Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/)
-   MotorhomeFacts Policy Insurance Enquiries (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/214-motorhomefacts-policy-insurance-enquiries/)
-   -   Urgent help required. (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/214-motorhomefacts-policy-insurance-enquiries/89700-urgent-help-required.html)

commuter 01-09-2011 09:37

Urgent help required.

Sorry for shouting.

Mod note. Shouting in the title is OK for a genuine emergency, which this is! We will edit the title to lower case when your problem is resolved. Good luck!

we are about to pickup our first motorhome at the weekend. I've just spoken to MHF insurance regarding cover and they will not insure my wife to drive our new baby because she's a German national living in the UK (been here 7 years) and has a full euro licence (10 years +) not a UK licence.

Does anyone know of an insurance company who may cover her without her having to take a UK test and then sit out the 2 year qualifying period that MHF insurance require?

Thanks for your time

BrianJP 01-09-2011 09:53

Hi Google search came up with a number of options.This was one

http://www.homeapproved.co.uk/intern...ce-holders.htm

Glandwr 01-09-2011 10:01

Why not try your insurance company for an "any driver" policy? Surely be more expensive but less so than the test route etc.?

Dick

Addie 01-09-2011 10:03

What other insurance companies have you tried? It might just be a case of calling them all.

I know its not what you asked, but according to the Direct Gov website after living here for 5 years she must exchange her German Licence for an English one anyway:

To quote:

"A valid community licence issued on the strength of a driving test within the EC/EEA, will allow you to drive in GB for a set period. Alternatively, you can exchange your licence for a British licence.

Provided your licence remains valid you may drive in GB:

Until aged 45 or for five years after becoming resident, whichever is the longer period

If you are aged over 45 (but under 65) until your 66th birthday or for five years after becoming resident, whichever is the shorter period.

In order to continue driving after these periods, you must get a British driving licence.

Holders of community licences with vocational entitlement who live in GB must register their details with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA). For further information you can contact them on 0300 790 6801.
"

commuter 01-09-2011 10:05

Thanks for that BrianJP

The closest they appear to come are caravans and vans but I'll give them a call

Any other thoughts would be welcome

commuter 01-09-2011 10:07

Thanks Addie I'm next to a DVLA office so I'll pop in and get some more info

Stanner 01-09-2011 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Addie
What other insurance companies have you tried? It might just be a case of calling them all.

I know its not what you asked, but according to the Direct Gov website after living here for 5 years she must exchange her German Licence for an English one anyway:

To quote:

"A valid community licence issued on the strength of a driving test within the EC/EEA, will allow you to drive in GB for a set period. Alternatively, you can exchange your licence for a British licence.

Provided your licence remains valid you may drive in GB:

Until aged 45 or for five years after becoming resident, whichever is the longer period

If you are aged over 45 (but under 65) until your 66th birthday or for five years after becoming resident, whichever is the shorter period.

In order to continue driving after these periods, you must get a British driving licence.

Holders of community licences with vocational entitlement who live in GB must register their details with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA). For further information you can contact them on 0300 790 6801.
"

That's what I thought as well - Euro licence = Euro licence - no test required, but must exchange De one for UK one to stay legal.

commuter 01-09-2011 10:15

Addie just having a quick look at DVLA site and going through the questions regarding EU nationals in UK it looks like she can drive up to 70 years old but I will check it anyway as she needs her car for her NHS work

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/Mo...A0+Next%C2%A0+

Can you drive in Great Britain (GB) if your driving licence was issued in another country?
Conclusion

List of European Community/European Economic Area (EC/EEA) countries: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Republic of Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom.

you can drive in Great Britain (GB) on your full, valid driving licence from an EC/EEA country, until you are 70, or for three years after becoming a resident, whichever is the longer period
if your driving licence has been previously exchanged from a non-EC/EEA country you can drive for up to 12 months from the time you first became resident. You will need to stop driving at the end of the 12 months. You may be able to exchange your licence for a British one

More about exchanging your driving licence

We value your opinion on how useful this interactive tool has been.

Please give us your comments

Your previous answers

Q: Are you?

A: A resident of Great Britain (GB) Change

Q: Is your driving licence for a?

A: Car and or motorcycle Change

Q: What country issued your current driving licence?

A: European Community/European Economic Area EC/EEA Change

commuter 01-09-2011 10:23

Looks like no test required just £50 and documents

Can you exchange your driving licence for one issued in Great Britain (GB)?
Conclusion

Your current driving licence can also be exchanged if it was previously issued in a designated country. If your licence is lost or stolen you will need to obtain written confirmation of your driving licence from the issuing licensing authority to send with your application.

What you need to do

complete the application form D1, available from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) form ordering service or from Post Office® branches
enclose original identity documentation confirming your identity
enclose one passport sized colour photograph
enclose the fee of £50.00, cheque or postal orders made payable to ‘DVLA, Swansea’
enclose your current driving licence (this will be returned to the issuing licensing authority)
send your completed application to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BT or you may be able to use the premium checking service

What happens next

your new driving licence will normally be issued within 15 working days from the day the DVLA receives your application

Order your D1 application form using the DVLA form ordering service
More about identity documentation and photograph criteria
More about using the premium checking service

Your previous answers

A: Car and or motorcycle only Change

A: European Community/European Economic Area (EC/EEA) Change

Addie 01-09-2011 10:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by commuter
Addie just having a quick look at DVLA site and going through the questions regarding EU nationals in UK it looks like she can drive up to 70 years old but I will check it anyway as she needs her car for her NHS work

Can you drive in Great Britain (GB) if your driving licence was issued in another country?
Conclusion

List of European Community/European Economic Area (EC/EEA) countries: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Republic of Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom.

you can drive in Great Britain (GB) on your full, valid driving licence from an EC/EEA country, until you are 70, or for three years after becoming a resident, whichever is the longer period
if your driving licence has been previously exchanged from a non-EC/EEA country you can drive for up to 12 months from the time you first became resident. You will need to stop driving at the end of the 12 months. You may be able to exchange your licence for a British one

More about exchanging your driving licence

Your previous answers

A: Car and or motorcycle Change

A: European Community/European Economic Area EC/EEA Change

I think the key here is if she is a 'resident' in the UK or not. I'm not sure what constitutes that by law but given what you've said about the length of her stay and her needed a car for work I would get here a UK licence to be sure.

Direct.Gov said 5 years: http://m.direct.gov.uk/syndicationCo...955&pg=&param=