Proactive tracker alarms - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 20:01 Thread Starter

Proactive tracker alarms

Iím about to buy my first motorhome and would appreciate advice on alarm systems.
The dealer is recommending a proactive tracker system (approx £1000 + £100 pa). The main argument for proactive is that the van will be stored when not in use.
Does anyone have any experience of this type of system or have some other recommendations please?
Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 20:26

PRO ACTIVE TRACKER

Hi Peterpjr40

I've got a Phantom Pro Active fitted on my Suntor, the fitting of which by Brownhills is a long story which is documentated elsewhere.

Since then it seems to have worked well when I've set it off accidently. The Phantom control room have taken about 10 - 15 minutes to phone me to check whether all is well. Not actually tested the accuracey of their locating yet, perhaps will soon.

It's due another "peace of mind " test shortly, I'll try to remember to let you know how it goes.

Suggest you try their web site for costs and what it should be capable of.

Regards

bill
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 09:16

'Tracker' Security Systems

Hi - the only 'proactive' system I have ever had dealings with is the Tracker system on vehicles in my place of work. Whether it is appropriate for a MH I've really no idea but they may well be worth a look as there are two options and the cost appears reasonable to protect a £25K + piece of kit....details below:

Tracker Network (UK) Ltd began trading in 1993 and launched the Tracker Stolen Vehicle Recovery System. Since then, Tracker has been installed in over 200,000 vehicles. Tracker Monitor and Tracker Retrieve are the only stolen vehicle recovery systems operated by all of the UKís 52 Police Forces. It is also approved by 29 vehicle manufacturers and over 70 insurance companies.

TRACKER RETRIEVE
The Tracker Retrieve unit is a small electronic homing device hidden in your vehicle. It has no tell-tale antennae or aerials to give its presence away. When you report the theft of your vehicle, the unit is activated by the Tracker Control Room via a network of radio transmitters. The unit then emits a silent signal which allows computers fitted in Police cars and helicopters to track the vehicle Ė and anyone driving it- down to the exact location.

TRACKER MONITOR
Tracker Monitor uses the same core technology as Tracker Retrieve, with the exception that it actually senses the theft of a vehicle and automatically alerts Tracker Network, who then contact you to inform you of a probable theft. As soon as the theft has been confirmed, the unit is activated and the Police then track and locate the vehicle.
Tracker also offer a GUARD & RECOVERY SERVICE. When your vehicle is found, a uniformed Security Guard will stay with the vehicle until it is returned to a location of the customerís choice.

THE COST?
Tracker Retrieve costs £269 inc. VAT for the unit and installation. Then there is a monitoring cost of £75 per year or a one off payment for the duration of ownership, of £245.
Tracker Monitor costs £434 inc. VAT for the unit and installation, with a monitoring cost of £90 per year or a one off payment for the duration of ownership, of £290.
Guard and Recovery Service costs £19 per year or a one off payment of £54.
The Club is currently negotiating discount for Club Members who are interested in purchasing one of these systems, contact the Hotline for more info!
If you would like more info about Tracker itself, contact:

Tracker Network (UK) Ltd
Otter House, Cowley Business Park,
High Street, Cowley,
Uxbridge, Middx, UB8 2AD
Tel: 01895 234567
Fax: 01895 234117

Regards
Dennjill

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 09:26

Tracker Security

BTW the above extract on the Tracker device was from the following site - for information or more details

http://www.ltv-vwc.org.uk/W_Spin/ws_mar2000/Tracker.htm
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 10:22

Hi Den

Now that "looks" a fantastic system and a bargain price on the duration of ownership monitoring (if you intend to keep the vehicle for a while)

I would like to see the recovery rates, ie vehicles recovered vs How many actually stolen, Hopefully it will be far better than the none equiped average, the only slight downer is that they are not saying on their site.

I have seen figures of 90% bandied about on forums, but none of the makers seem to say, I would certainly want to know.

Initialy I would think there are several ways to defeat Tracker, one it would obviously need to be powered by the vehicle battery, remove vehicle battery it would then I assume switch to a backup this would have to be very small ( the tracker is an Hidden unit ) so Just on Physics alone I would guess 1-3 days max on the back up.

Jamming, tracker will have a licenced frequency Jamming would be an easy thing to do.

Having a detector to see whether vehicle is Tracked

Cover and Strip, Hide in a shipping container underground parking these would absorb the signal strip and search the vehicle, theres only so many places and its extra wiring, not easy but not to difficult either.

Thats Just me thinking out loud probably more ways to defeat.

Note that they are getting European coverage, this costs more but, will maybe interest long term travelers.

George

"If my answers frighten you . . .then you should cease asking scary questions."© 2006 George Matthews All rights reserved
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 17:56

I have a trakm8 fitted to my motorhome. The main advantages of this over the others I looked at are that there are no subscription charges, it is less expensive at around £500 (altough I was lucky enough to find mine on ebay for £200), and it is relatively easy to move to another vehicle - this is the second vehice I have had it fitted to.

Basically it alerts your mobile (or a group of mobiles) by text if the vehicle is moved from its current location, or the alarm goes off. It gives current lat/ long, and direction and speed of travel. You can query the location at any time to reassure yourself it is where you left it! It can also advise if a preset maximum speed is exceeded and your best 0-60 time! All the various features are set by sending text instructions from your phone.

I also have the GPS part hooked up to my laptop to provide active routing.

The web site is http://mytrakm8.com/products/trakm8/
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 18:22

Tracker, have a fantastic recovery rate- about 98% or similar. It works in some underground car parks and in metal shipping containers. ALL of the UK police forces have a tracker detection device fitted. This is because Tracker provide it free to the police to find their "lost" vehicles, plant etc. No other tracket type company can promise what this co. does. Most vehicle are found extremely fast ie within 6 hours, but more often within 2 hrs.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 20:18 Thread Starter

Thanks for all this really useful information, I am trying to digest it as I go along. There are obviously a lot of systems out there and I will need to understand which system is going to be best for me. Your help is much appreciated.
Den-n-Jill, you mention 'the Club' and a 'hotline'. Can you provide a bit more info please?
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 23:24

The club referred to is the London and Thames Valley VW club, link as follows: http://www.ltv-vwc.org.uk/home.htm the article on the Tracker is from that site

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpjr40
...you mention 'the Club' and a 'hotline'. Can you provide a bit more info please?
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 23:28 Thread Starter

Thanks for that, will look at the link tomorrow, it's late and too much vino!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page