motorhome: 2013 Hymer 680 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamRienza View Post
If you are in alpine conditions, is it perhaps the automatic frost protection valve kicking in? Is the dump valve open?

Davy

That's what I said, that makes two of us

tony

WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion

Academia and government artificially select for particular traits, among which is a lack of life experience. This is why it's possible for a person to be exceptionally bright while failing to grasp something as rudimentary as supply and demand.

Intellectuals: All engine, no map.

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 21:41

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamRienza View Post

Davy
slimsurf - just in case you don't know what that is, it's a valve close to the boiler which opens if it's very cold (under 4 degrees I think) to let the water from the boiler escape below the van so your boiler doesn't get damaged by freezing water.

The valve (in mine) is like a red button on a vertical stalk - pull it up to reset (and therefore stop water falling out); push it down if you want to empty your boiler.

But it's not clear from your OP where your leak is - I originally thought it as leaking into the space below the bench seat.

Jean
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 22:07

Mine is a 963F.

As said is the leak within the van, i.e. flooding the floor or is it outside.

The 963F has an overflow which lets water out through a pipe which is through the floor next to the tank position.
There's also the possibility it's the auto drain for the boiler, that exits behind the rear wheel. This valve is accessible through a cut out in the garage bulkhead below the bottom hinge of the smaller garage door.

Otherwise, if the water is appearing inside the van it's probably a loose pipe and hopefully not a leak in the tank itself.
The top of filler pipe at the filler fitting is accessible from beneath the sink in the bathroom, you need to take out the drawer. With the seat base removed all other pipes are visible.

Mine is 11 years old and used a lot (110k kms) and, touch wood, has never suffered a leaky pipe or tank to date.
philoaks, philoaks, aldra and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Jean-Luc; 09-04-2016 at 22:11.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 22:16

My Motorhome: Pilote 733 FJ
There are if you search quite a few reports of Rapido tanks failing, one such here https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/63-...ak-7090-a.html.

From memory it is usually around one of the support legs of the tank itself.

Hope for your sake it is not the cause.

John

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page