unable to insure on chassis number for brand new van - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 21-02-2012, 17:37

I thought Comfort were brokers for Aviva
I would put the onus back on the dealer, tell them to sort it or forget it.
Most "proper" dealers use the AFRL system where it is all done on line and they issue you with a registration number and even supply the tax disc for you. Even if they are not using AFRL, I am certain they can go to their local LVLO and get a block of registration numbers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 21-02-2012, 17:41

My Motorhome: 2014 LWB High Roof VW T5 Selfbuild
Personal Aire
The facts about dealers not being able to register without a cert of insurance were quite correct 12 months ago when I bought mine.

When mine was new 1st Feb 2011 I insured with Aviva via Insurance Choice and there was no problem insuring with a pre quoted registration number by the DVLA to my dealer. It was all done with a faxed covernote ( they didn't accept eletronically transmitted ones via email attachments then).

Also Aviva were insuring Motorhomes at the begining of this month (Feb 2012) because mine was with them until I got a quote of almost half of theirs!

Rod
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 21-02-2012, 17:43 Thread Starter

van insurance

Hi again spoke to the dealer, under new rules they cant get the reg number without the insurance certificate. Just rang C&C Club no problems, quoted using chassis number valid for seven days just ring them with the reg number within that time.

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 21-02-2012, 17:45

My Motorhome: Pilote 740C Sensation
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jettdt

Alternatively buy yourself a nice personal one from DVLA and give the insurance those details, get the dealer to put it straight on the vehicle, they start at £250.00.
This may become complicated given that the OP wants to collect the MH in 10 days or so time.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 21-02-2012, 17:54

My Motorhome: Burstner Elegance
Re: van insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldted
Hi again spoke to the dealer, under new rules they cant get the reg number without the insurance certificate. Just rang C&C Club no problems, quoted using chassis number valid for seven days just ring them with the reg number within that time.
Then Comfort and MHF won't be insuring any more new motorhomes! I guess the penny will drop with them at some point.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 21-02-2012, 18:06

My Motorhome: Hymer B544SL
I think that there may be a bit of communication breakdown between you and the brokers. They are correct that they cannot issue a Certificate of Insurance on a chassis number ( it is an annual document).
However, they can issue a cover note which is a time limited document, normally 30 days, to enable you to tax it, and then issue the annual document.

I have checked and can confirm that Aviva still issue cover notes to brokers. Have another chat with them, (the brokers) this is silly.

Edit: Changs reference to insurers to read brokers.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 15:09

My Motorhome: LMC
Personal Aire
insurance with chassis number

After hours spent on computer and phone still no further forward. The lowest quotes ( including MHF) all use Aviva who will not insure on a chassis number. It is over £100 more to use one of the others and C & CC is out because it does not have a tracker. Only the bigger dealers have a choice of numbers - apparently. Have thrown it back to the dealer (Camper NE) but am feeling a bit fraught at the moment!!
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 15:16

My Motorhome: Neismann & Bischoff Arto 66F
Personal Aire
Re: registering van

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldted
Hi i have just contacted Aviva who no longer insure motorhomes but refereed me to Comfort,
Comfort / MHF use Aviva - policies are in aviva name.

[/SIZE]
As far as I know, the only motorhoming Oxford United supporter in Bognor.

I don't feed trolls!
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 17:56

Personal Aire
I know - that is what is causing the problem as they and MHF as well as Frank Pickles who I have never heard of gave the best price on like for like quotes
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 10:32

Personal Aire
van numer plate!

Well Camper NE have just rung me. They have gone through their partners Camper UK and given me a number. Now decision time. Should we go for MHF, Comfort or the unfamiliar Frank Pickles? Has anyone out there any advice or opinions or even a totally different company? Grateful for any advice.
Safeguard always in past but at £150 seems silly to stay with them unless there is a very good reason.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page