MHF Breakdown with trailer - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 18:06 Thread Starter

MHF Breakdown with trailer

This is my second year with MHF and have the Plantinum policy.
This year I will be towing a trailer with a smart car and noticed that the policy only seems to cover for the UK,
"Cover is provided in Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands and the I.O.M. if your vehicle, or a trailer being towed by it breaks down".
There is no mention of trailer inclusion under the European section.

I have queried this with MHF only to be told that if I break down only the MH and trailer is covered and any vehicle on the trailer would have to removed. They have said that Europe was included but could not tell me where in the policy documents it states this.
Bizarrely the person I spoke to said that if I was trailing a car it would need its own breakdown cover, which is has, but this is irrelevant if the MH broke down.

Has anybody any experience of this as I am particularly worried that I may not be covered in France but if I am and have to drive the Smart car separately I will have two vehicles one of which will not be listed for the Channel tunnel if the rig has to be repatriated.
Regards
Terry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 19:39

I tow my car on an a frame but if i had a trailer i would fit a tow bar on the car, then if my motorhome broke down i would tow the trailer home whilst the motorhome was being repatriated.

Dave
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 22:58

My Motorhome: Hymer B614SL
Does that apply to ANY load on a trailer?
What if tou were towing a trailer with a load of wood on it? Would you have to remove the wood?
What if the trailer was a box trailer? Would you have to remove the load from within the box trailer?
What if the car was inside a box trailer? Would they know?

The car is just a load on a trailer. Why should it be removed any more so than any other load would be?

I would 'phone them up and ask them some difficult questions and see if they can provide you with some consistent answers!

Mike

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 23:42

Motorhome facts insurance with trailer

Hi,You have to make sure you ask all the info from any insurance company,same as breakdown cover,i am with Aviva and cover for car trailer and motorhome,also breakdown cover for all,regards H
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 00:12

Location: Summer - Overton, Hampshire: Winter - La Manga, Spain
My Motorhome: Eura Mobil Integra 810 HB-L is sold and gone. Hobby 650 Prestige caravan for Winters in Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by G7UXG
Does that apply to ANY load on a trailer?
What if tou were towing a trailer with a load of wood on it? Would you have to remove the wood?
What if the trailer was a box trailer? Would you have to remove the load from within the box trailer?
What if the car was inside a box trailer? Would they know?

The car is just a load on a trailer. Why should it be removed any more so than any other load would be?

I would 'phone them up and ask them some difficult questions and see if they can provide you with some consistent answers!

Mike
My thoughts exactly - I did start to respond earlier but thought better of it.

When checking with the "insurance intermediary" I would tend to ask to speak to the senior person there (Ben Cue?) rather than one of the, "helpful but not necessarily fully clued up, Essex girls"

There is some uncertain wording on both the Comfort and the MHF policy documents regarding trailers in mainland Europe as against UK

In Europe if the MH cannot continue, a "Suitable" hire vehicle will be provided (escape clause states that a replacement MH may not always be available)

I would guess you could ask for and expect to get a hire car with a towbar.

I am with MHF and have a toad Smart car - I will be asking the question tomorrow although with a toad it's not such an issue as with a trailer.

Cheers

Dave
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 17-05-2013, 08:40 Thread Starter

I have asked the questions and apparently it's the RAC who word the breakdown section of the policy documents and therefore MHF insurance are going to ask for clarification on the ambiguous points.

Although MHF insurance are assuring me that they have had no problems in the past and there is European trailer cover, although it does not state this, I would rather have the confirmation in writing as I have know of other insurance companies using the lack of or implied wording as a get out clause.

I am due to get an answer soon so will get back with the outcome for any other travellers with the same circumstances.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 20:21

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
Any update ??

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if itís in a caravan!) I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 22:36

We are with Saga and we are covered for the trailer in Europe - as long as it is attached to the MH!
When we discovered this, we asked for an extra to cover the trailer when parked away from the MH - which costs an extra 21.50 GBP.

Sorry, that doesn't really help but they are so slick, these insurance companies...

Patrick
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 13-03-2014, 08:23 Thread Starter

Sorry Mrplodd
But I gave up in the end trying to get written confirmation from MHF ins.
I initially wanted to know if the trailer was covered carrying a vehicle whilst being towed and I was assured it was, meaning that if the van broke down the whole rig including the trailer and car would be towed to the nearest service area.
There is nowhere in the insurance booklet stating this nor would and faction of the insurance organisation confirm this in writing.
I fortunately had no problem whilst abroad last year and have subsequently sold the car and trailer so I won't be testing the verbal assurance this year.
Not much help I'm afraid but it does seem that you just have to trust what your insurance agent says verbally.

terry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page