Disabled Facilities - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 30-05-2015, 21:56 Thread Starter
Skb

Disabled Facilities

Is it fair that disabled shower and toilet facilities are used by people who can obviously use normal facilities so that people in wheel chairs do not have to endure lengthy delays in using the facilities During a recent visit to a Spanish campsite a English gentleman spent over 3o minutes in the disabled facilities and when challenged was aggressive and said he was in possession of a blue badge and it was his right to use the facilities!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 30-05-2015, 22:00

My Motorhome: Neismann & Bischoff Arto 66F
Personal Aire
he may have a valid point, How does one define "disabled"? My wife was in possession of a "blue badge", and had various problems which were not obviously apparent, and used the disabled facilities on sites when it was difficult to use the regular washrooms.

You don't necessarily have to be in a wheelchair to qualify!
Penquin, Penquin, p-c and 7 others like this.

As far as I know, the only motorhoming Oxford United supporter in Felpham.

I don't feed trolls!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 30-05-2015, 22:06 Thread Starter
Skb

This man did not need to use the disabled facilities as it turned out that the blue badge was his wife's whi incedentley used the normal facilities��

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 30-05-2015, 22:13

My Motorhome: Neismann & Bischoff Arto 66F
Personal Aire
so in that case it's not fair! How was he "found out"?

but I will still make the point that a disability may not be immediately apparent....

As far as I know, the only motorhoming Oxford United supporter in Felpham.

I don't feed trolls!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 30-05-2015, 22:21

My Motorhome: Rapido 7066DF
Personal Aire
Sounds to me as if he was discourteous, rude and ignorant, there's a lot of them about - and most of them travel for miles just to park in front of my driveway gates.

Forget it, it's not worth the rise in your blood pressure.
Penquin and Penquin like this.

Help someone out when they're in trouble and they'll remember you when they're in trouble again.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 30-05-2015, 22:39

just my view but if there's a disabled facility surely that means its usable by the disabled but not exclusively for them 100 % of the time, for example if there are no disabled on the site should everyone queue for the non disabled facility' s while the disabled one stands empty. if there are disabled who cant use the normal facility's then yes i agree they should take priority.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 30-05-2015, 22:45 Thread Starter
Skb

We spoke with his wife
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 30-05-2015, 22:48

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
We have a special needs daughter who qualifies for a Blue Badge for various reasons, when she was younger she would get out of the car and tear along for about 50m as if she had no problems...... we used to hear many comments about "abuse of a blue badge", the same people then saw her tri and fall and not be able to get up and walk, her medical condition resulted in a chemical gap between the nerves and the muscles which was not capable of being bridged, so that after about 50m she had run out of the important chemical.......

Her school were made aware of it yet tried to encourage her to walk around the field a couple of times...... "just to keep her fit".....

they only did it once as she was totally unable to move for many hours and an ambulance had to be called to transport her to hospital where she was helped to recover over a 48 hour period.....

So she LOOKED perfectly OK, but if anyone watched for a little while they would see her crumble into her disability and not be able to recover.....

DON'T JUDGE A BOOK BY IT'S COVER - or a persons disability by an instant observation, you may well be totally wrong........

She used to use the disabled showers (under supervision) although she always showered sitting down........ but of course walked out from the shower.........

of course, a "disabled shower" does not exist (and would be useless if it did as a disabled shower would not work) but a shower with adaptations to make it more suitable for ta disabled person may be used by others, different forms of disability require different adaptations; written instructions are of no use to a person who cannot see, a hand held shower is useless for a person who cannot grip something, a shower tray with step is useless for a person in a wheelchair and so on.....

Sadly, many people do not respond well to being challenged, but that may a reflection of the way that the challenge was made.....

Dave
p-c, p-c, ChrisandJohn and 3 others like this.

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk

Last edited by Penquin; 30-05-2015 at 22:52.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 30-05-2015, 23:17

My Motorhome: Murvi Piccolo
I have used the 'disabled' shower on a campsite because it was the only one where the shower head could be detached and used in my hand. This helped me to avoid getting water in the eye where I had just had a corneal graft. There are all sorts of reasons why people might feel justified in using the the facilities of a 'disabled' shower, and often these will not be apparent to others. My son-in-law, not long before he died of pancreatic cancer, was challenged for using a 'disabled' parking space to which he was entitled. Presumably the challenge was based on the assumption that because he was young, and didn't have a stick or a wheelchair, he must be OK. Never assume.

Chris
Easyriders and Easyriders like this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 30-05-2015, 23:39

My Motorhome: Sold it.
Personal Aire
Much as I agree with many of your comments. The facilities are there for all persons to use, but it is adapted for when a disabled person needs it, as they cannot use an ordinary facility.
Many small establishments only have one toilet, this is made as a disabled one so that all can use it.

cabby

Don't be silly all the time ask your question.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page