MHF Insurance - what is a "modification" - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 16:47 Thread Starter

MHF Insurance - what is a "modification"

Hi All,
Just looking at MHF insurance and noted in the not so small print
"Proposed vehicle has not been modified in any way"

Have all of you who have taken out a policy advised the insurer of ALL modifications and what is a "modification"

I have never seen a motorhome without some mods, minor items like fitting a battery master? to sat dish/dome, awnings, gaslow systems etc etc

My car insurer lists what is considered a modification and you tick off as applicable so no grey areas or confusion

So whats a mod, did you tell and what did it cost?

Regards Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 17:03

My Motorhome: Hymer B644
I am with Comfort and informed them about the sat dome,solar panels,air rides and reversing camera.

The only thing that affected the premium was the reversing camera which reduced it.

cheers Steve
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 19:35

I am with safeguard and as i see it, you advise a modification ie a solar panel fitted. Then if the un-thinkable should happen and you have a fire / big accident at least all the parts you paid extra for are covered.
On our existing van I have informed them for all the mods.
Solar panel, towbar, sat dish even the engine re-map... Made no difference to the premium..

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 20:35

My Motorhome: 2012 Bailey Approach 740
Personal Aire
I rang up and asked about mods mine didn't interest them apart from Gaslow. The awning, bike rack, cruise control were of no interest and as long as I had a Gas safety check certificate the Gaslow was alright. This was all verbally mind you but I did make a note of the date and time.
Gas safety check cert comes with my annual hab check.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 22:48

Just changed ours to MHF insurance yesterday. Told them about solar panel, gaslow, cruise control, rear bump bar but none of them made a difference to premium. They did check whether gaslow had been inspected by a qualified person but as someone has already said it was all just verbal.

Chris
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 23:00

Personal Aire
Sorry I also meant to say I swapped yesterday as well saved over £200 and my documents were emailed today so far I'm impressed.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 10:38

My Motorhome: Autosleeper Pollensa 2002 on Peugeot Boxer 2.8HDi
I informed them by telephone and confirmed in writing when I had the sound system upgraded and when I had the Tunit fitted - neither resulted in any change in premium. Things like the bike rack, top-box, awning etc. were all fitted by the supplier and included in the original purchase invoice & declared value, so I saw no need to notify them separately about those. Also made sure to inform them when Mrs B took early retirement and when I became self-employed as a Sole Trader - the 'van is also fully covered for business use at a small additional premium.

cheers
Roger
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 11:19

In March of last year, I tried to get a quote through the Caravan Club. Their cheapest was with AXA but AXA would not insure motorhomes with solar panels!! It was all documented on MHF!

In April, I had a dome fitted. This made the MH about a foot taller so I contacted MHF Insurance and got charged another £40-ish for the privilege! I'd like to think though, that any company insuring a MH knows what one is and knows what is included in the package!!

PS: Last year, the CC promised to speak with AXA to get them to review their policy.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 11:32

Was it for the extra height, or to cover the value of the dome?

I have cover with Comfort, and I'm pretty sure there's some fairly tight restrictions on value of AV equipment covered as standard...I specified the value of my satellite system to make sure it was covered.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 12:50

Personal Aire
MHF on the quote system allow you to insure any satellite kit as generally it is outside the limit for AV kit so £40-ish sounds entirely reasonable unless you just want it capped at £750.
The Sat nav added about £12 on my policy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page