Forced Adaptions - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 13:56 Thread Starter

Forced Adaptions

Hi
We are in the process of exchanging our Autotrail Chieftain for an AT Comanche. The chieftain was chosen due to us being able to get my wheelchair easily into the rear storage. Access is low with a large door. We are changing to the comanche because this model has an island style bed and I have better/easier access due to changes in my condition. The Comanche also has near the same storage/access for the chair.
We are being told by the supplier that HMRC demand a wheelchair adaption in addition to the D handle and other requirements. This is near 800. Now the chair adaption is a Fiammi bike rack with a wheelchair clamp of some sort high up over the spare wheel. My wife, bless her, is only just over 5 ft and would have great difficulty in reaching. I have requested to speak to the suppliers contact but they said that the contact will not speak to the public.
Has anyone else been told that they HAVE to have the wheelchair adaption to satisfy the HMRC regarding VAT discount. It is a totally useless and a pointless request.

I respectfully request only responses regarding the adaption requirement. I understand there has already been much debate on the VAT discount scheme.

Best regards

Roger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 14:10

Can you try and speak to HMRC. There must be an official document that details the requirement.
I do find it difficult to believe that you have to have a special piece of equipment to store a wheel chair. What happens is the disabled user does not require a wheel chair?

I have found HMRC very helpful once you speak to the correct department.

Good luck sorry not to be of more help.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 14:41

Having been involved on the very periphery of a friend looking at the regs, I am sure that the required wheelchair 'adaption' was for tracks on the floor to clamp the chair when under way.
Maybe we were looking in the wrong place but I do not recall a requirement for special storage.
This sounds like an April 1 story from the supplier or male bovine excretia!
Is it too late to order from another supplier?

My experience was about 5 or 6 years ago!!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 14:48

Forced Adaptions

I was with brother in-law last week at a Motorhome dealer (Davans) when he was enquiring about adaptions for his wife's wheelchair and was told that they now have to fit bike rack and back box to carry the wheelchair in. Door handles, ramps and wheelchair clamps are no longer accepted for VAT free sales.
Mike.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 15:09

HMRC page

Section 3.1 describes some adaptions which help qualify for VAT exemption.
I still think dealers are interpreting these rules to maximise profit, rather than help buyers.
As has been said before - contact HMRC direct - they don't bite now! and they should be able to give the definitive answer.

Edit - rats the link does not go to the page I picked !! will keep trying.
Put :- HMRC Reference:Notice 701/59 (March 2002) in the search bar on that Gov. page to go to the leaflet.
There must be an easier way!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 16-04-2012, 18:45

Hi, I bought a brand new Pilote 6 weeks ago, the dealer fitted NO adaptions whatsoever, all that was required to satisfy the VAT man was a letter from my doctor stating I was a wheelchair user, they have been in business for 40 years, so I assume they know what they are talking about. I did arrange to have hand controls fitted in Coventry after I took delivery.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 17-04-2012, 13:53

My Motorhome: LMC
Personal Aire
We have just taken delivery of a new van. VAT free with a letter from our doctor, rails to hold wheelchair in place in the garage and D ring fitted by the dealer. He has asked for photos of the hand controls now that they are in place ( another long story but beware if it is a brand new Fiat as the brake and accelerator were changed in Feb and ours was the first to require hand controls so they had to be made). The dealers do need to cover themselves as the VAT people are very hot on this. Hope you get sorted soon.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 16:05

VAT relief

My wife and I are both wheelchair users and have bought cars and motorhomes for many years and obtaining the VAT relief under HMRC 701/59 regulations.

In order to obtain VAT relief the vehcle must must have substantial adaptations for the disabled person to use the vehicle, either as a driver or passenger. These must be fited before delivery. The list of adaptions is stated in 701/59 chapter 3.

HMRC are currently clamping down on this consession . I have attached it for convienience.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf motor_vehicles_for_disabled_people_1__165.pdf (191.9 KB, 17 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page