Stunned by swap cost on MHF insurance - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 20-09-2011, 11:24 Thread Starter

Stunned by swap cost on MHF insurance

I sold the E700G and am looking at a little S560 Mercedes. The old policy with MHF still has 7 months and 3 weeks to run so I thought I'd do a swap.

Half the value vehicle, 5 years older, I thought maybe I'd be paying a £50 admin charge and that's it, but no they want another £180 to insure the smaller vehicle for seven months and 3 weeks.

Apparently it's a higher cost vehicle to repair but it seems strange to me. Anyway I suppose that since I'd probably get sixpence back if I went for a refund it's still my best option, but not very happy.

I don't know why I'm buying it anyway really, just caught my eye as a neat little bundle. Perhaps I won't...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 20-09-2011, 13:32

Re: Stunned by swap cost on MHF insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRadio
I sold the E700G and am looking at a little S560 Mercedes. The old policy with MHF still has 7 months and 3 weeks to run so I thought I'd do a swap.

Half the value vehicle, 5 years older, I thought maybe I'd be paying a £50 admin charge and that's it, but no they want another £180 to insure the smaller vehicle for seven months and 3 weeks.

Apparently it's a higher cost vehicle to repair but it seems strange to me. Anyway I suppose that since I'd probably get sixpence back if I went for a refund it's still my best option, but not very happy.

I don't know why I'm buying it anyway really, just caught my eye as a neat little bundle. Perhaps I won't...
I'd be stunned as well. Is it worth contacting them again just in case whoever you spoke to has got it wrong?

Norman ´n´ Liz
Moving on
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 20-09-2011, 13:46 Thread Starter

Don't think so but in the end trying to do a deal in the two days I had available has proved too hard so if it's still for sale when I get back at the end of the month I'll go for it.

Why are all motorhomes for sale in the North! (Don't answer this but it always seems that way).

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 20-09-2011, 21:04

We went from a G reg Pilote to an 02 Auto Trail C I , Fully comp, with Caravan Club, cost for remaining 8 months on Policy, an extra £30.

Think you should shop around?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 11:36 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangitira
We went from a G reg Pilote to an 02 Auto Trail C I , Fully comp, with Caravan Club, cost for remaining 8 months on Policy, an extra £30.

Think you should shop around?
Yes but I can't shop around for the swap can I? Entirely in their hands. Probably cheaper to go for a new policy if I go for the deal now I'm home again, (it's still for sale).

I think it's a pity the insurance is called Motorhomefacts because I like and respect everything Dave has done and the value this site brings to us all, but even though I'm sure it's not really HIM, it's his name over the door.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 12:23

Thats business.

Screw em when you have chance.

Premiums have increased during the last 6 months, world catastophes etc.
We pay aprox £360 which includes eu breakdown and recovery

i think that is not too bad.

Dave p

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 12:47

Yep we pay £326 for same Dave with safeguard and still don't have full no claims

Andy
My Aire galleries HERE
Use of the tab will get you more answers

Excusez-moi si mon message est perdu dans la traduction
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 12:50
xgx

My Motorhome: I drive...
Check on your 'no claims bonus' (ncb) with your current insurer!

Comfort and as far as I'm aware, MHF ins policies have no ncb element ... I've changed this year simply because if I hadn't, I'd have lost my acquired ncb!!

Graham
(aka 1dr ... long story)
N. Cambs/S. Lincs
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 13:15

My Motorhome: RAPIDO 7090+
It must be simply the new vans cost to insure? I am with Comfort and change vans this coming Tuesday. Last year for the Rapido I paid £396 fully comp, no breakdown cover. To change and renew my brand new van with 12 days before my renewal was due my premium for the Swift Kon-tiki was only £280.60p! :P Again no breakdown cover as the new van is covered by Fiat. And to top off the deal they did not charge me an admin fee for changing vans. Bargin I think.....

Keith
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 13:15

motorhomee insurance

Posted before on this subject.. After Saga we contacted NFU, (we have a local branch - brilliant. Just renewed and noticed they didn't have details of our tracker, phoned and got another £40 off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page