Breakdown Cover - Recommendations? - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 17-06-2011, 21:34

We are with Brittania and had a manifold to the first box give up on us just outside of Rome on our way to Pompei between Xmas and New Year. We phoned Brittania, not wanting to be brought home, just to let us know of where to go to. They took down our co ordinates and within an hour came back and told us where to to. The WV service station was waiting for us when we arrived, assisted us with EH and parking for the night. We were on the road again by midday the day after. Brittania stepped up to the mark! The VW dealer (athough we were a Ducato chassis and right hand drive..went out of their way to assist us! And the bill was less than we expected...bonus!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 18-06-2011, 09:38

We are covered with ADAC. The ADACplus policy covers both of us and any vehicle we drive - so for us thats cars, motorbikes and MH (not all at once ).

MH size limits very good - up to 10 metres long, 3.2 high and 7.5 tonnes.

79 euros for UK and europe breakdown with lots of extras (repatriation of dogs included!!)
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 18-06-2011, 14:22

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Saga do offer cover which is not limited by size or weight but some of their tele sales staff do not know that they do.

I am with Saga and have contacted them pointing out that their staff are turning business away by giving the wrong information. I thought they might welcome the chance to address this issue, it seems not.

I have several emails from them stating that there are no limits and have asked if I could post the emails on here. They objected to my doing that saying that the emails are private.

I am afraid the words **** up and brewery come to mind as I have been gently pointing this out to them for more than two years and yet they still give incorrect information to potential customers.

I will find my recent thread on the topic and post a link here, Alan.

Here is the thread: https://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftopict-107996-.html

If anyone wants a copy of one the emails I have so that they can be assured their van is covered I will PM them the most recent one if they contact me.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 18-06-2011, 16:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkbuoy

ADAC for us as well.

Maddie
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 18-06-2011, 16:43

We considered ADAC as it is relatively cheap and gets good write-ups but it doesn't do "at home". To us, that was important, so we went with RAC through CCC ("arrival" scheme, which covers you off road eg campsites as well).

A couple of weeks later, in the depth of December's cold spell, the front suspension on the car collapsed just as I was leaving the drive - the RAC breakdown truck took it to my local garage, who said they would have charged £80 transportation.

Probably the money I could save with ADAC would cover these sort of expenses, especially over a few years. But if I'm away and Barbara can't get the car started (fortunately a rare occurence), she will have to wait for someone in the family to be off work and able to help (and no guarantee that they will be able to sort things). Our rural bus service is infrequent and taxis are expensive - if we lived in a town I might go with ADAC.

Only you can make the appropriate choices!

Good luck - Gordon
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 18-06-2011, 19:15

Green flag for me too

Richard
´HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE & A HAPPY NEW YEAR´
The above is only a personal opinion
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 18-06-2011, 20:43

ADAC PLUS does cover at home I had to call them out in march AA turned up no problem and cover is for europe and countries boardering med but think i will give syria a miss for now
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 19-06-2011, 15:22

ADAC does cover in the UK through their partners - the AA. Home start is also included as well as off road recovery.

Thankfully, I have not had cause to use them but I called the UK 0800 number to 'test' it and it was indeed the AA
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 19-06-2011, 21:43

i also have saga insurance with breakdown cover, as i'm in the process of changing to an e560 when i altered the details, as erneboy said i was told the new motorhome wouldn't be covered.
so i emailed customer relation's and recieved a reply along the lines of,

Dear Mr D****

Thank you for your recent communication regarding your Saga Motorhome Insurance, policy number ***********

I am writing to confirm that there are no rescrictions under the Saga Breakdown assistance on the size of your Motorhome.

If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us via email or by calling our Customer Services Department on 0845 366 1601, Monday to Friday 8:30 - 5:30pm Saturday 8:30am to 1:00pm.

Yours sincerely

Customer Service Advisor
Saga Services Limited

TRACKING NUMBER: A0000***************

i have now printed a couple of copies 1 to keep with my documents and one to keep with all the copied docs in the motorhome,
i think they do 2 levels of cover basic £74 and euro and assistance plus cost £84
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 20-06-2011, 15:01

I too am with Saga. There are no weight/length restrictions but in common with others I was originally sent the Car Breakdown handbook when I requested details which does have some restrictions. Therein I believe lies the confusion.

I had need to call them out earlier in the year when in France and my vehicle battery had died on site. I requested they send me a battery out instead of being recovered which they did and the garage truck arrived as stated within 45 mins. The mechanic checked the old one asked me if I wanted to change it and fitted the new one without any fuss. A good service.

JohnW

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page