Urgent help required. - Page 3 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 14:32 Thread Starter

forgot to say broker was

http://www.frankpickles.co.uk/motorhome-insurance.asp

please don't tell me not to touch him with a brown, sticky, stick like thing

How´s my driving? Call 0800..........AAAAARRGH!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 14:33

Hi Commuter

I'll edit your title into mixed case now, since you seem to be more or less sorted.

If we keep upper case titles strictly for emergencies they get noticed immediately . . . as you were fortunate to discover!

Someone on MHF has the answer to just about any question you can think of!!

Dave
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 15:01

My Motorhome: Autosleeper Pollensa 2002 on Peugeot Boxer 2.8HDi
Quote:
Originally Posted by commuter
. . . I know that's the simple solution but in her mind it's not simple to let go of a part of her national identity. It's also not a quick fix. . . .
I can fully understand this, especially if she goes 'home' to Germany from time to time for visits and maybe wants to hire a car! I was initially surprised that the process of getting a GB licence meant surrendering the original to DVLA to be sent back to the issuing authority, however on thinking about this I suppose it's obvious that you couldn't have two concurrent licences otherwise you could double your penalty points accumulation limit!

Have you looked at the reverse process, i.e. should she ever wish to recover her DE licence in place of the GB what would she have to do?

cheers
Roger

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 15:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by commuter
believe it or not back from DVLA

The info from counter service is that she is a resident and is allowed to drive in the UK on an EU issued licence until the age of 70 (he qualified this as "actually pensionable age but that keeps changing")

She can, if she wants to, surrender her German licence to Swansea and simply exchange for a full valid UK licence without taking a test

I am more comfortable now that she is "legal" and all we have to do is find an insurance company to cover her
I would double check that since all of the online information states you must have a UK licence if you are resident for 3 (or 5) years as well as the 70 clause. I mentioned this initially as a Polish lad I know got stopped and produced a Polish licence and was told it was not valid as he had lived in the UK too long. The reason being is of course you are exempt from the UK 'points' system without a UK licence.

I do know however that once he surrendered his UK licence he applied for a Polish replacement!

I guess this all hangs on what counts as being a resident. I'm not sure if 'the woman at the counter' would satisfy my concerns!
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 15:33 Thread Starter

Thanks Zebedee

and thanks Addie the "man at the counter" seems to think that if points were awarded for an offence against someone carrying a "foreign" licence they would be presented on a separate sheet and obviously the details would be logged against the drivers name and address

I have a number for DVLA licensing and will be contacting them to get it in writing if possible

If the worst comes to the worst I will be doing all of the driving this weekend when we pickup "Smurf" (kids decided the overcab looks like a Smurf hat)

I have spoken to my wife about her licence and surrendering it. She had already concluded this is probably the best option and is a little sad about it

post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 22:54 Thread Starter

we went to DVLA on friday and put in an application for my wife's licence to be changed to a full UK licence

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page