Motorhome Facts Forum banner

A Dilemma

13K views 34 replies 18 participants last post by  gpg1963 
#1 ·
Membership is up for renewal this month, have been with MHF insurance for 4 years. If I don't renew my subs (and sadly the way this forum is going I am considering this option after 6 years!) I will probably be unable to renew my insurance as a non member. Are the savings worth the subs or are there better options out there?

I am not asking to be flamed so don't even think about it! Constructive advice or suggestions only please. Is the saving worth the yearly subs or is it better to go direct to Comfort

#6 ·
#11 ·
I wasn't aware that you had to be a member here to get your insurance with Facts or that there was anything but a minimal discount for members.........................................if you decide to switch to Comfort it's pretty much the same policy.

Things have changed here but one useful post a year can recoup the costs. We also have a neutral moderator (with legal business responsibilities) that I do not think would allow half the posts that pass for Fun in a certain U shaped lounge...................it's a problem when one person has dictatorial sorry editorial control.

Reactions: HarleyDave
#12 ·
Would the solution be to get quotes from MHF and other insurance suppliers prior to your membership running out?

That way if you secure a better deal elsewhere that your MHF quote with membership, then you have your answer. If the MHF deal is more than £12 better than anyone else; renew your membership and then get the deal. You don't have to be an active member do you?

This presupposes that insurance quotes are valid for X days (normally 30 I guess?) so you can get the quote just prior to your MHF renewal and then decide what to do.

Or have I missed something obvious here :smile2:

Graham:smile2:

Reactions: HarleyDave
#13 ·
"We also have here a neutral moderator (with legal business responsibilities)"

tony :wink2:

#14 ·
I think if you really are not happy with being a member on here then of course do not renew.The discount was arranged at 5% to start with.This used to coincide with the cost of the dues.
The subjects covered on here have widened to cover many things, this may be because the nature of the beast has changed as well.A lot more members feel able to post without worrying about the type of response they get.Hurrah.

Perhaps you should explain what it is you are expecting or even want from a forum.

cabby

#15 ·
Guys I have really enjoyed my membership here and hopefully have contributed a few constructive posts and helped others. I have also been reading some negative feedback re the MHF insurance and was hoping someone would chip in with their experiences. As my first post On this thread I have used it for 4 years but have never had cause to make a claim.

I am not anti this forum but things have taken a nosedive for the worst since Nuke sold it to a commercial enterprise who seem to have shall we say a very laid back response to members worries and complaints. We have also seen a lot of long time stalwarts vote with their feet and leave for pastures new. Of late many have strived to revitalise it but without back up, help and guidance from our owners it is very difficult. I will say much of the backbiting, trolling and very negative/insulting replies to posts seems to have improved. £12 is nothing these days so I may give it another year in the hope this forum does continue to pick itself up a lot has been lost since the sale.

It is us the membership that make or break a forum as others have found to their cost maybe our overseas own need to listen more and be more pro-active.

#16 ·
I am a member of other forums as well as this one and think that the subs are well worth paying.

Running a motorhome is not cheap when you take all the costs into consideration.
Is £12 going to break the bank? How far can you drive for £12?

Just renew and enjoy the few threads that interest you and ignore the ones that don't.
For 25p per week it ain't put you into poverty, just enjoy and chill.

#18 ·
There is no need in practice to be a member of MHF in order to avail oneself of their insurance - certainly no-one ever asks me if I am a member when I renew.

As for whether the forum is worth the £10 or £12 or whatever it is, it's like saying is the Daily Mail worth 90p each day or the FT worth £2.50. It's entirely subjective and a matter of personal choice and i would never seek to persuade or dissuade anyone from their intentions.

#19 · (Edited)
Firstly if you actually have to be a member, then you still will be, just not subscribed, and hopefully the subs would not tip the scales anyway :wink2:, and why not shop around, few companies do not increase each year, we just got a quote for £230, I know we can do better.

MHF insurance has never been the cheapest or best option when ringing round, just a starting point.

#21 ·
Well, I dunno what all this moaning is about.

We've all had time to get used to the new platform now, if we haven't that's probably down to us to try harder and keep up.

As for content, sure, we lost a lot of useful members and I am disappointed that more of them haven't returned. We still have plenty of genuinely nice, happy and helpful people on here and I enjoy coming here.

Sure there is the occasional unnecessary comment from someone who has nothing better to do (I bet that applies to most fora), but there is still a wealth of experience and technical knowledge here. There is humour too and, despite the naysayers, any forum would be an arid place without the occasional humour and daft behaviour. I've had a lot of fun here the last couple of years, as well as learning a lot. I've met some of you,too, and a nicer lot of people I couldn't hope for. My 'contributions' have probably been more of the mischevous humour sort, but hopefully given a few of you the occasional smile or chortle.

Trolling has no place on here. The experience of some months ago should be a lesson to us all and we can self-moderate stuff like that if we can stick together and not feed them. The snow-chain thing was just a bit of Fruitcake Christmas fun which most of you saw through straight away, so please don't think of that negatively.

Compare the sub with the annual cost of a magazine. No pages of ads, you get pretty instant replies to model-specific questions, even experienced advice about things like scoots, electric bikes, satnavs, awnings or other accessories. You read about the travels of people just like us, and you take us with you on your travels too. I remember being parked up on the mean streets of Stornaway one evening in a right old downpour, and chatting with you. That's the sort of things I get from the forum. For 12 quid or whatever, it's a no-brainer.

#23 ·
As for content, sure, we lost a lot of useful members and I am disappointed that more of them haven't returned. We still have plenty of genuinely nice, happy and helpful people on here and I enjoy coming here.
We also got some pretty good newbies over the last couple of years, yourself included in that Tuggs, many of which have made good contributions along the way, like Tugs pardner Jan, always good for a titter, although she seems to have strayed a lot lately :D :D

£12, you avina giraffe ;):surprise::surprise:

#24 ·
My personal perspective.
I have and never will tie up any purchase with the condition of any membership in any form.
I like to be independent, with no conditions!
Regarding the fee here, as mentioned by many over the years, it is a no brainer, for the information available, but for me I am here to talk motorhomes as it is my hobby. If I can help along the way, then that's extra good, and sometimes, I do receive good advice, such as recently regarding a scooter.
Then not forgetting the support when Elle dog was seriously ill!
I can only think of one person who has left or more likely just gone quiet, I can most certainly do without, but that's life, however the many are just like minded folk enjoying motorhoming!
My advice, is separate membership from other purchases and enjoy it here for what it is:smile2:

Reactions: greygit
#25 ·
I tell you what though. When I signed out the other day and tried to register as a new user to do the Snow Chain wind up it wasnt that obvious how you register. VS really need to make it simple for new members to sign up.

As for the insurance, I cant comment as Im with Safeguard but Ill always be a member on here. Tugboat sums it up well. Nofink more to say really.

#26 ·
In reply to the OP, again. We have managed to steer away from negative unfounded posts about the forum, which is still vibrant with a fully diverse membership, covering humane, current and technical subjects.
The owners of the forum have more than this one to cope with and we do get things done as requested if it is possible.

Previous threads have told of the good service they have had when broken down overseas, I have had fast service myself on a breakdown in the UK.The insurance premium is similar to many others within a small amount.
So you should shop around for insurance quotes, but do check up on the breakdown service they offer.

You do not have to be a member on here, but can still read all the posts when you like to call up the site, perhaps later you might find that you would like to come back on as a full member.you will be most welcome. All I ask is stop whinging about the forum, it does not help in any way, shape or form.

cabby

#27 ·
Previous threads have told of the good service they have had when broken down overseas, I have had fast service myself on a breakdown in the UK.The insurance premium is similar to many others within a small amount.
So you should shop around for insurance quotes, but do check up on the breakdown service they offer.

cabby[/QUOTE

Phil

I was not quite sure what 'service' you are referring to - whether from insurers or MHF Members and what the 'insurance premium' is - whether actual insurance company or MHF subscription.

We may be talking the same talk, so no argument from me.

I have posted before that apart from all the ongoing info and banter, the thought that with a technical, or other problem, in some remote spot and not speaking the lingo, one could post on here in English and have a reasonable chance of answer makes for me the few quid a good-value 'insurance premium'. And as I said before AA/RAC/ADAC do not fix gas cookers etc.

I also thought 'Tugboat's post was very good - he has his uses - even on land:laugh:

#28 ·
For me the subs fee is worth it for peace of mind knowing that if you have a problem or are in trouble at home or abroad there are always someone on here willing and able to help.
I have had a few questions and problems over the years while in France,and if they dont always solve them they can put my mind at rest till im home.

Just look at Barry,he would never be seen again if it was`nt for Motorhomefacts! >:)

#30 ·
I cannot see why you have a dilemma.Just choose if you want to stay as a full member and shop around for your insurance.Majority are more than happy with the upturn this forum has taken over the last few months.

Nicholsong, it was the RAC insurance breakdown in the UK for me via the MHF insurance policy Platinum extra.

cabby

#31 ·
No email replies

Me too feel a bit disappointed with the fact that after sending various emails to admin@motorhomefacts.com no reply was given. I need some up to date membership card to renew my Insurance and cannot replies. Is this something other people experience? Do I have the wrong email address? it is frustrating that when we pay a subscription and do not get the service you expect.
Appreciate your feedback
Regards
gentis

#33 ·
Me too feel a bit disappointed with the fact that after sending various emails to admin@motorhomefacts.com no reply was given. I need some up to date membership card to renew my Insurance and cannot replies. Is this something other people experience? Do I have the wrong email address? it is frustrating that when we pay a subscription and do not get the service you expect.
Appreciate your feedback
Regards
gentis
I think you only need your membership number, Peter had a way of bringing it up, but I forget how, but you can got to the old home page and it's top right as before so just write it down.

Reactions: gpg1963
#32 ·
I think the Email link you're using is to the old site?
The addresses using the @Motorhomefacts mailbox are long gone.

Have you tried the "contact us" link at the bottom of the thread pages?
http://forums.motorhomefacts.com/sendmessage.php

Dunno if that works but worth a try.

You can also try sending a PM to VS-jeff
http://forums.motorhomefacts.com/members/179362-vs-jeff.html

As for membership cards - they were just something dreamed up by Nuke on the old site and they're no longer issued. You don't need a membership card or number to renew your insurance, just make up a number if you want.

#34 · (Edited)
You need to go here> http://www.motorhomefacts.com/fsearch-newposts.html < let it settle, then log in on the right with your normal details, the page will update to show your membership number as below, I've just done the screen dump so it's working.

Looks like all the other info on that page is out of date, except for the subs date.

Reactions: gpg1963
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.