Alde boiler just gone 'phut'. - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 22-11-2015, 15:11 Thread Starter

Location: Silly Suffolk or on an airfield somewhere in the UK.
My Motorhome: Carthago Chic C-Line I 5.0
Personal Aire
@trek
Struggled to get the pipe off and gave up as I just couldn't see what I was doing. Had to work by feel as there is very little space.
Had I tried using a sharp knife in those circumstances I would be short of a finger or two by now.
I also tried detaching the red fitting but being unsure how it fitted didn't want to apply too much pressure and completely bu**er it.

So now the dealer can have the agro, they know what they are doing........I hope.

I can't see the break in the hose, only feel it with my finger tips but it seems to have blown a rip in it. Couldn't feel anything sharp beside it and I'm sure it didn't freeze as it was 5c inside the van and that was about as cold as it has been here. Also, I had left some water in the fresh tank from our last trip so I ran that through the system and into the waste tank before refilling. That was about an hour before hand and ran it from both hot and cold system with no problems until empty.
The mystery continues!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 23-11-2015, 17:00 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Thanks again to those, particularly Trek, for the help and advice.

Took the van up to the dealers, Go European, today and even though they had a very full schedule of work they shifted jobs around and fitted us in.
There was a hole blown in the pipe which looked as though it had got hot and melted. They thought it had frozen but I am pretty sure it hadn't.
Anyway, within an hour we were on our way again thanks to their excellent service.
Dealers, often rightly, get loads of brickbats when things go wrong but sometimes you have to give them credit for putting themselves out to help.
Well done Dave (Service Manager) and Go European.
trek, trek, 96299 and 5 others like this.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 23-11-2015, 17:06

My Motorhome: Flogged it.
Thanks for the update Richard

So I could have been correct then? As I said round here if you hadn't taken precautions Friday and Saturday night it would have definitely happened.

Paul.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 23-11-2015, 19:13

Thanks for the update Landyman

do you have the damaged pipe or get a photo of it ?

you mentioned that it showed some signs of melting - was this section of pipe touching the central heating flow pipe or any other hot surface?

perhaps it was a faulty / damaged pipe that the factory missed when they built your camper ?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 24-11-2015, 10:20 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek View Post
Thanks for the update Landyman

do you have the damaged pipe or get a photo of it ?

you mentioned that it showed some signs of melting - was this section of pipe touching the central heating flow pipe or any other hot surface?

perhaps it was a faulty / damaged pipe that the factory missed when they built your camper ?
Should have taken a photo of the pipe but didn't think about it at the time. Just very relieved to get the van back and sorted so quickly.
Before the problem occurred I had run water through the system to drain down the remnants in the tank from our last trip. It ran through until it was glugging and gurgling, when I switched off the pump and refilled the tank with fresh water.
I know that you can run the Alde system without fresh water in the tank but I did wonder if there was just a small amount in there that had turned to steam.
No idea if that is possible but it might explain the burst which looked as though the pipe had got very hot. I'm sure it wasn't against anything particularly hot or sharp.

Yesterday evening was pretty chilly outside, we are at Kingsbury Water Park site near Tamworth, and we were snug and warm so all appears to be OK.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page