Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/)
-   MotorhomeFacts Policy Insurance Enquiries (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/214-motorhomefacts-policy-insurance-enquiries/)
-   -   Quote assumes business use! (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/214-motorhomefacts-policy-insurance-enquiries/92615-quote-assumes-business-use.html)

DavidDredge 14-11-2011 15:10

Quote assumes business use!

Just tried to get a quote and it came out very expensive. Looked at the details and it says 'business use by you'

But it never even asked for my occupation! (I am retired)

David

nukeadmin 14-11-2011 15:15

AFAIK the following process is used:-

Quotations are based on a Class 1 business use basis. If, however, the occupation input is one of the following:
Retired
Student
Unemployed
Housewife/House-husband
The quotation will be based on Social Domestic & Pleasure use only

Any insurance policy will never be cheaper for everyone as there are too many variables and some insurers will gear their policy more towards a specific type of client perhaps, and also renewal / new business discounts etc all apply

DavidDredge 14-11-2011 16:06

But there was no occupation input!

elainekirk 14-11-2011 16:18

I have just insured with mhf and they quoted the lowest of all, I get carers allowance because my daughter is disabled and the policy says care assistant but I did make clear to them that I am not employed , the van is just insured for social domestiic leisure they told me the 'business' tag was nothing to do woth business use.
I am new to all this, the van hasnt been delivered yet :( it was due on friday :silent:

DavidDredge 14-11-2011 16:36

Super, but did you use the online quote system?

Because it does not ask for your occupation!

David

747 14-11-2011 16:47

I had the same result. Comfort Insurance also automatically put it down as Business Use.

I am also retired and cannot afford the £500+ that MHF want.

MHF left a message on my answer machine for me to ring them back. Why should I bother?

If they cannot get the website set up correctly then I will go elsewhere.

BTW, I have had a good quote from C & CC.

DavidDredge 14-11-2011 17:47

To be fair to them, they have just called me to discuss my quote. Its clear that this policy is not designed for someone me (retired, no claims, full NCB etc). But clearly many people do benefit so I won't criticise further.

nukeadmin 15-11-2011 10:01

OK Got the information on occupation direct from the horses mouth so to speak ;)

"Occupation has no bearing on the policy that why we donít ask the question to quote

All the occupation will do is give the correct class of use dependant on the occupation

We do get the exact occupation form the client at the point of them buying the policy
"

erneboy 15-11-2011 10:37

Nukeadmin posted from the horses mouth,

"Occupation has no bearing on the policy that why we donít ask the question to quote"

Well OK.

Then, "All the occupation will do is give the correct class of use dependant on the occupation"

The second sentence disagrees with the first surely. If occupation will determine class of use, then occupation does have a bearing. Either that or all classes of use are considered the same and cost the same.

But if that's so then why bother with this, "We do get the exact occupation form the client at the point of them buying the policy", as they have stated in the first sentence that occupation has no bearing.

It does not matter to me how they arrive at a premium, but what should matter to everybody is that they make statements like that which are contradictory and unclear.

Perhaps it needs clarification, Alan.

DavidDredge 15-11-2011 10:52

Mind you they ask next to nothing about the Motorhome either!