unable to insure on chassis number for brand new van - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 21-02-2012, 16:41 Thread Starter

unable to insure on chassis number for brand new van

I was somewhat disappointed to find that although MHF insurance quote was very competitive, they are unable to insure on a chassis number. Problem brand new van for collection 01/03/2012 dealer needs a cover note to register the van and obtain a reg number, no insurance no number MHF insurers cannot issue a cover note without a reg number. Cart or Horse??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 21-02-2012, 16:48

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Aviva are a big company. I think the brokers are giving you the wrong answer, they should refer your query to the company. It's a funny kind of insurance which will never be able to cover a new vehicle, Alan.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 21-02-2012, 17:07

My Motorhome: Pilote 740C Sensation
Personal Aire
Re: unable to insure on chassis number for brand new van

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldted
I was somewhat disappointed to find that although MHF insurance quote was very competitive, they are unable to insure on a chassis number. Problem brand new van for collection 01/03/2012 dealer needs a cover note to register the van and obtain a reg number, no insurance no number MHF insurers cannot issue a cover note without a reg number. Cart or Horse??
I don't remember a problem when I bought my new van. The dealer had a list of numbers from which I could choose one. I chose one and got a cover note for it and the dealer took it to the DVLA office. They issued a tax disc and authorisation to make up number plates and the V5c arrived a week or so later.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 21-02-2012, 17:10

Re: unable to insure on chassis number for brand new van

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayc
Quote:
Originally Posted by weldted
I don't remember a problem when I bought my new van. The dealer had a list of numbers from which I could choose one. I chose one and got a cover note for it and the dealer took it to the DVLA office. They issued a tax disc and authorisation to make up number plates and the V5c arrived a week or so later.
I did exactly the same when I purchased my new van, dealer gave me 5/6 registrations to choose from, selected 1 and insured from there, the insurance company (Safeguard) sent certificate to dealer who then taxed the van for me.

Ask your dealer to do same.

Keith

Do unto others as they do unto you,and then **** off before the law arrives.

There are only 3 things in this world worth a solitary dime, thats old dogs, and children and watermelon wine. (Tom T Hall)
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 21-02-2012, 17:18

My Motorhome: Burstner Elegance
As Ray and Keith said, dealers are allocated blocks of numbers from which you can choose so as to enable you to insure the vehicle. At least that is what I have always done with every new vehicle that I have purchased. Unless the rules have changed it seems very odd that your dealer can't do the same.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 21-02-2012, 17:22 Thread Starter

registering van

Hi i have just contacted Aviva who no longer insure motorhomes but refereed me to Comfort, they cannot issue a certificate on a chassis number, back to the Dealer Glossops who inform me that they cannot register a vechicle to obtain a number plate without a certificate of insurance. i am with SAGA and have had my current van insured with them for the last 4 years, I have been trying to get a quote from them since Saturday but still no quote, one of the questions is am I used to driving similar size and value units er they insure my bigger heavier longer and at new more expensive one now??
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 21-02-2012, 17:29

I have done the same as the others for both cars and motorbikes.

The dealer has had a list of registrations numbers which I have picked from. I can then get the insurance and provide them with the cover note/insurance cert.

The dealer can then register the vehicle and tax it
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 21-02-2012, 17:29

Sorry weldted Glossops may be having a laugh.
In thirty years of purchasing new cars , bikes , commercial vans I have always been allocated or chosen a reg number first so that I can get an insurance cert.

Dave p

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 21-02-2012, 17:33

I second above, this is your dealer being a pain not the insurance, they should be able to provide you with a choice of registrations, the insurance needs to go against this as this is what will identify your vehicle on the road for all the ANPR cameras and databases used by the Police and DVLA on roadside checks.

The only other way your vehicle can be driven without a number plate is on trade plates by a dealer and then they need to insure it.

Alternatively buy yourself a nice personal one from DVLA and give the insurance those details, get the dealer to put it straight on the vehicle, they start at £250.00.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 21-02-2012, 17:35

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
I have done it both ways, very odd they just like making life difficult, Alan.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in