Disabled Facilities - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 31-05-2015, 14:24

If campsites would only provide more proper disabled facilities the problem would disappear! I agree that disabled does not = wheelchair user, the disability may not be obvious.

I have seen disabled showers that had handrails, but only a fixed overhead shower and no seat! Presumably wheelchair users soak the wheelchair as well as themselves, but cannot wash their bums!

I have sciatica, and have to be careful how I twist my body so as not to induce a severe attack. Fixed overhead showers are a nightmare for me, as I cannot rinse the important bits without hurting myself. Such showers are also useless for small children.

I think all campsite showers should offer a hand held as well as fixed option. Dedicated disabled showers should also have a seat and handrails.
ChrisandJohn and ChrisandJohn like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 31-05-2015, 14:49

My Motorhome: Sold it.
Personal Aire
Quite agree with you, but I see the other side where if it is not bolted down it goes missing.

cabby

Don't be silly all the time ask your question.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 31-05-2015, 14:56
GMJ

My Motorhome: 2017 Autotrail Comanche
Personal Aire
When my wife walks she looks as if she is drunk.

Notwithstanding the fact that sometimes she is () she actually has MS and needs me to hold on to or use a stick. If its bad we have both a travel wheelchair and a full wheelchair. The MS Society do a nice line in "I'm not drunk I have MS" T shirts and caps which I'm trying to persuade her to get. We have a blue badge and do get looks sometimes as she doesn't always need her wheelchair. My son waves it at people who look for too long.

We also found that when we were out and about in a nice car (we have been fortunate to own one or two over the years) especially a convertible, some people had a real issue with that: it appeared that you couldn't be disabled AND own a nice car!

She doesn't use the facilities on site as a general rule which is fine by both of us as I don't use the on board facilities.

The issue with having general access to disabled facilities is that if they are being used by an able bodied person then the disabled person(s) have to wait. Generally there is only one disabled facility too. In some instances it is not good for them or indeed are they able, to wait around.

It is a toughie as I can see both points of view in that it seems a waste to not use the facilities if all the others are busy.

Tough call with no real answer I think.

Graham

Donít argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. óGreg King

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 31-05-2015, 15:08

I tend not be "Sniffy" about all things like this, disabled folk do not want to be in their predicament and try their utmost to be part of not set aside from everybody else, they do not wear their blus badge with pride and have it as a right of passage, and given a choice would let anybody in need use any facility that is adapted for disabled persons if needed and not being used, exactly as we would let or help anybody who is disabled in any way we can...

Every public toilet in our local Hospitals are disabled toilets, for everybody to use..

Do not judge lest you be judged.. We only have your side as you put it..

ray
ChrisandJohn and ChrisandJohn like this.

Just watching a shifty looking geezer in the library searching intently through the 'S' section of the dictionary, he's stopped now.

I think he's up to something. . .. . . ray......
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 14:04

A related problem which I don't think has been mentioned is that some sites advertise that they have disabled facilities but it turns out that these are located within the gender-specific toilet areas so that effectively rules out any disabled person who is unable to wash/shower without comprehensive assistance from their spouse/partner/carer of the opposite sex.

I know that on some continental sites it is commonplace to see people using the 'wrong' toilet areas and it's possible that you could get away with walking into the 'wrong' area with your partner but it's an additional complication.

Phil
peedee, peedee, Harrers and 1 others like this.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 14:24

My Motorhome: Autotrail Chieftain SE (2006)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil42 View Post
A related problem which I don't think has been mentioned is that some sites advertise that they have disabled facilities but it turns out that these are located within the gender-specific toilet areas so that effectively rules out any disabled person who is unable to wash/shower without comprehensive assistance from their spouse/partner/carer of the opposite sex.

I know that on some continental sites it is commonplace to see people using the 'wrong' toilet areas and it's possible that you could get away with walking into the 'wrong' area with your partner but it's an additional complication.

Phil
This is a very good point. As the carer for my 92 year-old mother, we often find that there is no uni-sex disabled toilet. Not just on sites but generally in public areas.

Currently, because my mum has a broken arm, I can't actually get her out of the mh on my own and would need help to lift her out. I would of course have to do it in an emergency. She weighs only 48 kgs so it's possible but the habitation door is only 20 inches wide.

I have made a ramp to use through the hab door and I'm waiting to pick up an evac chair which appears to be narrow enough so I can wheel her down the ramp. Once outside, she can transfer to her wheelchair or she can walk with assistance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page