re: Truma Automatic Water - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

2Likes
  • 2 Post By Spacerunner
  • 2 Post By HarryTheHymer

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 16-03-2015, 18:34 Thread Starter

re: Truma Automatic Water

Hi,

We have had a small amount of water drip underneath outside the Van, from the Trumatic Heater Automatic Frost Valve (as per 1st image below) for some time now when the system is pressurised (and temp above 8 degrees).

I am thinking of just replacing it with a manual valve (as per second image below), other than the obvious risk of forgetting to drop the water when a frost is due, is there any other reason I need the automatic valve on the water heater side? (i.e is it supposed to vent if the pressure gets too high from heating the water).

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 16-03-2015, 19:13

My Motorhome: Chausson Welcome 85 2007
Personal Aire
maybe the automatic valve has a small build up of mineral deposits. My first move would be to inspect it and use some vinegar to dissolve any build-up on the valve seating.
Ian_n_Suzy and Ian_n_Suzy like this.

I'm not signing anything.

The two impulses in travel are to get away from home, and the other is to pursue something - a landscape, people, an exotic place. Certainly finding a place that you like or discovering something unusual is a very sustaining thing in travel.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 16-03-2015, 19:42

My Motorhome: Carthago Chic I 4.2
Are you sure the water drip is coming from the dump valve.

There is also a "pressure release valve" (PRV) mounted on the side of the boiler with a transparent small bore tube which normally exits the van in the vicinity of the dump valve.

If the PRV gets grit in it then this will also leak water. The PRV will normally only leak when the water in the boiler is fully up to temperature. Of course, it will discharge a small amount of water if the pressure in the boiler exceeds a certain pressure - that's what it is designed to do.

Suggest you first establish where the drip is coming from by crawling under the van and observing.

Overwhelming advice on MHF is not to replace the auto dump valve with a manual version. If you forget to open the manual valve in times of low temperature it could cost you a lot of money for a replacement boiler.
Ian_n_Suzy and Ian_n_Suzy like this.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 16-03-2015, 20:27 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryTheHymer View Post
Are you sure the water drip is coming from the dump valve.

There is also a "pressure release valve" (PRV) mounted on the side of the boiler with a transparent small bore tube which normally exits the van in the vicinity of the dump valve.

If the PRV gets grit in it then this will also leak water. The PRV will normally only leak when the water in the boiler is fully up to temperature. Of course, it will discharge a small amount of water if the pressure in the boiler exceeds a certain pressure - that's what it is designed to do.

Suggest you first establish where the drip is coming from by crawling under the van and observing.

Overwhelming advice on MHF is not to replace the auto dump valve with a manual version. If you forget to open the manual valve in times of low temperature it could cost you a lot of money for a replacement boiler.
Hi,

I have not been under today, but have numerous times in the past, and as far as I can recall. There are just 2 drain tubes in the vicinity of the water heater. One being the manual cold water drain, and the other the automatic one that I think is at fault (I was 99% sure it was the auto drain, but you have now planted a seed of doubt).

It's a bit too dark out there at the mo (and the ground is wet), but I will check in the morning.

Ta
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 23-03-2015, 10:11 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryTheHymer View Post
Not that it matters for now, but in the interest of keeping the correct info in posts for future researchers.

Harry was absolutely correct regarding there being a clear tube that is used via a pressure release valve.

It wasn't at fault on mine, and didn't exit the Van near the existing drains hence my confusion of it's existence. But it is indeed there.

THANKS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page