Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Quote assumes business use!

5K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  DavidDredge 
#1 ·
Just tried to get a quote and it came out very expensive. Looked at the details and it says 'business use by you'

But it never even asked for my occupation! (I am retired)

David

#2 ·
AFAIK the following process is used:-

Quotations are based on a Class 1 business use basis. If, however, the occupation input is one of the following:
Retired
Student
Unemployed
Housewife/House-husband
The quotation will be based on Social Domestic & Pleasure use only

Any insurance policy will never be cheaper for everyone as there are too many variables and some insurers will gear their policy more towards a specific type of client perhaps, and also renewal / new business discounts etc all apply

#4 ·
I have just insured with mhf and they quoted the lowest of all, I get carers allowance because my daughter is disabled and the policy says care assistant but I did make clear to them that I am not employed , the van is just insured for social domestiic leisure they told me the 'business' tag was nothing to do woth business use.
I am new to all this, the van hasnt been delivered yet :( it was due on friday :silent:

#6 ·
I had the same result. Comfort Insurance also automatically put it down as Business Use.

I am also retired and cannot afford the £500+ that MHF want.

MHF left a message on my answer machine for me to ring them back. Why should I bother?

If they cannot get the website set up correctly then I will go elsewhere.

BTW, I have had a good quote from C & CC.

#8 ·
OK Got the information on occupation direct from the horses mouth so to speak ;)

"Occupation has no bearing on the policy that why we don’t ask the question to quote

All the occupation will do is give the correct class of use dependant on the occupation

We do get the exact occupation form the client at the point of them buying the policy
"

#9 ·
Nukeadmin posted from the horses mouth,

"Occupation has no bearing on the policy that why we don’t ask the question to quote"

Well OK.

Then, "All the occupation will do is give the correct class of use dependant on the occupation"

The second sentence disagrees with the first surely. If occupation will determine class of use, then occupation does have a bearing. Either that or all classes of use are considered the same and cost the same.

But if that's so then why bother with this, "We do get the exact occupation form the client at the point of them buying the policy", as they have stated in the first sentence that occupation has no bearing.

It does not matter to me how they arrive at a premium, but what should matter to everybody is that they make statements like that which are contradictory and unclear.

Perhaps it needs clarification, Alan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.