Travel to France/Europe - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 18-07-2011, 18:37 Thread Starter

Travel to France/Europe

Hi, I have just bought my first motorhome, a swift firenze on a fiat ducatto base. My family (partner and 4 children) would like to to rance next year, has any one got any advice on getting there, i.e channel tunnel v ferry and camping there.

Much appreciated,

Maizie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 18-07-2011, 18:55

My Motorhome: RS Endeavour
Personal Aire
Wellcome to MHF. I suggest you browse the France touring forum at https://www.motorhomefacts.com/forum-125.html There will be plenty of information there and then if you have any specific questions post them in that forum.

peedee

The best journeys are not always in straight lines.
To read about our travels visit >this page< Latest updates 6th March 2019
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 18-07-2011, 18:56

The tunnel is quicker than the ferry - but more expensive. Sailing Dover/Calais or Dover/Dunkerque usually takes about 90 minutes-ish, just time to have a meal and check our the (not very) duty free shop. We always use the ferry and usually find good deals on return sailings. There are lots of good campsites in France, a quick search of motorhomefacts or a general google search will bring up lots of helpful info. July & August are busy months in French campsites. You'll probably have to go then as well because of the kids school holidays so it might be worth considering advance booking some or all of your intended sites.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 18-07-2011, 19:09

We have always found France to be quite easy. Buy the Aires books you will be suprised at the location of most of them, by the sea or lakes and near to towns.
A couple we have just stayed on that are next to the sea are Berck Sur Mer and Forte Mahon Sur Plage. These were both paid Aires, with fresh water, waste water and toilet dump! The first being 6 euros, the second being 8 euros.
Lots of families were at these two, they took the kids to the beach during the day and they are not too far from Calais. They are on the icampsites data base if you have that or in the Aires books.
In France, if one site is full, there is another close by. If it is campsites that you do want, then you may want to try the Municiple sites, they are normally sign posted in towns and not a million miles from Aires.
As for ferry or tunnel, we have only ever used the ferry , time to stretch your legs, but will be considering the tunnel next time as we took the dog for the first time this year and unusally for him, he was very quite when we returned to the van on our return, mind you the sea was very rough.
Enjoy your trip and your motorhome
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 18-07-2011, 19:51

DFDS ferrys are the cheapest. Dover - Dunkerque. Buy an ACSI card you will save a fortune on campsites. We got one this year and did just that.
E mail for more info.Ian.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 18-07-2011, 20:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainsel
DFDS ferrys are the cheapest. Dover - Dunkerque.
Agree with that but expect some changes under current new management...
Main tip: Always check prices with operator direct. Most of the "agencies" & "consolidators" rip you off.
Patrick
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 18-07-2011, 20:08

An ACSI card will be a waste of money IF you are going in mid-summer with kids.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 18-07-2011, 20:40

Send a message via AIM to stevee4 Send a message via MSN to stevee4
Be warned France is getting expensive. I have done 3 x 3 week tours. This yeara has cost 30% more than previous. Expect to pay 5 euro a drink.
That said France loves motorhomes. The roads are so smooth and empty in comparison to the UK I would feel hard done if I got into more than 5 traffic Qs in 3000km.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 18-07-2011, 21:42

hi and welcome.
i would also agree that ACSI is a waste of money if you go after the first of July, but there are sites that come back mid to late August.
watch toll road charges as they are expensive.
Travelled to the south this year and its not cheap
enjoy. loverley country
Tissy
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 18-07-2011, 21:53

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevee4
Be warned France is getting expensive. I have done 3 x 3 week tours. This yeara has cost 30% more than previous. Expect to pay 5 euro a drink.
That said France loves motorhomes. The roads are so smooth and empty in comparison to the UK I would feel hard done if I got into more than 5 traffic Qs in 3000km.
Strewth Stevee4, where do you drink?

Don't think I have paid more than €2.40 for most drinks and thats steep for me.
I guess Paris and the Cote D'azur in high season might screw you more than the rest of France.

Ray.

The FSA formerly SIB & PIA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. So they changed their name again to the FCA.
http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page