MHF Insurance query - Page 4 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 15:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulawayolass
l did try to make clear what l was talking about & the lady did seem to understand and l gave the example of parking up at a beauty spot while touring and spending the night there but she said no wouldnt be covered she checked with her supervisor who agreed
I don't understand this at all.

This is how I might use my van in a week - leave it at home for a day, drive it to my dancing lesson and leave it parked outside for a few hours, drive home. Drive to the supermarket, leave it in their carpark while I shop, drive home. Drive to a friend's house for a party. Leave it on the street outside and sleep in it, drive home in the morning. Drive to the beach, park up, might drive home, or might stay the night and drive home in the morning.

I don't understand the rule you've been told.

Which bit of my itinerary would leave me uninsured? Can I park outside a friend's house? How long for? Is it a problem if I leave it there overnight? Does it matter whether I stay in my friend's spare room, or whether I sleep in the van?

When I park at the beach not yet knowing if I will drive home or stay the night, when does the van start to be uninsured? At midnight? Or what? And does it matter if I sleep in it, or stay in a hotel? Or indeed, go to a club and party till 5 am?

Logic dictates that they must be making it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 19:08

I have too ask the question, so what else are they not telling us, I have give the a list of my modifications,but it does not appear in the policy documents, I will give them a call tomorrow.
post #33 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 19:27

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
Unless it is listed as a specific EXCLUSION in your policy then your MH MUST be insured (covered) whilst parked on a street. HOWEVER if the on street parking is the "normal" storage location the insurer may decline to cover it.

I would be very confident that whoever you spoke to on the telephone clearly does NOT fully understand the implications of what they are saying. An insurer cannot "pick and choose" or impose conditions UNLESS they are outlined in the policy document

In view of their comments I would be speaking directly with AVIVA (the underwriters) and cutting out the middle man (the brokers) in this instance. If, as I suspect, the information you have been given is incorrect I would take it up with AVIVA's customer service depts head.

Remember MHF WILL have recorded your telephone call. ALL insurance companies/brokers do, just in case of a dispute at some point in the future they can say "Ah yes but when we asked you xxxxx your reply was xxxxx" and that system works TWO ways of course !!!!

I have always dealt with Comfort. Whenever I ring them I get to speak with someone who FULLY understands the whole system. In fact when I have asked (very) specific questions in the past I have been instructed to go onto their website (whilst on the phone) to view the ACTUAL policy document!! They will even tell you page and paragraph to look at. Now that says to me they REALLY understand their business.

(and they have always been cheaper than MHF for some bizarre reason, even though they both use AVIVA )

post #34 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 21:28

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
I agree with MrPlodd, unless something is specifically excluded in the policy document it's covered. It's a written contract and it's binding on both parties. It cannot be varied verbally.

Policies clauses are generally quite clear. With all due respect problems arise when unnecessary questions arise, for example, " Am I covered when wild camping?" Of course you are unless the policy document says you are not, why would you ask?

You have asked a junior member of staff a question they probably don't fully understand and almost certainly don't have the competence to answer, they have taken a shot in the dark when they really should have said I don't know but I will find out and get back to you, Alan.
post #35 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 12:19

Send a message via MSN to nukeadmin
spoken to the broker, every quote / policy is done on an individual basis and I believe there is some business use included here which has complications, someone from the broker will be looking into this and will be in touch either later today / tmrw
post #36 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 12:39

Send a message via Skype™ to scottie
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukeadmin
spoken to the broker, every quote / policy is done on an individual basis and I believe there is some business use included here which has complications, someone from the broker will be looking into this and will be in touch either later today / tmrw
Hi Nuke

Can you also check on the wild camping cover,as most of of wild camp at some time.
George
post #37 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 13:15

MH Insurance

I have just spoken with Comfort who offer Aviva Plans and they have confirmed that they would not offer for use on a non registered site.
I specifically asked would they offer cover if I did not stay on a registered site. I mentioned the use of service areas they responded by saying that they had had problems with service areas and so would not cover them.. So I guess that means wild camping is out if you insure with Aviva via Comfort or MHF
post #38 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 13:21

Re: MH Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by giddy1515
I have just spoken with Comfort who offer Aviva Plans and they have confirmed that they would not offer for use on a non registered site.
I specifically asked would they offer cover if I did not stay on a registered site. I mentioned the use of service areas they responded by saying that they had had problems with service areas and so would not cover them.. So I guess that means wild camping is out if you insure with Aviva via Comfort or MHF
Are you SERIOUS? That I cannot stop at a motorway service station for a cup of tea without invalidating my insurance???? Where does it SAY that in the policy documents???????

They can't just MAKE IT UP!!!!!!!

If I stop at a service station on the motorway for a cup of tea and while I am inside a lorry crashes into my van and sets it in fire, and they refused to insure it, I would be suing the hell out of them.

I never heard anything so ridiculous.
post #39 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 13:39

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
If there is no specific exclusion WRITTEN INTO the policy document then the underwriters cannot refuse a claim.

Are these brokers getting confused over wild camping and storage on a non approved facility???

I actually have my car insured with AVIVA as well as my MH so the inference is that if stop on a M/way service area I am not insured if my car spontaneously combusts????? Thats just *********

The ONLY answer to this is for someone (OP??) to write to AVIVA asking the very specific and detailed question and requesting a WRITTEN response from them.
post #40 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 13:45

This thread needs a definitive answer (from the insurers), because I for one don't want the policy if some of the clauses being mentioned in here are accurate.

I would envisage a mass-exodus, so I do think they need answering once and for all by someone with the authority to do so.

Hearsay and assumption isn't good enough when it comes to Insurance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page