Motorhome Facts Forum banner

water tank overflow

10K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  Road_Runner_644 
#1 ·
Does any body know how to cap a Elddis Autoquest 175 water tank overflow outlet ? losing so much water on the road leaves me with just half tank of water after an hour or 2 driving . Model year 2014 .
Appriecate any advice please.

#2 ·
Sounds like a design issue. Have you asked the manufacturer. I would expect any overflow pipe to be to be designed such that it only passes water when the tank is full. They are usually fitted to the top of the tank so normal driving should not pose a problem.

#3 ·
We have had this subject before and I suggested that the overflow pipe does not rise above the tank top level and is best with a loop in it. so it can come out of the side of the tank near the top, but then needs to rise up to above the tank level and then drop down to drain away.This is what ours does.

cabby

#5 ·
I had this on the Laika tank, my cure was to attach a 2 foot hose and make it into a coil, put it as high as possible, only lost a drop or two afterwards

Reactions: cabby
#6 ·
I had this on the Laika tank, my cure was to attach a 2 foot hose and make it into a coil, put it as high as possible, only lost a drop or two afterwards.

Keep the open end high, if it drops down you could end up with a syphon.

#7 ·
I had this on the Laika tank, my cure was to attach a 2 foot hose and make it into a coil, put it as high as possible, only lost a drop or two afterwards.

Keep the open end high, if it drops down you could end up with a syphon.

#9 ·
I'll need carrying away before long if I have to keep reporting on what I can't do :( :(

Do like the new name though.

What's it stand for, I mean the JWW? 3 instead of 7 took a bit of working out but I got there :roll: :roll:

#13 ·
J for John WW for Wodger Wabbit ;) ;)

I had a mate who was Dyslexic and had the same initials, that's how he responded to anyone asking, as he signed JWW, people faces were a picture :D :D long gone now sadly.

Reactions: jiwawa
#14 ·
#15 ·
Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the overflows though?

#17 ·
Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey

#18 ·
Nope, i've got a gurt hole in the side of the van where I pour water in, when the tank is full it spills out of the hole around the sides of the hosepipe that fills it. I then put the cap on and the job's done.
Water then remains in the tank instead of spilling out over the road as I drive along. I used to find that my tank contents dropped by about 25% over a 50 mile journey before I fitted the valves.

#19 ·
Good point Pete, like Gurt, not used enough IMO :D :D

I wonder why they put them there though, as the inlet caps can breath.

#21 ·
I wonder if the purpose of the "overflow" pipes is to let air out of the tank as it fills with water?
When I'm topping up the tank with a watering can if I'm on site and don't want to move, I have to pour water in fairly slowly or I get an airlock and it gurgles and spits water out of the filling hole.

#25 ·
I think this may answer the original question, and also the spluttering when filling up, at least in terms of what happens on our van.

I don't know whether this is standard on a Hymer, or an after fit item, but it's just a tap like used in beer making or some such other pastime.

When filling up, it's manually opened to expel air, and when it starts chucking water out, the tank is full.

When tank full, just close the tap.

If tap isn't closed after filling, we can be tracked by the following the stream of water on the road for a good few miles :)

There is a one way valve on the overflow, to stop air being sucked in, and there is also a breather pipe at the top of the tank, with a one way valve, where air can be drawn in, but not expelled.

Both these pipes come from a t-piece fitting on top of the tank.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.