vat relief - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 28-02-2005, 15:47

My Motorhome: RS Endeavour
Personal Aire
Just finished discussing this issue with someone not it a wheelchair who has obtained VAT relief on a car. We think as long as you are getting Mobility Allowance at the higher rate you should not have a problem. If this is the case go to who ever is paying your DLA and ask them for the relevant forms regarding claiming VAT exemption.

peedee

The best journeys are not always in straight lines.
To read about our travels visit >this page< Latest updates 6th March 2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 28-02-2005, 16:24

Notes from Phone call to VAT

Motorhome Must be adapted for a wheel chair or stretcher user, no exceptions.

The VAT free servicing and Maintenance is only on the ADAPTIONS ie only on the modified parts normal vehicle servicing is not VAT free.

These allowances have always been badly managed my Late father was suffering from breathing difficulty's and applied for a disabled parking badge, they asked him to walk 100 feet in a test and he struggled but was determined to make it (not fake it) they could see he was totally wasted but, said they could not issue badge because he passed.
Obviously someone thought better of it because a few months later they sent a parking permit thru, bit too late as he had passed away.

Yet there are people who are quite happy to fake it and make a great living, one distance relly as never done a legal days work in his life (coming up to retirement now)

Free car, free disabled badge No rent Council tax free (now bought his home for peanuts) and god knows how much extra living allowance.

All this for supposed bad Back, However one year they raided the HOP picking fields and caught him working end result although he did several weeks work there only lost a few days scrounge money and told to "be careful" , anyone whose ever done hop picking will tell you its backebreaking if your are fit and would be impossible with a genuine back prob, still carried on cliaming for 20 more years, makes you sick and they did not do a thing when he was reported (any time, he annoyed a lot of people)
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 28-02-2005, 17:04

Funny old world George

My ex's toy boy has a Range Rover that qualifies for a "Nil" road tax. gets all sorts of concessions.....including a pass through the Dartford Tunnel (why?). His office is littered with leaflets and forms on what and how to collect endless freebies. Think they wangled a holiday last year.......Mind you not all good, had to take front row at the Robbie Williams show.

Hasn't been able to work for ??? years. Probably don't get the time what with cleaning his Harley and working on his Banger Racer!!!

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 28-02-2005, 17:31

[quote="GeorgeTelford"]

"Motorhome Must be adapted for a wheel chair or stretcher user, no exceptions.

The VAT free servicing and Maintenance is only on the ADAPTIONS ie only on the modified parts normal vehicle servicing is not VAT free."

george - agree that to get zero rating on a new vehicle now, the user must be disabled enough to be a wheelchair user (not just occasionally, but most of the time), but maintenance is of all work on the vehicle, so if it was supplied zero rated for a disabled person the maintenance should be zero rated. see section 6.1 of vat notice 701/59 (2002 version). Garage will need to check the original invoice for the sale of the vehicle and keep a copy of this from the customer for VAT records.

Rules for getting zero rating on new vehicles are a lot tighter than a few years ago. A colleague of mine, whose wife had a stroke bought a new motorhome zero rated about 5 years ago - she was registered disabled after the stroke, but was not confined to a wheechair. They had a lift installed to get in the van, but not a wider door, and runners for the wheelchair (to lock it in place).
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 28-02-2005, 18:06

Personal Aire
Well folks you can have all the benefits we get as long as you have the disability as well!

George I think Phylymann was nearer the mark when you look what is written down. The criterion was wheelchair USER not adapted for wheelchairs.

HMCE has been tightening up over the last 2 years and this may well account for the various interpretations and word changes. They may well have changed yet again. The only thing one can do is ring up the help line and check.

A wheelchair user was defined as :
Anyone who has to use a wheelchair (electrically powered or otherwise) in order to be mobile.

A disabled person with a degenerative condition, such as multiple sclerosis, who does not need to use a wheelchair all the time, but only when the condition requires it, also qualifies as a wheelchair user.

A person who only occasionally uses a wheelchair such as:
when visiting a shopping centre or gardens; or
temporarily because he has a broken leg is not considered to normally use a wheelchair and is not eligible for the relief.

Generally I think you will find such people are on the higher rate mobility allowance but I would not be 100 percent certain about that and I would think even that is open to abuse.

Interesting what you say about VAT free maintenance and it makes me feel a little better about always forgetting to claim until too late.
I have never heard of this before and I am a regular visitor to a number of forums for the disabled, but like I say there has been considerable tightening up on the whole issue which was too open to abuse.

peedee

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 28-02-2005, 18:08

Hi Mike

I did ask about the servicing and was told only on servicing and maintaining the Adaptations, but reading it through you are correct, she was mixing up sec 6.1 and 6.2

Makes you laugh how people get away with it. and how people who could do with help are shuffled aside.

Local court case, chap called as a witness, the case was delayed because this witness was on holiday one month in Caribean.

Turns up to the court in a brand new TOR Range Rover, in the introductory questioning he was asked about employment he declared himself unemployed, with a little probing it turns out he as never been employed since leaving school, also that his address is a very posh BIG house which he owns outright.

He's early 20's , its probably not rocket science to guess that he is involved in some kind of criminal activity, does anything get done? not as far as I am aware.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 28-02-2005, 19:00

Personal Aire
At last found the documentation knew it was 701/59 but the government keeps altering its web sites and the bookmarks I had didn't work. Click here for information.

Sectio 2 details 4 conditions which must be complied with, we were both right George because you must be a wheelchair user as well as have adaptations carried out one of which should be to allow wheelchair access.

Anyhow those interested can read for themselves.

peedee

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 28-02-2005, 19:20

Personal Aire
[quote="bognormike"]
george - agree that to get zero rating on a new vehicle now, the user must be disabled enough to be a wheelchair user (not just occasionally, but most of the time), but maintenance is of all work on the vehicle, so if it was supplied zero rated for a disabled person the maintenance should be zero rated. see section 6.1 of vat notice 701/59 (2002 version). Garage will need to check the original invoice for the sale of the vehicle and keep a copy of this from the customer for VAT records.
.[/quote

Mike,
Our postings seem to be crossing in the ether, you have just ruined my day.

peedee

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 09:08

The VAT zero rated purchase does seem to apply to wheelchair users now and not ambulant disabled people.
That was not previously the case. Someone with a terminal illness is classed as disabled, but if they can walk - well tough now thanks to the changes.
Zero Rated Road Fund still applies and no changes have been made, if you used to qualify, you still do .
Regarding servicing, my understanding is it is similar to purchase of goods/equipment - if it is for the use of the disabled person you could supply a VAT excemption form to the supplier certifying it is for a disabled persons use (ie scooters/wheelchairs etc)
Not all suppliers will accept these as it means a bit of work for them over and above.

I draw my experience from a voluntary office in a disbaled peoples charity with both ambulant and wheelchair members and upto now touch wood havnt fell fould of the C&E (mind you our treasurer does work for C&E -VAT section !!!!!!)
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 17:44 Thread Starter

in my original post the people i was talking to had not had the mh fitted for wheelchair access - all they had to do was have a rear mounted box to carry the wheelchair in when the disabled person was using the mh. don't know how this fits into the rules and regs but that was definately the situation

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page