Not impressed with Victor Millwell insurance - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 21-07-2014, 22:16 Thread Starter

Not impressed with Victor Millwell insurance

I recently took out a policy with Victor Millwell insurance via my broker, becoming in place from Monday 14 July, however I didn't collect it until Thursday 17 July. Every time I enquired about covering the satellite system, solar panel etc., they kept adding onto the base price. As I wasn't very impressed with this, I decided to get a quote from Caravan Guard. They were brilliant, gave me a great price which included everything and discount for being a member of motorhome facts, caravan club etc and will gain no claims discount over the years, something which Victor Millwell said they wouldn't pay. So I decided to cancel the VM policy on Friday 18 July as it was within the 14 days cooling off period. They have said there will be a cover charge from the 14-18 July which is understandable, however they have also said there will be a 25 cancellation charge which I find unacceptable as it was within the 14 days even though I hadn't in fact parted with any money. Has anyone had this problem before, and is there an official body I can speak to about this as Caravan Guard said that if I cancelled with them within the 14 days, there wouldn't be any cancellation charge at all.
Appreciate any comments. Thanks Hazel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 21-07-2014, 23:15

Re: Not impressed with Victor Millwell insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanny55
however they have also said there will be a 25 cancellation charge which I find unacceptable as it was within the 14 days even though I hadn't in fact parted with any money. Has anyone had this problem before, and is there an official body I can speak to about this as Caravan Guard said that if I cancelled with them within the 14 days, there wouldn't be any cancellation charge at all.
Appreciate any comments. Thanks Hazel
Well there is but don't bother as the Financial Ombudsman Service (if that is what they are still called) will just roll over after keeping you waiting for almost 2 years and say "well if that is what they say in their terms and conditions - there is nothing we can do about it".

I had exactly the same situation I bought insurance by phone and as soon as the papers arrived I realised it wasn't what I understood I'd bought - I cancelled immediately by phone and sent all the documents back "Recorded Delivery" if I was actually covered at all, it was for a bout 24 hours.
The broker then tried to keep not only the 25 "admin fee" but also their "lost" commission - so out of the 200 premium I was sent a cheque for less than 150 which I refused to accept and returned it to the broker.

I complained to the FOS and after over 18 months was forced to accept a settlement whereby they didn't keep their lost commission but did keep the admin fee because "it was clearly set out in their terms and conditions".

If you paid by credit card I advise you to take it up with the card issuer under the Consumer Credit Act (you didn't get the cover you wanted)
http://goo.gl/YBqeMM

and under the "Distance Selling Regulations"

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/c...DV065-1001.txt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page