Trip to Europe - Italy? - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 25-02-2013, 20:00 Thread Starter

Trip to Europe - Italy?

We have a three week motorhome holiday in August this year, and would quite like to go to Italy, we have a wheelchair user with us, does any one have any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 25-02-2013, 20:19

My Motorhome: Adria coral supreme
WE do not do trips shorter than 8 weeks to Europe and could be longer, but I get homesick

But, we absolutely loved Italy, Venice, Umbria Rome

Didn't go further on our last trip but that was more than enough

A long time ago we went right down south, loved that too

Anywhere in Italy

I would vote excellent

But plan your time

It's a long day to get there

Aldra
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 25-02-2013, 20:21
ned

Italy

Hi,
Personally I wouldn't put a foot inside Italy during their holiday period. It's shear bedlam. Campsite pitches are usually quite small and everyone gets crammed in together. Prices are astranomical ande you will come away not liking Italy which will be a shame as it a most beautiful country and in our opinion our favourite european destination.

Cheers Ned

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 25-02-2013, 20:38

Stay away from the coastal resorts and the southern lakes in July and August. Pretty well all sites will be crowded and chaotic.
Stay inland, or head north towards the Swiss and Austrian borders, where you will find real Italian warmth and charm.
Have a look at Camping La Riva at Sorico.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 25-02-2013, 20:49

My Motorhome: Adria coral supreme
Sorry

Missed the August bit

We have the luxury of travelling off season

Really can't advise during August

But loads do it and have a fabulous time

Hope you do as well

Aldra
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 25-02-2013, 23:47

My Motorhome: AutoTrail V-Line 635 SE
Personal Aire
Re: Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ned
....Personally I wouldn't put a foot inside Italy during their holiday period. It's shear bedlam. Campsite pitches are usually quite small and everyone gets crammed in together. Prices are astranomical ande you will come away not liking Italy which will be a shame as it a most beautiful country and in our opinion our favourite european destination.
We travelled down to the heel of Italy most recently in 2012, and I second what Ned writes. I wouldn't dream of travelling there during their holiday period.

If you have a wheelchair it will be even more difficult as pavements are not great everywhere.

The roads are quieter the further south you travel, but they don't improve. The simplest thing is to do what the locals do, and take toll roads whenever possible.

John

For lust of knowing what should not be known
We take the Golden Road to..........................
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 26-02-2013, 00:52

Hi and welcome . Two year ago we set off for the Italian lakes. Weather was poor and we ended up down as far as Pisa. We then drove up to, campng intertational at Florence. Used public transport into Florance. Taxi was cheap enough if bus was inconvenient. Do not try to achieve too much in a short time,
Davd p.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 26-02-2013, 09:44

My Motorhome: RS Endeavour
Personal Aire
Cannot give you much advice as we have only been to Venice with a wheelchair. The bridges across the canals are mostly via steps which makes for obstacles but the main sites are doable and the water buses are accessible and that is the best way to move across the city and to some extent site see. Venice was supposed to be making the bridges more accessible but two years ago this was not the case for many of them. The situation may have improved since.

peedee

The best journeys are not always in straight lines.
To read about our travels visit >this page< Latest updates 6th March 2019
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 26-02-2013, 16:09

We were in Venice last August and I can't honestly recommend it. The place was heaving with tourists and it was very hot - 42 degrees. The bridges are very unfriendly for wheelchairs, but as Peedee says, the main sights are probably doable if you can face the crowds and the queues.

We stayed at the free sosta near the football stadium in Treviso and took the train in daily. Treviso is worth a visit, and is a lot friendlier for wheelchairs.

We then decamped to Grado, a lovely resort about 50 kilometres to the east, not far from the Slovenian border, and we had a lovely time in the historic town and crystal clear lagoon.
Many of the other northern towns were too hot and we found a welcome refuge in the Dolomites.

Italy is lovely - but a long drive away. Have fun!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 26-02-2013, 19:29

Send a message via MSN to Rapide561
Italy

Hi

In the coach industry, I have travelled with many wheel chair users to Italy. I agree with Peedee - Venice is difficukt due to the bridges etc but is possible with careful planning - for example water bus right to St Marks Square.

Some tourist attractions have dedicated entrances for visitors with wheel chairs.

As said, Italy with by very busy in August - high season ends round about the 23rd.

Russell

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page